Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: October Plant Trade Continued

Posted by lindagail41 zone 7 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 10:28

We ran out of space so have to begin a new thread for the October 22 plant trade.

I am looking for some hen and chicks or small sedums suitable for a living wreath. If anyone has extras, please e-mail me so we can arrange a trade.
LindaGail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: October Plant Trade Continued

I still need e-mail addresses for estheramgr and lucyatlanta in order to send out final directions. TIA
Linda Gail

o

Oh yeah!!! I also have:

Hens and chicks for LindaGail
Jap Iris (from seed) they're blue
One Sago Palm (also from seed)
One Hymenocallis (spider lilly) someone asked me for it I can't remember who)
a bunch of Glad bulbs (who cares what color, they're Glads)
and a handfull of Muscari bulbs I found in a pot (Grape Hyacinth)
sedum sedum sedum sedum and Creeping Jenny ( Lysimachia nummularia aurea)

What I need:

Sedum (Autumn Joy)
Monkey grass

Seriously!
Whoever brings me the most Sedeum, I have a Passiflora caerulea and a variagated Red Banana just for you.
Of course you know I will be stealing everything else in sight also>>>>>

On another note GGG, I have over twenty Dutchmans Pipes Blooming right now, hehehe.... Looks like a cow exploded on my greenhouse wall!

o

Linda Gail

I've been planning on attending the plant swap, at Lindabeth's invitation. I may bring two other gardeners from the Gainesville area with me!

I have hostas- 7 or 8 varieties, solids and varigated and from large to mini's.

Several varieties of sedges

Native Tiarellas

Perennial Begonias/pink

Scilla campanulata/blue-pink-white

Some native ferns- don't know names

Misc. other items

I'm coming with no trades planned in advance, unless someone PM's me. Sure look forward to meeting ya'll!! Will bring something to eat, too!

Brenda B

o

Hi Everybody. I am new to this group but was extremely glad to find you guys! I'm pretty new to plant swapping on such a grand scale but I can see where it's easy to get hooked. Anyhow, following is what I have to offer and what I'm looking for. It is best to contact me directly via my email address. I live about 2 hours from Atlanta so I'll most likely be one to swap, eat, and run, but I will be looking forward to it! (I assume I am to bring a covered dish for lunch.)

What I have to trade:
Pink Obedient Plant
Green N' Gold
'Goldtrum' Black Eyed Susan
Red Swamp Hibiscus (3 in 1 gal pots)
Dog Hobble (12 in qt pots)
Vinca minor and magor
Burning bushes (12 in 1 gal pots)
Columbines red/yellow-A. canadensis
Loropetalum cuttings
Partridge berry
Pink soapwort-double flowered
Tall pink garden phlox
Sea oats
Grape mahonia
Reseeding impatiens-pinks, magenta, white
Wild Ginger
Lambs Ears
Red Hot Poker
'Alaska' Shasta Daisies
'Autumn Joy' Sedum
Mountain Mint
Horsetail Rush-Equisitum
Various iris-most need at least some water
Lots of natives I don't ahev names for yet-email me for specific descriptions as finding out is half the fun
I also have lots of hexagon concrete pavers to trade-they're ~10-12" wide
I also have 2 sets of electric blue glazed stoneware pots-2 ~12" planters that match and 2 strawberry jars that match (one strawberry jar has a broken "cup" but you never know when something is growing in it and covers it up)

What I'm looking for:
any blue to purple spring and/or summer blooming bulbs
Red and/or white astilbe
any pink, red, or yellow daylily
pink coreopsis
oakleaf hydrangea, any variety even dwarf
evergreen ferns, especially autumn fern
Baptisia any color
'Big Blue' Liriope
Elephant ears
Foamflower
Sweetshrub
Mountain laurel
Witch hazel
yellow and/or purple crocus
pink creeping phlox
tea olive
red crocosmia
buttercups
ruellia
fothergilla
'Snowbank' Boltonia
Blackberry lily
white spiderwort
pink spiderwort
dwarf wax myrtle
daphne
white wood phlox
short goldenrods
white lily of the valley
any small plants you've had sucess growing in terrariums
I'll try anything in these colors-yellow, pink, red to orange, white, light blue violet to deep blue purple
Woodland natives
Plants for clay and sandy soils

Thanks. This is going to be fun!

Heather
hmchandler@alltel.net

o

I have several daylillies that I am bringing. One I believe is Edge Ahead. I also have lots of iris that I will be pulling up in time for the trade. I can not be for sure which ones are which.

o

Dear Heather, I have
tall blue salvia Guarantica, plus Sunny Border Blue for trade (and probably more), some purple ruellia (tall), and boltonia "snowbank" for a dog hobble or two. Let me know if you are interested!

Vroomp:
Do you just want sedum autumn joy, or do you want others? (it's the others I have, not creeping)... I have my eye on the red var. Banana. I WANT IT bad, lol :)

Lindagail, I will bring some hens and chicks and low growing sedum for you. The variegated buttercups has suffered greatly and has gone into dormancy already..it's disappeared (drought). So I don't have that for you or Lindabeth now. In the spring...I PROMISE!!!

o

Lindagail, please send me email directions(even though I think I know where I am going).

I'll take any tall Sedum which likes dry conditions. I have a quick draining bank of mostly sand that requires plants that can take some shade and little water. So far the only thing that thrives there is Sedum Autumn Joy and its cousins.

Glynis, I have two bananas left if you need one. Do you want me keep it alive for you til spring so it's larger in time to plant? I have room for it in the greenhouse if you wish.

o

Vroomp and Heather,
I have Liriope muscari "Big Blue," if you're interested. I'm thinking (if I'm up to it) about digging up about 15 plants. I might can wrangle some sedum "Autumn Joy" out of my mom.
I'd like some sedum in exchange or any natives.
Pam

o

Vroom, I would LOVE for you to overwinter the banana if you can. I'm going to have a hard time keeping things by February as the next (and hopefully, last, for awhile) phaze of renovations is starting in February, along with the dig out of the back yard (which has been on old since they are building a 4 story home directly behind us which has further hampered our run off issues).

THANKS!
GGG

o

I have sent directions by e-mail to all of you for whom I have e-mail addresses. If you didn't get the directions, please e-mail me directly, NOT through GardenWeb.
Linda

o

Vroomp, do you still have your Pearl Lake Hosta? I have some Autumn Joys I can trade for.

Carmen

o

I have a question...I thought at one time or another I'd read something about a "freebie" table at the trade. I have loads of potted indigofera, and wouldn't want to put these into the general trade pool since it tends to be a spreading plant....I don't want anything in return for them, but would rather find a home for them if someone's interested. Would it be ok to bring those for give-aways?

o

Will we also have the seed box, Lindagail? I have loads of seeds to bring, some neat-o stuff!

GGG

o

• Posted by Marcy72 z7/8 Atlanta GA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 22:16

Hey all, I'm trying to get my trades ready.... been out of commission with an injured knee and haven't been keeping proper track of my email, so i'm a bit behind :) Can those of you I have trades with confirm/fill in the blanks?

LindaGail41- azalea (and be prepared, this azalea will have quite a large root ball) for creeping fig

Pam3- ferns/lavender/blueberry for ?

Wildflower- ? for brug cuttings

Nosyrosie- ? for lily bulbs

Lindabeth- ferns for strawberry foxgloves

GGG- ? for escargot begonia

I am of course a lot more concerned about the trades that I can't remember what I'm supposed to bring, so please help me out!!

Also, rdhanson, i'm very interested in your moonvine seeds, and
hdmchandler, i'd love to find a good trade for your pink phlox, blue pots, and as many hexagon pavers as you want to trade.

and are new garden books an ok donation to the doorprize table?

o

Wildflower, I hesitate to say yes to your question about the indigofera, although we do often have freebies. I am not that familiar with the plant and if it is invasive we would prefer that it is handled as a pre-trade. Do you still have variegated cerissa. If so, I would like to expand our trade. Is there anything else on my list you would like.

Marcy, I also have some tuberose and a purple aster for you and new garden books would be great either for a trade or a door prize.

We will have a table for seeds, so GGG, I am anxious to go through your really neat stuff! About the buttercups, a neighbor gave me something she called buttercups. She has hers in full sun and it is doing poorly, so I have hesitated to plant mine, which is doing great in a pot. Should it be shade or part shade? Do you know the latin name? I wonder if it is the same thing.

Linda

o

Marcy, the brug cuttings are freebies. They've really grown like crazy this year so I've got lots of cuttings to share.

Linda, yes I do still have some variegated cerissa. They're all in pre-bonsai form now, but you could let them grow out into a small bush if you didn't want them that way. If you'd like more than one, let me know...I'll take anything you have an extra of for them.

I've been searching around about the indigofera. I know mine is 'kirilowii', but I can't find anything anywhere that says it's invasive. It does seem to spread by underground runners though...My yard is so tiny that I notice stuff like that pretty quickly! But, it's very pretty and blooms on and off throughout the growing season. I'll attach a pic below, and if anyone would like one just let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: indigofera kirilowii

o

That indigofera is cool. It would be worth keeping in a pot. Now I know where Baptisia got the name, "false indigo.'

Someone asked for white Lady Banks and I can't find the that posting right now. Kathlin has a humongous white Lady Banks and she has agreed that everyone can help themselves to cuttings. I'll try to have a handful of baggies available. I took cuttings a couple of years ago and they rooted real well.

Linda

o

People, if you want specific seeds, please look at my seed trade page, and email me a request for the seeds. That way they can be ready and all baggied up for you.

I will also tote a small selection with me to the trade, but if you need specifics, please request. There will be a few seeds with ** "special trade" beside them. Those are seeds that I will not have in abundance, I'd prefer to trade for those instead of just giving them away. Sorry for being greedy about that, but I had to pay good $$$ for those initial seeds (sometimes up to $10 for 10 seeds!!!).

THANK YOU!

GGG

o

Hello,
I have these to trade.
- Many of this incredible rooted plant: Night Blooming cereus (http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/10730/)
- yellow canna
- seedlings of tall japanese maple trees
- yellow LA iris
- purple siberian iris
- Four O'clock (fuschia)

Please also look at my exchange list for other avail items: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/vnginger

I am still looking for the following:

*** Abutilon
Climbing Gloriosa Lillies
Brugs
Gloxinia (other than purple)
Gingers ( not white or pink)
Res Shield Hibiscus
Yellow Bird of Paradise
Black Night Butterfly Bush
Variegated Weigela

Cockscomb seeds (big brain-like looking-not red)

Please EMAIL me directly if you want to trade. Thanks. tc

o

Marcy,
I have these items down for you:
Lantana "Athens rose" (cutting)
Penstemon (cutting or possibly a division)
Astilbe
Everything's lookin' good!
Pam

o

Hey, I'm elaborating on that general 'misc.' in my first post above.

Does anyone want me to bring:

Toadlily 'White Towers' and maculata, some 'Empress'
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

PM me!

Brenda

o

Hey, a few new things I have for trade:

various lantana
lemon thyme
baby fig trees
blackberries
coleus (red edges)
baby elephant ears
baby crabapple tree
baby persimmon tree
baby peach tree

I'm also looking for foxgloves, creeping fig, japanese anemone, knockout roses, toadlilies, and anything that goes well in a colorful perennial garden.

o

To those interested-

I will bring a bunch of crocosmia "Lucifer" corms in individual paper bags, so look for me at the swap! BTW, good choice!!

Marcy- I have a great deal of Creeping Jenny- how much do you want?

Ask me about my hostas, if you're interested, anyone- time to pot them up now- hostas are the only thing on my trade list!

Brenda

o

Marcy:
I have creeping fig which I can give to you, to replace the dead begonia. Sorry, it really was on it's way out!

o

Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 14:39

Brenda, I'll take as much creeping jenny as you want to get rid of!

GGG, don't worry about the begonia :) But I would adore some creeping fig- are you sure I don't have anything you'd want? I feel bad about one-sided trades.

o

VnGinger, you have mail from me.

Marcy, I'd love a little bit of lemon thyme. I got a well-rooted Charles Grimaldi brug, if you'd like that along with the other cuttings.

o

Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 17:34

sounds great, wildflower :)

o

Oops- ya'll shouldn't send me out in the yard to look and gather!!

Anyone like some Selaginella uncinata/ Peacock Moss?

Brenda

o

I am brand spanking new to gardening and georgia. My husband and I are trying to bring to life a barren backyard. Just put dowm some zoysia sod a month back, but most of the daylily and iris bulbs we had planted this spring, never came out??? I could do with some advise, guidance and/or plants. I am very interested in coming to your October plant swap (don't know when and where it is)......can a dish get me in?....don't have any plants yet to share except for some "perennial" impatiens that someone recently sold me. Help!

o

Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 17:51

hey newbie, i live in decatur too... maybe you could take some of my extra plants off my hands.... i don't care if you trade them away :)

anyway, all, i work for a landscape design company, and right now we're switching out summer plants for fall ones. i get to keep whatever i want, so i'm probably going to make a new post on here every day for a few weeks of the stuff i brought home. it all came from millionaires' houses, so you know it's in good shape, and most of it's for trading :)

today's stuff>
green ginger plant (smells amazing and can easily be divided)
geraniums with pink flowers
some ferny stuff that's small and very very fine, looks almost like green mist

and some variegated ginger but that's for me :)

o

Hi Marcy72,

Thanks a bunch for your offer! I would definitely like to get the green ginger plant. How do the ferns and the geraniums do in the winter here? I could probably use the ferny stuff for the shady areas in our yard...although those areas don't drain that well. Do you think they'll survive in such conditions. Since I am just starting, I would be better off with some sturdy hard to kill perennials. Please send me an e-mail and we can work out a convenient time. Thanks.

o

Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 20:08

eep :) I meant those as separate paragraphs- first one to newbie_decatur, second to the forum in general. Sorry if I was confusing! newbie_decatur, I have some different plants to offer you- the ones I was saying I'd be listing every day probably aren't the sturdy perennials you're looking for. I'll email you tomorrow, k?

o

Here is what I have to trade:
Quite a few potted, Bottlebrush Buckeye seeds collected this fall. Many have the root shoots growing already and all have screens to guard against squirrels
Leatherleaf Mahonia seedlings
Several small Oakleaf Hydrangea "Snowflake"
Several small Hummingbird Summersweet Clethra suckers
Several well-rooted Japanese Anise cuttings

A few wants:
Doublefile Viburnum
Mount Airy Fothergilla
Florida Anise "Shady Lady"
Purple lacecap or mophead Hydrangea
Hydrangea serrata "Beni Gaku"
Any variegated Hydrangeas
I would love to do a few pre-arranged trades:
KathyGA_z7, could I interest you in a few buckeyes in return for some of your Ajuga Chocolate chip and Georgia Blue Veronica?
Nosyrosie, How about some of the Clethra in return for a few elephant ears?
Westender, I have a Shooting Stars Hydrangea, but haven't taken cuttings yet, is it too late? Otherwise, I can catch you in the spring.

Blitz_8

o

Blitz_8,

I'm sure it's not too late to start cuttings from your Shooting Stars hydrangea. I've got two rooted cuttings of my Beni Gaku hydrangea serrata which I've offered up to several people but I've checked and doublechecked the postings and I can't see where anyone has said they want them. If anyone has said they do, please speak up now!! Otherwise, Blitz, you're welcome to one of them, can we do a pre-arranged trade - a rooted Beni Gaku for perhaps two Shooting Star cuttings just in case one of them doesn't take? If it turns out I'm wrong and someone was planning to take my rooted Beni Gaku's, maybe we can just exchange unrooted cuttings.

o

Glynis can you put these 2 types of seeds for me? Erigeron karvinskianus "stallone" Santa Barbara Daisy and Cosmos Sulphurea.

Anyone has carnation seeds? Especially looking for the kinds that has different color edges.

o

Blitz8, I do have hummingbird clethra, and in fact I haven't experience with how well they sucker yet. I went to look just now (it's dark) but it looks like it is already making a couple of babies.
I'd really like a baby bottlebrush buckeye, if you don't mind, in exchange for the elephant ears. Let me know.

Thanks, Rose

o

I am very willing to accept large plastic soda bottles, with lids in exchange for plants or seeds :)
We do not drink soda, but I need a few of the bottles for propagation.
So if you are someone new, without plants, this is a great way to get some plants :)

GGG

o

Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 19:40

ok, new stuff: pink begonias, a rooted cutting of dragon-wing begonia, pink geraniums, ivy geraniums, variegated ginger.

o

Blitz_8

Yes Yes Yes! you may have both the choc chip ajuga and some veronica. I am not 100% it is GA blue, looks like it but was sold to me as just "Veronica" I am dying for some of the buckeye's. Also I would love a clethra and japanese anise as well if you see anything else on my list that I could trade you for. I have an unknown purple mophead hydrangea that I rooted from cuttings from a neighbor's bush if you are interested in that.

Vroomp--

do you still have the June Hosta? If so, can I trade for a clump of monkey grass?

o

Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 22:49

Glynis, I can bring you as many soda bottles as you want :)

o

Marcy, do I have anything listed that you'd like in exchange for soda bottles (I need as many as you have).

I also have coming:

Agastache rupestris "Sunset"
Hyssop: " Fragrant Cream"
Blue Hyssop: this is the korean mint hyssop

(Brenda had asked about the agastache and hyssop. I have more than one of each of these varieties)

Snapdragons: La Bella Purple and Black Prince

GGG

o

Thu, Oct 13, 05 at 19:56

Glynis, given the horrific soda intake of my housemates, you may be sorry you said that! But I'll bring trash bags full :) I'd be happy to take some veronica off your hands.

new stuff today: dragonwing begonia, eucalyptus, curly parsley, a small flowering shrub whose name I can't remember but which is sort of tropical-looking and has spherical clusters of small flowers in orange or coral- I have two coral and one orange. And I have a massive, massive arrangement which was taken out of a large pot all in one piece- the center is something that looks kinda like elephant ears but the color is speckled. and that's ringed with full-size ferns and a couple other green plants of varying descriptions. believe me when I say this thing is enormous. when it's in a pot it's probably as tall as me. I'll only bring this for a prearranged trade because I'm not hauling it around unless I know somebody wants it. I can take a picture tomorrow when I get home from work if anybody wants to know what it looks like, but basically if you had a quite large pot you could pop it right in and have a finished arrangement that looks pretty spectacular, bumpy ride home in my car notwithstanding :)

o

Speckled elephant ear? Either caladiums or Illustrus El. ear.
Veronica is yours.
Tell housemates to DRINK FAST, lol.

GGG

o

Marcy, I would looooove the eucalyptus if you still have it available...Check my list and see if there's anything else you'd like.

o

I have another "Katrina survivor" here that needs a home. Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of New Orleans'. It's a good-sized plant in a 3 gallon pot that probably needs to be in a larger pot.

Marcy, I just re-read your post. Is that a silk flower arrangement that you have? I'd love to see a pic. I need something large like that for my living room.

GGG, I've started saving soda bottles for you. Only have 2 so far, but may have a trash bag full by next weekend!

o

Any extra bottles I will take to church as I have been teaching winter sowing to our greenhouse crew. THANK YOU!

GGG

o

Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 18:31

wildflower, i'll check the list and email you. I have several so you can have one for sure, though :) and the arrangement's actually live.... i just took some pictures and i'll try to get them up this evening... it's not actually as big as i remembered, because it had been in a pot on a pedestal. but it's pretty darn big :)

today's stuff: blue pansies, sheet moss, a really neat fern (will post pics of that as well- it's in a smallish pot, maybe a gallon, but hangs down a good four feet with neat ripply sort of fronds), more pink begonias, a pink geranium with pom-pom kinda blooms... and i'm sure i'm forgetting something but oh well :)

o

I am wondering if hdmchandler and estheramgr are planning on coming to the plant trade? I have left messages that I would bring plants, but have not heard if they would want them. Need to organize and be read!

THANKS!

ggg

o

Just added lots of Heriloom Canna Robert Camp. If you want extra please email me direct. Picture Here.

o

Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 21:28

pictures!

here are the pictures of some things i have to trade... first the large arrangement I mentioned (for some sense of the scale, the red stick in the lower right side is the handle of a wheelbarrow), the hanging fern, eucalyptus, tropical flowering shrub, variegated ginger. hope this helps :)

o

All,
I also have about 65 pavers 11.75" square, grey, textured "slate" finish that I would love to part with. Any takers, let me know.

o

Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 22:49

oh! oh! me! please!!!

*grin* Blitz, I'll email you. but i am DESPERATE for pavers :)

o

There are three or four people for whom I still have no address. If you have not gotten an e-mail with directions to the trade, please e-mail me--not through GardenWeb as I cannot reply to that e-mail. My address is on my GW page. The trade is one week from today and I will be away from home all day Friday and leave very early on Saturday morning to get to Kathlin's.

GGG, I recently hear from hdmchandler that she was having car problems and may not be able to attend, but is looking forward to the spring event. I have heard nothing from estheramgr and she is one that I have no address for.

LindaGail

o

Marcy,
I have plenty of monkey grass to bring for you. Do you prefer solid green or varigated? The solid green is a smaller variety both in height and leaf width. I also have a pot that is about 14", white glaze with a pink flower border. If you want it I will bring. If you want these I would love to have either some Eucalyptus, Lantana or Dragon Wing Begonia. Thanks. --Lucy

o
RE: A few late requests

If it is too late for any of these requests, no worries. I'm working on my plants today and next Friday. --Lucy

Vroomp,
I have plenty of Monkey Grass if you still want it. It is variegated with a purple bloom. If you still have the Sago Palm would love to trade. Thx-Lucy

Pins26,
If there is anything else from my list you would like, I would love to have a Tardiva Hydrangea if you still have it. Here's what I have. I am already bringing you a Hosta. Thx. --Lucy

Wildflower,
I would love some Peruvian Daffodils if you still have them and want anything from my list. Thx-Lucy

Lucy's List - HAVE
Hosta - blueish green with yellow and regular variegated
Grandis Begonia
Strawberry Begonia
Money plant (grown from seed)
Daylilies - mostly yellow (have not seen rust)
Nandina
Liriope - varigated and smaller green type

o

Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 17:18

hey lucy, I have tons and tons of monkey grass here already :) but thanks.

o

I just wanted to add a couple things to my wishlist if anyone has any --

Serviceberry (Amelanchier canadensis )
Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)
Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia )
Bottlebrush Buckeye ( Aesculus parviflora )
Hearts a burstin aka Strawberry bush (Euonymus americanus)
Clethra Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia)
Florida Azalea aka Yellow Native Azalea (Rhododendron Austrinum)

Every time I look through a book my ideas keep expanding. Trying to rebuild an understory. If you have any of these check my list and we can work out a trade.

o

I know I have promised yellow iris and autumn jjoy to a couple of people. I still have more yellow iris to trade and also some red and orange canna's. I have a really slow growing variegated ivy that want to grow up, (it really is very very slow growing). I said I would have some trillium but they are dormant at the moment. Does any one want any fern? Also have a little lambs ear. and some small empty pots.

I also still need directions please Lindagail. Email is barbarammalone@hotmail.com thanks

o

I will be trimming my purple wisteria. If anyone is interested in cuttings, please email me directly.

I will also be digging up lots of variegated vinca to make a new flower bed. Please email me if interested.

o

Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 13:15

hey all, a friend of mine is coming with me to the plant trade, and she's looking for saint john's wort if anybody has some to trade. thanks!

o

Anyone~~I still need LOTS of common green Liriope;got a lot from Tonks,But DH just could not go dig anymore (between his bad hip and the heat of summer I nearly killed him!!)Please look at my list and see if I have anything you want...
By the way,if you do seeds,I'm bringing LOTS!

o

Lindabeth, I have tons of plain green loriope. It is the spreading type. Is that what you need?
If so, I will bring you bags of it. I need to get rid of it!

Kathy, I planted two bottlebrush buckeye seeds in a a 2 gallon pot. It's ready to be set outside for the winter. I can bring you the pot.

GGG

o

ggg if you have any more liriope to spare I'd love some. I just posted on the forum and although I haven't got much to trade at the moment, today I found that I must have been doing something right, as my artemesia, yarrow, russian sage and forythia although they look dead are actually sprouting again at the crown. So by spring I should have lots to trade, including some hardy hibiscus, rose of sharon, daylilies, gaura and ferns.

o

Hey everybody. I'm trying to make sure that I get back with everyone who tried to contact me regarding the trade. I have sent emails to the following folks

Lindabeth
Pam_3
Marcy72
wildflower
GGG
lindagail41

If anyone else tried to get in touch with me and you have not yet heard from me please try me again. I could easily have missed an email from one of you guys and I don't want that to happen.

This will be my first official swap and I'm looking forward to it immensely!

Heather

o

bmmalone,
I can bring a few bags of liriope for you, and if you have guara in the spring, I'd LOVE some. Was thinking of ordering it!

THANK YOU!
GGG

o

GGG should have plenty of gaura in the spring. It is one of the plants that has given me great pleasure this year. It has flowered and flowered and flowered and just looks so pretty swaying in the breeze. I have some with green leaves and some with variegated leaves. Thanks for the liriope too, I am putting in five terraces on my hillside. I have dry stacked stone walls up on three of the terraces and am putting liriope around the walls. I have actually planted four of the terraces and now I am waiting for Fulton County to deliver another 55 ton of rock. Look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday, and thanks again

o

Well, my DH and I are going to invite ourselves back to visit Barbarbara next Spring!! Her terraces are going to be FABULOUS! And my guara looked awful this year;I need some advice,I am sure. Perhaps it did not get enough sun.... I don't know if I ought to be happy my trees are growing,or sad.I had only one plant,and maybe I need to move it and get it some company!!

o

GGG, from another thread, I would love to try a couple of the curly rush seeds. Please pick a plant off my list for an exchange, because I don't have very many seeds to trade.

Vnginger, I have a question mark written down by your name. I'm not sure if you wanted to do a trade or not, so please let me know.

Marcy, also a question mark...did you want to expand our trade?

I think this is it for me for the pre-arranged trades. I'm starting to get worried that I'll forget something I'm supposed to bring someone, so I don't want to overload myself too much and have that happen....

o

Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 17:34

oops, sorry, forgot to email you, wildflower! I'll do that now :)

o

Lindabeth, my Gaura is in full sun and has not had much water recently, and has just about lost its last flowers. Should have some to trade next year. Will try and bring photos of how I have progressed this year.

o

All,
I have been e-mailing folks to confirm trades, so if you haven't heard back from me, my, or your, spamfilters may have eaten the response. Here are the people that I think I have confirmed trades:
Marcy72
Westender
KathyGA_z7
Nosyrosie
If anybody else e-mailed me for trades, please try again!

hdmchandler, I just got your e-mail and will write you back, but the wife needs the computer!

o

i have a dozen or so junipers - can anyone use them?

o

I am trying to make sure I didn't miss anything, if I promised you something and your name is not below, please email me to insure I bring your trade--

Lindagail
Carmen
Flowersrme7
Brenda B
GGG
Michelle F
Blitz8
vhginger
Heather
Vroomp

o

Marcy, I have some St. John's Wort if you need it. How much do you need? I'd love some rooted lavendar Rose of Sharon and/or mini mondo grass. Just let me know how much to bring.

Carmen

o

Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 19:12

Hi Carmen, my friend would be eager for as much as you can spare :) I can bring tons of rose of sharon.... I'll check tomorrow on the mini mondo situation and see how much I can bring. Thanks!

o

Is anyone bringing seeds to trade?
I have some that I will probably bring.
Echinacea
Rudbeckia Goldstrum
Helleborus
Mary

o

Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 20:05

ok, I think this is what I have left that's not been pre-traded (yet)- and i'll put today's new stuff at the top:

a HUGE spanish lavender (between 3 to 5 gallon size, and very bushy)
2 very large clumps of decorative grass (i cut it down so it would be manageable, but also 3 to 5 gallons, and it was 5 feet tall with tasselled ends when i cut it. a matched pair)
more eucalyptus
some really neat succulents (last 3 photos here)
a few orchids that need some major TLC
very long-fronded fern (may be taken)
nandina
liriope
rose of sharon
lantana
forsythia
coleus
elephant ears
fruit tree seedlings (peach, crabapple, fig, persimmon, maybe pomegranate)

and if I'm correct I have trades with the following:
lindagail41
pam3
wildflower
nosyrosie
lindabeth
ggg
gottahosta
farmerpickle
vnginger
blitz
hmchandler
pins2006

(my DH is going to kill me! ) but if i'm missing anyone please let me know asap :)

o

Marcy, if you are getting rid of Spanish Lavender, I should LOVE it! Mine keeled over in all the rain this summer. Haven't been able to get out and get a new one!!

GGG

o

Marcy, is you have any very long-fronded fern
or forsythia left I would love to trade. Not sure if I have anything you would like though! have yellow iris, lambs ear, lemon balm, daylilies, - in the spring I should have gaura, russian sage and hardy hibiscus, oh, and some white ginger. let me know

o

Is everyone else getting excited? I look forward to the trades;but it is going to be so nice to see everyone again!You have all helped me convince my DH that I am not the only garden nut in the world. He went to a nursery with me, and nearly choked when he saw the prices of the perinneals...Of course I've been dividing and swapping mine for years. He never realized the cost to replace them. We actually put Round-up on stuff they CHARGE for at the nursery!!!

o

Marcy I'll take the succulents if they are still available and I may be interested in the ornamental grasses. Do you know what kind they are? Are they hardy for sure?

o

Ok I found a spot for my daylillies so they are not comming with. I have at least 10 Iris that I have potted up. I am not sure what they are for sure but you could get Candy Apple, Swingtown, Fringe of gold, or some blue or dark purple iris whose names evade me at this time.

Also anyone who needs to email me should reach me at ahuitzot at mindspring dot com until my domain issues are resolved. Yeah I have no worries about spam on this account since it is so old. It is already spamariffic when hubby checks it but it is the most stable email addy at this moment.

o

Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 18:47

so tired.... just got home from work. i'll email responses to people after i make myself some dinner, but i thought i'd list today's new stuff in case anybody wanted to call dibs :)

ggg, i got a pair of spanish lavender today, a little smaller than the other one. so you can have the 3-gallon one of you want, or the pair of one-to-two-gallons, or just one of the smaller ones, whichever you like. but let me know, because i'm going to keep one, and if you only want one of the smaller ones i'll give the other smaller one to someone else. just let me know :)

decorative ivy (smaller than the ground cover kind)
sorta ruffly-lookin' ferns(if i get no takers on this i'll just mix it in with my other ferns i've promised people)
another tall bunch of grass.... this one's not chopped short so it's currently quite tall, and has tasselly ends

o

Does anyone want my Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of New Orleans'. It's really a beautiful plant, I just won't have room for it inside or in the greenhouse this winter....

o

Marcy, take whatever you want and I'll be happy with whatever I get, I'm just so thankful you have it :)

Everyone else, I have more "junk" requests. If you have tiny pots, really rediculously small pots with no writing on them...the type that are firm plastic like 2" square or round (I can take stickers off), I'd love to have them for these odd little plants that are being donated to our church greenhouse. Thanks.

The other thing I need are some pantyhose. WHY? you might ask do you need pantyhose. A) I do not wear them myself so I have no source. B) apparently the best way to germinate iris seed is to place them in a pantyhose and hang them in the toilet tank for several weeks to wash off the germination inhibitor chemicals that coat the seed. Interesting, huh? I'd like to try it!

GGG

o

Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 21:19

bmmalone, i can bring you a fern and some forsythia. what color are your daylilies?

Kathy, I;ll bring you some succulents. as for the grasses, i don't know what kind they are, but i have been assured that they are quite hardy. they're lopped off right now but they were probably 4-5 feet tall before they were cut back, kind of a rough edge to the individual leaves of it, and have tasselly sort of ends. sorry i don't know eough about them to be more specific :) let me know if you would like any- i have two matching lopped-off clumps, and one that's not been cut back.

o

Marcy thanks. My daylilies are yellow and orange. let me know if you would like some - i will probably bring some with me anyway!

o

Marcy, I'll take the one that is not cut back if that's okay, that way I may be able to tell what it is.

So are we still on if it winds up raining? I just saw they are calling for rain Saturday now.

o

As far as I am concerned the trade is on unless there are gale force winds. In the Atlanta area the chances of all day heavy rain are so slim I rarely alter plans because of rain forecasts, plus the forecasters are only right about 10 per cent, so everyone has to make the decision for themselves. I, personally, have spent a lot of time gardening in the rain and sloshing around garden centers and nurseries, too.

o

Does anyone have any dahlias for trade? I'm just now getting into them and would love to add to the three that I have. I have a Lakeside red, a Little Singer, and an unnamed yellow one that is touched in red.

o

Pins, I'll bring you a dahlia. I don't know the color of it, or the name for that matter, but it has a bud on it that should be opening soon.

o

Thank you so much. Would you like a dahlia or another plant in exchange?

o

Geez Glynnis,, wish you had something earlier. I just took over 400 plastic pots back to Pikes to recycle Saturday and lots were small.

On another note: What are we gonna do if it is raining like Hell Saturday?

o

DO THE HAPPY DANCE if it rains on Saturday. We need rain.
Bring umbrellas, wear your rubber garden shoes.

I should think the only thing that might get the kaibash is food.

GGG

o

I am looking for hellobores if anyone can bring them. Like to see some flowers in the winter...

o

btw I also have several newly rooted cuttings of Puerto Rican oregano if anyone is interested. TI believe they are only borderline hardy around here and I haven't tested mine through the winter yet so I took some cuttings just in case. DD was helping me so we made more than I needed. I also have 2 golden oregano potted up. I will bring them for general trade but thought I would see if anyone wanted to claim them first.

o

Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 17:52

kathy, i'd love some oregano.... anything else i have that you'd like? so far i have you down for succulents and grass.

bmmalone, the daylilies sound great, whatever you want to bring :)

and for those last-minute traders, i have quite a few bromeliads, more succulents, a very nice potted banana, and all the stuff i haven't traded already- i made my husband go borrow a truck! i hope it all will fit :)

o

Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 18:11

oh, almost forgot- also have a few divisions of cast-iron plant

o

Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 19:13

even more.... white cane-stem begonias

o

Marcy I need Cast Iron Plants if you could tag a couple I will part with another Voodoo or two for you or perhaps something else?

o

I know that this is EXTREMELY late but I finally have everything potted up to go.
6 Ginger Lilies
4 large elephant ears bulbs
1 bright pink hardy geranium- Bevans variety
1 white peony
2 very large pink pampas grass
bag of pink gladiola bulbs
Blue salvia
1 white butterfly bush called "white eyes"
Mary from Gainesville, GA

o

Mary from Gainesville, GA, I emailed you!

If anyone can bring Brug cuttings or plants for me that would be great too! I have yellow & pink already. Please email me if you see something from my list & can trade.
Thanks.

tc

o

Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 20:49

mary from gainesville- i would LOVE the bag of glad bulbs if they are still available! let me know if they are what you would like of mine :)

vroomp- i'll tag the cast irons for you. do i have another trade with you? my list is getting confusing :) what's a voodoo?

o

Marcy I would love a cast iron plant if you still have one, did you want the puerto rican oregano or the golden oregano or both?

o

Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 22:05

Kathy, I'm afraid I only had a small bit of the cast iron... is there anything else? Either of the oreganos would be fine, I only need one :)

o

Kathy, I have cast iron. I'll dig up a bit and wrap in paper and bring.

GGG

o

If you missed the plant swap,I'm sorry for you!! It was great. Beautiful plants, good food, and the opportunity to renew old acquaintances and make new ones. Time to start thinking about the Spring Swap. Can I ask for some help? I got a varigated Ginger, and one person told me I could leave it outside,well mulched;another said it would die.HELP!!

o

thank you, thank you, thank you. Today was wonderful. Thank you to everyone who helped plan this, thank you to everyone who bought plants to trade, thank you for sharing your plants and knowledge. Gardeners are such wonderful people!

o

Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 8:32

The variegated gingers are a gamble :) You can leave them outdoors well mulched and cross your fingers and cover them when it freezes, or you can bring them indoors over the winter and not worry about it.

i agree, it was a wonderful trade! special thanks to blitz for the pavers- they look fantastic :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Georgia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here