Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindagail41

HAVE: October Plant Trade Continued

lindagail41
18 years ago

We ran out of space so have to begin a new thread for the October 22 plant trade.

I am looking for some hen and chicks or small sedums suitable for a living wreath. If anyone has extras, please e-mail me so we can arrange a trade.

LindaGail

Comments (109)

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

hey all, a friend of mine is coming with me to the plant trade, and she's looking for saint john's wort if anybody has some to trade. thanks!

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

Anyone~~I still need LOTS of common green Liriope;got a lot from Tonks,But DH just could not go dig anymore (between his bad hip and the heat of summer I nearly killed him!!)Please look at my list and see if I have anything you want...
    By the way,if you do seeds,I'm bringing LOTS!

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Lindabeth, I have tons of plain green loriope. It is the spreading type. Is that what you need?
    If so, I will bring you bags of it. I need to get rid of it!

Kathy, I planted two bottlebrush buckeye seeds in a a 2 gallon pot. It's ready to be set outside for the winter. I can bring you the pot.

GGG

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

ggg if you have any more liriope to spare I'd love some. I just posted on the forum and although I haven't got much to trade at the moment, today I found that I must have been doing something right, as my artemesia, yarrow, russian sage and forythia although they look dead are actually sprouting again at the crown. So by spring I should have lots to trade, including some hardy hibiscus, rose of sharon, daylilies, gaura and ferns.

• hdmchandler
    18 years ago

Hey everybody. I'm trying to make sure that I get back with everyone who tried to contact me regarding the trade. I have sent emails to the following folks

Lindabeth
    Pam_3
    Marcy72
    wildflower
    GGG
    lindagail41

If anyone else tried to get in touch with me and you have not yet heard from me please try me again. I could easily have missed an email from one of you guys and I don't want that to happen.

This will be my first official swap and I'm looking forward to it immensely!

Heather

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

bmmalone,
    I can bring a few bags of liriope for you, and if you have guara in the spring, I'd LOVE some. Was thinking of ordering it!

THANK YOU!
    GGG

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

GGG should have plenty of gaura in the spring. It is one of the plants that has given me great pleasure this year. It has flowered and flowered and flowered and just looks so pretty swaying in the breeze. I have some with green leaves and some with variegated leaves. Thanks for the liriope too, I am putting in five terraces on my hillside. I have dry stacked stone walls up on three of the terraces and am putting liriope around the walls. I have actually planted four of the terraces and now I am waiting for Fulton County to deliver another 55 ton of rock. Look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday, and thanks again

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

Well, my DH and I are going to invite ourselves back to visit Barbarbara next Spring!! Her terraces are going to be FABULOUS! And my guara looked awful this year;I need some advice,I am sure. Perhaps it did not get enough sun.... I don't know if I ought to be happy my trees are growing,or sad.I had only one plant,and maybe I need to move it and get it some company!!

• wildflower
    18 years ago

GGG, from another thread, I would love to try a couple of the curly rush seeds. Please pick a plant off my list for an exchange, because I don't have very many seeds to trade.

Vnginger, I have a question mark written down by your name. I'm not sure if you wanted to do a trade or not, so please let me know.

Marcy, also a question mark...did you want to expand our trade?

I think this is it for me for the pre-arranged trades. I'm starting to get worried that I'll forget something I'm supposed to bring someone, so I don't want to overload myself too much and have that happen....

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

oops, sorry, forgot to email you, wildflower! I'll do that now :)

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

Lindabeth, my Gaura is in full sun and has not had much water recently, and has just about lost its last flowers. Should have some to trade next year. Will try and bring photos of how I have progressed this year.

• blitz_8
    18 years ago

All,
    I have been e-mailing folks to confirm trades, so if you haven't heard back from me, my, or your, spamfilters may have eaten the response. Here are the people that I think I have confirmed trades:
    Marcy72
    Westender
    KathyGA_z7
    Nosyrosie
    If anybody else e-mailed me for trades, please try again!

hdmchandler, I just got your e-mail and will write you back, but the wife needs the computer!

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

i have a dozen or so junipers - can anyone use them?

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

I am trying to make sure I didn't miss anything, if I promised you something and your name is not below, please email me to insure I bring your trade--

Lindagail
    Carmen
    Flowersrme7
    Brenda B
    GGG
    Michelle F
    Blitz8
    vhginger
    Heather
    Vroomp

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Marcy, I have some St. John's Wort if you need it. How much do you need? I'd love some rooted lavendar Rose of Sharon and/or mini mondo grass. Just let me know how much to bring.

Carmen

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

Hi Carmen, my friend would be eager for as much as you can spare :) I can bring tons of rose of sharon.... I'll check tomorrow on the mini mondo situation and see how much I can bring. Thanks!

• goswimmin
    18 years ago

Is anyone bringing seeds to trade?
    I have some that I will probably bring.
    Echinacea
    Rudbeckia Goldstrum
    Helleborus
    Mary

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

ok, I think this is what I have left that's not been pre-traded (yet)- and i'll put today's new stuff at the top:

a HUGE spanish lavender (between 3 to 5 gallon size, and very bushy)
    2 very large clumps of decorative grass (i cut it down so it would be manageable, but also 3 to 5 gallons, and it was 5 feet tall with tasselled ends when i cut it. a matched pair)
    more eucalyptus
    some really neat succulents (last 3 photos here)
    a few orchids that need some major TLC
    very long-fronded fern (may be taken)
    nandina
    liriope
    rose of sharon
    lantana
    forsythia
    coleus
    elephant ears
    fruit tree seedlings (peach, crabapple, fig, persimmon, maybe pomegranate)

and if I'm correct I have trades with the following:
    lindagail41
    pam3
    wildflower
    nosyrosie
    lindabeth
    ggg
    gottahosta
    farmerpickle
    vnginger
    blitz
    hmchandler
    pins2006

(my DH is going to kill me! ) but if i'm missing anyone please let me know asap :)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Marcy, if you are getting rid of Spanish Lavender, I should LOVE it! Mine keeled over in all the rain this summer. Haven't been able to get out and get a new one!!

GGG

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

Marcy, is you have any very long-fronded fern
    or forsythia left I would love to trade. Not sure if I have anything you would like though! have yellow iris, lambs ear, lemon balm, daylilies, - in the spring I should have gaura, russian sage and hardy hibiscus, oh, and some white ginger. let me know

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

Is everyone else getting excited? I look forward to the trades;but it is going to be so nice to see everyone again!You have all helped me convince my DH that I am not the only garden nut in the world. He went to a nursery with me, and nearly choked when he saw the prices of the perinneals...Of course I've been dividing and swapping mine for years. He never realized the cost to replace them. We actually put Round-up on stuff they CHARGE for at the nursery!!!

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Marcy I'll take the succulents if they are still available and I may be interested in the ornamental grasses. Do you know what kind they are? Are they hardy for sure?

• zasha
    18 years ago

Ok I found a spot for my daylillies so they are not comming with. I have at least 10 Iris that I have potted up. I am not sure what they are for sure but you could get Candy Apple, Swingtown, Fringe of gold, or some blue or dark purple iris whose names evade me at this time.

Also anyone who needs to email me should reach me at ahuitzot at mindspring dot com until my domain issues are resolved. Yeah I have no worries about spam on this account since it is so old. It is already spamariffic when hubby checks it but it is the most stable email addy at this moment.

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

so tired.... just got home from work. i'll email responses to people after i make myself some dinner, but i thought i'd list today's new stuff in case anybody wanted to call dibs :)

ggg, i got a pair of spanish lavender today, a little smaller than the other one. so you can have the 3-gallon one of you want, or the pair of one-to-two-gallons, or just one of the smaller ones, whichever you like. but let me know, because i'm going to keep one, and if you only want one of the smaller ones i'll give the other smaller one to someone else. just let me know :)

decorative ivy (smaller than the ground cover kind)
    sorta ruffly-lookin' ferns(if i get no takers on this i'll just mix it in with my other ferns i've promised people)
    another tall bunch of grass.... this one's not chopped short so it's currently quite tall, and has tasselly ends

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Does anyone want my Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of New Orleans'. It's really a beautiful plant, I just won't have room for it inside or in the greenhouse this winter....

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Marcy, take whatever you want and I'll be happy with whatever I get, I'm just so thankful you have it :)

Everyone else, I have more "junk" requests. If you have tiny pots, really rediculously small pots with no writing on them...the type that are firm plastic like 2" square or round (I can take stickers off), I'd love to have them for these odd little plants that are being donated to our church greenhouse. Thanks.

The other thing I need are some pantyhose. WHY? you might ask do you need pantyhose. A) I do not wear them myself so I have no source. B) apparently the best way to germinate iris seed is to place them in a pantyhose and hang them in the toilet tank for several weeks to wash off the germination inhibitor chemicals that coat the seed. Interesting, huh? I'd like to try it!

GGG

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

bmmalone, i can bring you a fern and some forsythia. what color are your daylilies?

Kathy, I;ll bring you some succulents. as for the grasses, i don't know what kind they are, but i have been assured that they are quite hardy. they're lopped off right now but they were probably 4-5 feet tall before they were cut back, kind of a rough edge to the individual leaves of it, and have tasselly sort of ends. sorry i don't know eough about them to be more specific :) let me know if you would like any- i have two matching lopped-off clumps, and one that's not been cut back.

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

Marcy thanks. My daylilies are yellow and orange. let me know if you would like some - i will probably bring some with me anyway!

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Marcy, I'll take the one that is not cut back if that's okay, that way I may be able to tell what it is.

So are we still on if it winds up raining? I just saw they are calling for rain Saturday now.

• lindagail41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As far as I am concerned the trade is on unless there are gale force winds. In the Atlanta area the chances of all day heavy rain are so slim I rarely alter plans because of rain forecasts, plus the forecasters are only right about 10 per cent, so everyone has to make the decision for themselves. I, personally, have spent a lot of time gardening in the rain and sloshing around garden centers and nurseries, too.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Does anyone have any dahlias for trade? I'm just now getting into them and would love to add to the three that I have. I have a Lakeside red, a Little Singer, and an unnamed yellow one that is touched in red.

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Pins, I'll bring you a dahlia. I don't know the color of it, or the name for that matter, but it has a bud on it that should be opening soon.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Thank you so much. Would you like a dahlia or another plant in exchange?

• vroomp
    18 years ago

Geez Glynnis,, wish you had something earlier. I just took over 400 plastic pots back to Pikes to recycle Saturday and lots were small.

On another note: What are we gonna do if it is raining like Hell Saturday?

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

DO THE HAPPY DANCE if it rains on Saturday. We need rain.
    Bring umbrellas, wear your rubber garden shoes.

I should think the only thing that might get the kaibash is food.

GGG

• vnginger
    18 years ago

I am looking for hellobores if anyone can bring them. Like to see some flowers in the winter...

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

btw I also have several newly rooted cuttings of Puerto Rican oregano if anyone is interested. TI believe they are only borderline hardy around here and I haven't tested mine through the winter yet so I took some cuttings just in case. DD was helping me so we made more than I needed. I also have 2 golden oregano potted up. I will bring them for general trade but thought I would see if anyone wanted to claim them first.

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

kathy, i'd love some oregano.... anything else i have that you'd like? so far i have you down for succulents and grass.

bmmalone, the daylilies sound great, whatever you want to bring :)

and for those last-minute traders, i have quite a few bromeliads, more succulents, a very nice potted banana, and all the stuff i haven't traded already- i made my husband go borrow a truck! i hope it all will fit :)

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

oh, almost forgot- also have a few divisions of cast-iron plant

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

even more.... white cane-stem begonias

• vroomp
    18 years ago

Marcy I need Cast Iron Plants if you could tag a couple I will part with another Voodoo or two for you or perhaps something else?

• goswimmin
    18 years ago

I know that this is EXTREMELY late but I finally have everything potted up to go.
    6 Ginger Lilies
    4 large elephant ears bulbs
    1 bright pink hardy geranium- Bevans variety
    1 white peony
    2 very large pink pampas grass
    bag of pink gladiola bulbs
    Blue salvia
    1 white butterfly bush called "white eyes"
    Mary from Gainesville, GA

• vnginger
    18 years ago

Mary from Gainesville, GA, I emailed you!

If anyone can bring Brug cuttings or plants for me that would be great too! I have yellow & pink already. Please email me if you see something from my list & can trade.
    Thanks.

tc

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

mary from gainesville- i would LOVE the bag of glad bulbs if they are still available! let me know if they are what you would like of mine :)

vroomp- i'll tag the cast irons for you. do i have another trade with you? my list is getting confusing :) what's a voodoo?

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Marcy I would love a cast iron plant if you still have one, did you want the puerto rican oregano or the golden oregano or both?

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

Kathy, I'm afraid I only had a small bit of the cast iron... is there anything else? Either of the oreganos would be fine, I only need one :)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Kathy, I have cast iron. I'll dig up a bit and wrap in paper and bring.

GGG

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

If you missed the plant swap,I'm sorry for you!! It was great. Beautiful plants, good food, and the opportunity to renew old acquaintances and make new ones. Time to start thinking about the Spring Swap. Can I ask for some help? I got a varigated Ginger, and one person told me I could leave it outside,well mulched;another said it would die.HELP!!

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

thank you, thank you, thank you. Today was wonderful. Thank you to everyone who helped plan this, thank you to everyone who bought plants to trade, thank you for sharing your plants and knowledge. Gardeners are such wonderful people!

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

The variegated gingers are a gamble :) You can leave them outdoors well mulched and cross your fingers and cover them when it freezes, or you can bring them indoors over the winter and not worry about it.

i agree, it was a wonderful trade! special thanks to blitz for the pavers- they look fantastic :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH