Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindagail41

HAVE: October Plant Trade

lindagail41
18 years ago

Its time to begin thinking about the fall plant trade in Atlanta. I have offered my daughterÂs back yard again and we have proposed October 15, 22, or 29. Please let me know your preferences on dates. For those who didnÂt attend last fall, Kathlin lives in East Atlanta, near GGG. If you havenÂt responded yet because you donÂt like any of those dates, let me know that too. I suggested those because we old people appreciate the cooler Saturday afternoons. The first two weekends in Oct are usually pre-planned in my family (parental birthdays).

Also, let me know if you want to do the food thing again.

There are two good strains in exchanges that tell a lot about how we operate. One is titled "Wanted: to tell you a little about how our plant swap works", the other "Have: final date!! April 23, 2005." And we are always open to new ideas.

I will watch this strain with zesto, but if postings are made elsewhere I canÂt guarantee I will see them. IÂm looking forward to a GREAT fall trade.

Linda

Comments (100)

• WestEnder
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wildflower,
    Yes, I will break off a piece of my plant for you and even try to get it rooted before October. Also, I've been meaning to point you to this website, where they offer for sale an unbelievable variety of these plants, which are apparently officially known as stapeliads, perhaps more specifically as huernia. I don't have a clue what the correct name for my plant is, but it looks exactly like yours except it's larger and thicker. It hasn't bloomed yet this year, but the one you gave me has bloomed several times and is blooming now. Thanks again!!

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Wildflower, I may have another stapella. Do you want it?
    It is a houseplant someone gave me. Honestly it might not be a stapella but from that family. It's not really my thing...

girlgroupgirl

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Marcy, I want to apologize for not answering your post....I was just reading back through here and double-checking my lists & don't see where I ever answered you! I'll bring you some white and pink brug cuttings. I will have a lot of these to share at the time of the trade.

WestEnder, I love the site! I had no idea there were so many, and now I'm not sure exactly what I have!! I know it's 'orbea variegata', but I see they have several different types of those listed..I'll attach a pic of mine. Notice the flies on the top bloom...

GGG, I'll be more than happy to take that plant off your hands!!! I've become really interested in these the last couple of years. Let me know if there's anything on my list you'd like in return. If not, I'm sure I can come up with something else.

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I have a start of Pipe Vine potted up for the plant trade, I'll donate it for a door prize if we are going to do door prizes this time.

Lindagail, looking for door prizes????

GGG

P.S. the plant is yours windflower I think it might be something that sounds like "hernia", lol. It is like a non-spiney looking cactus thing.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

I just found this thread and I'm so excited that I'll be able to come. Here is what I'll have to bring if anyone wants any.

yellow corydalis
    society garlic
    purple flowered Mazus pretans
    Alaska shasta daisy
    Becky shasta daisy
    well rooted beauty berries (several)
    well rooted tardiva hydrangea (a few)
    well rooted white and pink brugs
    St. John's Wort
    purple coneflowers
    Royal Standard hostas
    Lanciflora hostas
    strawberry begonias
    Archangel lambium
    red cypress vine
    Autumn Joy sedum
    Southern Shield fern
    solid green ajuga
    orange croscosmia
    September Charm anemone
    Virginia Sweetspire
    Butterfly Ginger
    perineal strawberries
    well rooted Blue Crown passiflora (hardy)

Probably more I can't think of now, but I'll post later.

Plants I'd like to get:

Various oxalis to plant with my hostas (Wildflowers, do you have any more purple?)
    clematis
    named hostas (espeically minis)
    dwarf mondo grass (Maycy72 - any left?)
    agapanthus
    rainlilies
    blackberry lilies
    Viburnum snowball
    Limelight hydrangea

Thanks for doing this again!
    Carmen

• pam_3
    18 years ago

Carmen,
    I would like one of your beauty berries, please. Check out my list to see if I have anything you would like. I do have lots of hostas (solids and variegated, lime green, too.) The only ones I have a name for are Alba Marginata.
    Thanks!
    Pam

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Well, it was rough looking through this whole thread, exciting and full of anticipation! Whew! Thanks Lindagail and your daughter!!! I will bring food, too.

KathyGA, I have your honeycomb buddleia--it is fully rooted and living in a pot. I think we talked about trading it for Chicago Royal daylily?

Carmen:
    I'd love beautyberry rooted cutting--I can bring a blackberry lily? (I think I only have 2 so I can only bring one--I can also bring a small clump of oxalis--it hasn't been spreading for me, strangely enough).

Lucyatlanta: I have Daphne odora. I will try to take some cuttings and see if they do okay. (I'm not a great propagator but will try under a plastic tent.)

Farmerpickle: I have baptisia australis seeds--could we trade for cosmos (if you are able to make it?)

Marcy, I can bring a couple of lily bulbs, stargazer and a white one (tall, large and smell delicious).

Glynis--did you ever root the spirea Ogon? That's still on my wish list (more so than the musa). I'll have to wrack my brain and look at your list some more to think of a good trade.

Otherwise I have:

2 mutabilis rose rooted cuttings
    1 honeycomb buddleia rooted cutting (separate from Kathy's)
    1 passionvine plant
    1 variegated porcelain vine (ampelopsis brevipeduculata elegans)
    several-hyacinth beans (the vine is glorious right now!)
    nicotiana seeds
    1 or 2 giant elephant ear (garden-variety)

Possibly: Rudbeckia Maxima (I think it's called; blue-green leaves, very tall, perfoliated leaves)
    Ilicium florida sucker

And if anybody really wants some, I'll dig up some purple iris, white ginger lily (another great smeller), physostegia and Jacob Klein monarda, Rudbeckia goldsturm; otherwise may not bring them.
    Also: I can try rooting a Blaumeise hydrangea as I also have that.

My wish list:
    Clethra
    Veronicastrum
    Mahonia
    Neat little plants.

Rose

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

Is everyone else getting excited? I make a mental note as I hook up my soaker hoses (Is it EVER going to rain more than 12 drops at our house?)"We can take THAT to the plant swap."We are leaving room in our "new" bed out front for our acquistions!

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi guys,

I have been out of touch for awhile as I lost my hard drive and mouse at the same time so it took longer than it should to diagnose the problem. I lost my list of promised trades so am trying to re-create that. I have sent individual notes to those I made note of on my scratch pad. If we have arranged a trade previously and you haven't gotten an e-mail, please send me an e-mail or post here.

ggg, by all means bring a door prize. Everyone loves a prize!

farmerpickle, I would love a small division of Salvia greggii 'flamimg red' and stevia. Do you actually use the stevia for sweetening? I have a couple of oxalis to trade and a baptisia plant if it will transplant. I just potted two and we will see how they do in the next few days. They have a very long tap root and don't like to be disturbed.

Carmen, I have a potted V 'Snowball' to trade for a little mazus reptans purple and some society garlic. I sure am glad to see your name pop up here.

I have checked my newly rooted hydrangea cuttings and am sure they are strong enough that they can be planted this year or held over til spring. I have at least two of the following and some are from last year so are bigger. But all have good strong root systems now:
    'Emilie Molliere' (white)
    'Blue Bird'
    'enziandom'
    'beni gaku'
    'merritts pride'
    'forever pink'
    'glowing embers'
    purple mophead
    purple lacecap
    Except for 'Emilie' these are all shades of pink and purple in my yard, but some are supposed to be more blue, like 'Blue Bird'. Also I have at least a dozen good healthy ones that I have no idea what variety of hydrangea they are. Maybe they could go on a freebie table!

I'm sorry to hear that some of you aren't getting as much rain as I am. Oh, if only we could share.

Linda Gail

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

hey all, i've been insanely busy lately and so have not kept up with this. i promise i'll check everything out tomorrow and make all the replies :)

and just in case it's one of those random things somebody wants to get rid of, i'm looking for the pump for an outdoor pond fountain- the kind that makes the water from a pond cycle through a little fountain. i have the fountain part, just need the pump :)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Rosie, the darned bush never rooted, sorry!

Carmen,
    I can do two types of oxalis, the purple leaf and also the iron cross and reverse iron cross for you, and Hosta Stilletto (a mini) Do you want? Glad you can come!!

I'm interested in Southern Sheild Fern
    Royal Standard Hosta

girlgroupgirl

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Carmen, if you have any beautyberry left I'd love one, and also the yellow corydalis. I have clematis vines (e-mail and let me know which kind), agapanthus, & rain lilies.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

My internet service has been down at home since Thursday so I had to wait until lunchtime today to post.

Pam, I have beautyberries for you (rooted plants). I'd love your lime green hosta. I'd also like your Agastache foeniculum and pink penstemon if you have any left. Are there other plants I could bring you (or more beautyberries)?

Rosie, I have beautyberries for you, too. I'd love to get the blackberry lily. I'd also like your variegated porcelain vine if there is something else of mine that you'd like.

Linda, it will be good to see you again. It's been too long! Thanks for offering the V. Snowball. I really need that shrub. You bet you can get the mazus reptans and society garlic.

GGG, just how much of the Souther Shield fern would you like? I'm clearing out a space and have several. Just let me know. And, you can certainly have the Royal Standard hosta. They look so nice against the variegated foliage of the surrounding hostas. Thanks for offering the purple and the iron cross oxalis. I saw a garden in Tucker that had them next to hostas and they looked just fabulous. I think the purple oxalis is the only purple leaved plant I like besides heucheras. I would also like your stiletto. They are such cute little hostas, aren't they?

Wildflower, I still have a beautyberry or two for you, plus a whole pot of the yellow corydalis. Thank you so much for offering a clematis, agapanthus, and rain lilies. How do you overwinter the agapanthus? I can't wait to put them in the garden.

I still have lots more plants, and this doesn't have to be a one for one swap on my part. Let me know what you'd like.

Carmen

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Carmen, I can bring you variegated porcelain vine in a pot (fyi-loathsome japanese beetles love it). I am looking for groundcover for under a tree, maybe a sprig of lamium or ajuga--either would be fine. I don't have either of these and would like to try them before I put more valuable epimediums (which I want to get in future) under there.

ciao,
    rb

• pins2006
    18 years ago

I'll bring both afuga and lamium so you can decide, rb. The lamium will spread the quickest, but it will cover up your epimediums, so I'd go with the ajuga if I were you.

• mairenn
    18 years ago

can somebody tell me how the plant trades work, or where to look? I did look in FAQ and How to Use the Forums and Special Instructions...and I don't know how to get on the email list to get directions, etc, in case I might be able to come to the 10/22 plant trade. it sounds like loads of fun.

also I don't know the etiquette. I'm pretty new, what if I don't have anything to trade that anybody wants? do we just bring what we've got even if nobody has said they want it? because I would hate to dig it up if it wasn't going to have a home. can we do seeds too or instead?

i do have cannas. lots of cannas. Pretoria, short yellows, short reds, tall purple-leaf with red flowers, short purple-leaf with salmon/coral flowers. I also have sweet autumn clematis. lots of sweet autumn clematis. baby hollies, native. 2 kinds of gardenias (large once-bloomers and small everbloomers) i can do cuttings from. dwarf nandina. monkey grass. mondo grass. can you tell i am regardening a newish subdivision home? :) Oh, and a small baby Cherokee rose that wants a good home.

Wanted: one of everything:) but especially a yellow lady banks, white lady banks, or any other rose or climbing rose you don't have to spray.

thanks
    !

• pam_3
    18 years ago

Carmen,
    Check your email! :)
    Pam

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mairenn, please e-mail me at lkleem@yahoo.com. I need to have your address so that I can communicate with you off this thread.

And that goes for anyone else who doesn't show their e-mail address on their GardenWeb member page.

Thanks

Linda Gail

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hallelujah! I knew FlowersRme7 couldn't stay away from a backyard full of potted plants. Unless her daughter is in labor that morning, she will be there.

Here's a portion of her e-mail to me.

"I don't have my list updated as of yet so would you please post this for me
    If you have any baby items you no longer need and want to donate or trade them for plants please email me. It's my daughters first baby and she needs everything. She is having a boy.
    I have not updated my trade page since Spring so email me for available plants. Thanks"

She is from Alabama and can't post to this forum, so find her on the member page and e-mail her. Don't do it when you are in a rush because you will be amazed at her long list of available plants.
    Linda

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OOPS!!!

Drop the "7". She is just "flowersrme."

Linda

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flowersrme has now updated her trade list. If anyone has trouble locating her, let me know. I think we all found it tricky to move around this site at first.

Linda

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For those who still are having trouble finding Flowersrme, I am trying to add a link to her home page, and in case it doesn't work I'm just typing it in as well. You don't learn if you don't try!!http://members.gardenweb.com/members/flowersRme

• lucyatlanta
    18 years ago

Rosie, thanks for trying to propagate the Daphne. Please let me know if their is anything I can bring for you. My list is below.

Carmen, if you still have a lot of Southern Shield Fern I would love to have a few if there is anything I have that you would like.

Thanks. --Lucy

This is whatI have so far .....Hosta - blueish green with yellow and regular variegated
    Grandis Begonia/Strawberry Begonia
    Money plant (grown from seed)
    Daylilies - mostly yellow (have not seen rust)
    Nandina
    Liriope - varigated and smaller green type
    Kilmarnack Pussy Willow - not sure how to propagate but will look up if anyone would like it

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Well I think I have at least a partial list so here goes--

Plants I have to trade--
    Variegated Hostas
    Ajuga Burgundy glow
    Ajuga Bronze Beauty (tons of this)
    Ajuga Chocolate Chip
    Daylily Chicago Royal
    Daylily Stella d oro
    Nearly wild Rose
    Hardy Ageratum
    Myosotis
    Variegated Ivy
    Curly ivy
    black eyed susans
    Forsythia
    Golden Oregano
    Hardy Ice Plant
    Purple Butterfly Bush
    Blue star creeper
    Mother of Thyme
    Lime Thyme
    Wooly Thyme
    creeping Thyme
    various ground cover sedums (about 6 different kinds) Balloon Flowers Chocolate mint
    1 catnip plant (I seem to have the only cat who doesn't like it)
    Verbena Bonaris
    lambs ear
    Veronica (Georgia Blue?)
    Rose Campion
    Homestead Verbena
    creeping fig
    Very small unidentified Crepe Myrtle Seedling
    small rooted cuttings from Endless Summer hydrangea and Lady in Red hydrangea
    Purple Heart

Plants I am looking for
    Any shrubs for understory planting
    Serviceberry
    beauty bush
    Beautyberry
    Reeves Spirea aka 'Double Bridalwreath'
    Bottlebrush Buckeye
    Itea
    Cardinal Candy Viburnum
    black Beauty Sambucus
    Southern Gold Sambucus
    The Swan Hydrangea
    Limelight Hydrangea
    Quick Fire Hydrangea
    Snow flake Hydrangea
    Annabelle Hydrangea
    or any Hydrangea paniculata
    Viburnum Bodnantense
    Pink Muhly Grass
    any ornamental grass besides Miscanthis Maiden or zebra Eulalia
    Spanish Bluebells
    Huechera-- Rasberry Ice, or stoplight
    Brunnera 'looking glass'
    lungwort (pulmonaria saccharata)
    Red Cardinal Flower
    Cup plant (silphium perfoliatum)
    ligularia
    swamp milkweed
    Cinamon Fern
    Any no spray roses but especially--
    Westerlund
    Carefree Sunshine
    Weeping willow I will take rooted or unrooted cuttings
    Named Hostas I don't have but particularyly-stiletto, sieboldi Kabitan, Slick Wille and Great Expectations.

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Lucy:
    I would love a money plant. What would you like of mine to trade?

girlgroupgirl

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Lucy, you can certainly have some Southern Shields. May I get a hosta, bluish green w/ yellow from your collection?

Kathy, it they're not taken, could I trade for Ajuga chocolate chip, Nearly Wild Rose (is that the pink one?) and a purple butterfly bush? I have a white one and the butterflies just don't seem to like it.

I have beautyberries and Itea from your want list. I'm actually going to dig up my whole itea (it's huge), so you might just want to come to my house and get as much (or all) of it that you want. I'm in Decatur.

• pam_3
    18 years ago

Kathy, I have some Cinnamon fern (and Christmas fern, too, if that interests you.) It will probably be a little small.

Is the myosotis well behaved? If not, could I have a cutting of your Lady in Red Hydrangea?
    Thanks,
    Pam

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Pam, I just got my myosotis from Springhill earlier this summer. It definitely spreads, but doesn't appear to be something that would be hard to pull out where you don't want it. I will bring you both for a Cinn Fern and I can always take more Christmas ferns even though I have quite a few.

Carmen, I will bring you all 3, and would love the beautyberries and Itea, I will email you, but I think you are almost an hour from me. I also just read your list and would love a tardiva hydrangea and will give you a Hosta in return. I have a Golden Tiara Hosta that may be able to spare a small division if you have that one let me know and I will see what else I can spare.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Kathy, I'll be glad to give you a tardiva. I do have a Golden Tiara hosta and just love them. Is there any other hosta you might have? If not, maybe you have another start of the myosotis.

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

I hope one of you who have been at this a LONG time will bring hardy geraniums to the fall trade...They were very popular at the spring trade. I got one and it looked great, 'til the @$#%&*@# rabbits ate it to the ground!! They also ate my thriving little green-and-gold,and a mutablis rose. Will they come back from the roots? There are NO leaves left on any of the three plants.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Farmerpickle, could I trade for Canna Lily Pink and Hardy Blue Plumbago Ceratostigma plumbaginoides?

What would you like of mine?

Carmen

• lucyatlanta
    18 years ago

Girl Group Girl,
    Will be glad to bring you the money plant and some seeds. If you still have daisies -- Becky or Shasta I would love to have some. Thanks. --Lucy

• lucyatlanta
    18 years ago

Pins2006,
    I would love to have an Autumn Sedum and a Southern Shield Fern. Will bring you a Hosta (will look up the name) or anything else on my list that you want. Thanks much. --Lucy

• rdhanson
    18 years ago

Oct. 22 is very busy for me, but I'm going to try and make room. I'm still very low on plants that I have; would some BBQ pork be a sufficient trade? They are getting good reviews lately. Here's my meager list of what I hope to have:

purple hyacinth bean seeds
    moonvine seeds
    figs
    azalea "George Tabor"
    Clerodendrum aka Harelquin Glorybower
    money plant
    butterfly bush
    beautyberry

Want
    almost any perennial that grows in shade - part sun
    native azalea
    purple lacecap hydrangea
    witch hazel
    corylus
    climbing hydrangea (the last one didn't make it . . .)

Thanks,

Richard Hanson

• WestEnder
    18 years ago

Richard,
    yes, yes, yes on the BBQ! We've also got a lunch thread going a little further down on this exchange forum if you want to post that there. But I'll definitely be willing to trade a plant for BBQ pork. Not everyone eats meat, but I do!

Would you be interested in Hydrangea serrata Beni Gaku? I took a couple of cuttings from this plant last month and they are still looking good so I guess that means they are taking root. I don't think anyone else has claimed them so far. I also took cuttings from a pink-flowering climbing hydrangea I have, but they died. I'm going to try again this fall so maybe I'll have some of that available for you at the spring trade.

When you say "figs," do you mean figs to eat, or fig plants? Figs to eat would be nice. . . . . plants, too, of course.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Thanks, Lucy.

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Richard, I'll be glad to trade plants for BBQ also! Check my list (up near the beginning of this thread) and see if there's anything you'd like. I've run out of a few things, but still have a lot left.

• pam_3
    18 years ago

Wildflower,
    Anybody lay claim on that Crinum americanum, yet? If not, I'm interested! Take a look at my list again to see if there's anything else you would like. (Your Persicaria is looking really good, btw.)
    Thanks!
    Pam

• lucyatlanta
    18 years ago

Linda Gail,
    You have an impressive list of hydrangeas (my favorite plant). Would love to have any of the pink, purple varieties if I have anything you would like. Otherwise I'll take my chances on the open trade. Thanks --Lucy

This is what I have:

Hosta - blueish green with yellow and regular variegated
    Grandis Begonia
    Strawberry Begonia
    Money plant (grown from seed)
    Daylilies - mostly yellow (have not seen rust)
    Nandina
    Liriope - varigated and smaller green type
    Kilmarnack Pussy Willow - not sure how to propagate but will look up if anyone would like

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

Any one have some tall breaded iris or Japansese iris to share? I have burgandy lanvender yellow TB. I just start to collect them so any other colors or bi-colored would welcome.

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay Lucy, I'll bring you a pink and a purple hydrangea for a bluish green/yellow hosta. I have just begun to appreciate the blue leaf varieties.

My property used to be a pig farm and my hydrangea colors are very often different than they are supposed to be. My 'Forever Pink' is a deep, clear rose when fresh and turns red-purple as it ages. And my purples are deep purple. I can't say the strong colors will last more than a year or two in another soil.

Farmerpickle, I have several iris--'Beverly Sills', 'Harvest of Memories', 'Spiced Custard' 'Swingtown' an unnamed very deep purple, and a very tall white, unnamed also. Are you listing three separate iris or one that is lavender, burgundy and yellow? E-mail me to finalize this trade.

Everybody---I need a few folding tables. Please e-mail me if you can bring one.

Linda

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I can bring some iris that is dark in the fall, and light colored in the upper petals. It's an oldfashioned iris and very pretty.

GGG

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Pam, I've got a crinum americanum for you. Would love some of your agastache.

A few days ago I got a slew of tropicals from my relatives in Biloxi who are moving to IN. I've got this huge cordylene - ti plant (click below for a pic) to trade. I already have one of these and don't need two....

I'm looking for some plants for them that will be hardy in IN. Specifically, I know they want some winter-blooming honeysuckle 'lonicera fragrantissima'. Other than that, they like anything fragrant, but it'll need to be able to survive the winters there.

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

I'd love to have that plant!! What can I give you for it?

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Lindabeth, it's yours. Any one of the named hosta you have would be great.

• lucyatlanta
    18 years ago

Linda, thanks for the Hydrangea. I do have a large folding table and will bring with.

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

Thanks Linda and Glynis. I'll email you Linda (I'm open to any iris other than the 3 solid colors kinds I already have :-).

• vroomp
    18 years ago

I have a few plants this fall to trade. Sorry I was unable to find any Wallflower seeds GGG. Lindagail, I have a few Asiatic lillies for you and one Turks Cap if you want it. I have been so busy with work I haven't had a lot of time this year to do much gardening at all! Here's my list of Haves:
    One division of Hosta (June)
    One division of Hosta (Pearl Lake)
    Three White Angel Trumpets
    Several Hybiscus acetosella (Coppertone)
    One Hybiscus moscheutos (Swamp Mallow, Lord Baltimore)
    Several Colocasia esculenta (Illustris)
    Several Colocasia macrohiza
    Bunches of house plants

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus