Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vsjo

WANTED: how does fall trade work?

vsjo
17 years ago

I am reviewing my plantings now and trying to determine what I have and don't want and what I want and don't have. Will someone please provide info on how this trade works? I know that trades can be made ahead of the event but what else? Just show up with what you have? Sales as well as trades? Thanks for info.

Comments (7)

• bmmalone
    17 years ago

trades can be made ahead of time, and you can also bring other plants for the general trade. once you have completed the advanced trades, then if you bring three plants for the general trade, you take three plants from the general trade. Have to say there are normally tons of stuff in the general trade. Apart from that there are wonderful people to meet, and a pot luck lunch. Hope you can make it

• WestEnder
    17 years ago

No sales, by the way. Just trades. or at least that's how it's been done at every one I've been to so far.

• nancybea
    17 years ago

I would love to come too, but I'm new to gardening and don't think I have anything anyone would want to trade for. What happens then? Do I have to bring something to be invited? Are there ever any leftovers at the end of the day for novice gardener-freeloaders like me?

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

nancybea, You still have nearly 2 months so you could start some seeds to trade. People also love to gt things like old gardening magazines or books. Some people like to receive plastic pots that they use for starting their plants or divisions. You might be able to take cutting of the one or two things you may have. Or collect seeds from them. There are a lot of things you can do or I hope I am not speaking out of turn since this is Barbara's trade, but you could also just offer to bring some really yummy food as we usually try to do lunch and I am assuming that will be the case again this year. I also know there are always plants left over that would be available. Also if you post what type of things you are looking for we may be able to bring some things especially for you to help you get started. There are always certain plants that many of us wind up pulling out like weeds since we get so many of them. My first trade I came with nothing but empty pots (they were requested so I wouldn't being the pots unless you confirm that someone wants them and what kind) and I left with quite a nice haul.

• parker806
    17 years ago

WHER IS THE FALL TRADE GOING TO BE AND WHEN. AM NEW TO GEORGIA BUT THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN TO ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ALL THE DETAILS. THANKS VICKI

• bmmalone
    17 years ago

Kathy, what a wonderful reply! Yes, everyone is welcome. There are always lots of plants to trade and that need new homes. Parker 806, this years Fall trade will be in Sandy Springs. If you email me i will give you directions. Hopefully we will do lunch, as in the past........

• jtracy
    17 years ago

I am planning to try the trade out for the first time. I will just sticking to the general trade since I am not sure exactly what I will bring. For anyone who may be interested, I may have some potted divisions of lemon balm, a couple of tulip tree seedlings, rooted hydrangea cuttings, and some seeds for amelopsis manihot, hyacinth bean, and South African foxglove - and whatever else I can round up between now and mid-October.

Sponsored