Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Planting Time!

razorback33
15 years ago

I checked the AccuWeather 15-day forecast and it indicated average or above temperatures for 14 of those days, Only Friday, the 30th, is predicted to be cold and windy. That's etched in stone, right?

Anyway, having an acute case of "Cabin Fever", I decided to plant some of my pot-bound shrubs and after checking to be sure there was some soil moisture, I proceeded with a vengence! (well, sort of!) Selected the locations and planted half-dozen Camellias. 6 more tomorrow and then can start on my pot-ghetto of native Azaleas, Anise, Redbud, Dogwoods, an Oalleaf Hydrangea 'Harmony', a rescued H.arborescens and maybe a Japanese Maple or 2 or 3.

Before accomplishing all of that, I will have to remove several 40-year old Photinia "trees" (Oriential), a chore that I'm not anticipating with pleasure!

Have a few seed and bulbs left to plant, but that can be done indoors, on a rainy day(hopefully!)

Cyclamen are beginning to bloom, Daphne still bloomung and new Helleborus opening every day, within a few more days of cooperative weather, Camellias should begin again.

An ancient deciduous Korean Azalea (Rhododendron mucronulatum) should be blooming shortly, it always does about this time of the year, long before the foliage appears.

Glad I went to Charleston after Christmas to enjoy the thousands of Camellias in bloom. A couple of weeks later, they were wiped out by unseasonably cold temperatures. One reliable weather constant you can depend upon...change!

Have fun! It's worth the effort.

Rb