Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbrier517

Which Tomatoes should you plant?

greenbrier517
14 years ago

After scanning through a recent seed catalog that came in the mail, I noticed the selection of different tomato seeds it offered were quite abundant. I am now confused as ever on which variety to buy.

Are there any particular brands that do well here in south Georgia. I have found the "Big Boy" tomato to do well for me.

If yall know of any other good varieties of tomato, I'd sure appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Comments (8)

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I love the Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato. I have found little plants at both Lowe's and Pikes. I am not a huge tomato fan in general, but this tomato is to die for!!!!! Wonderful flavor and very meaty. Great to eat plain with olive oil and basil -- or between white bread with some Duke's mayo!

Google it and read about it. Very very good. If I plant any tomatoes this year (I may not, due to my battle with the squirrels...) it will be Cherokee Purple.

Good luck!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Big Boy are pretty popular in the South and by all reports they do well. I've not tasted one so I can't compare them to some others, but I surely do agree with Bagsmom! Black tomatoes are DELISH and taste like nothing else! I grew black cherry last year, they were late producers for me here (and they are early producers at a friends farm in Chattanooga, so go figure!!) but have that rich, complex "big" tomato taste. I love Brandywine and go the extra mile to keep the plants healthy for that great taste. I've grown many others, but also love Green Zebra, sungold and Juliette's for their production. I roasted and froze about 40 2 cup bags of just Juliette's and Sungolds, two plants of each this year - incredible production and amazing taste and consistency from small tomatoes. I'm still searching for the best bi-colored tomato to grow here. The Mr. Stripey's I've grown aren't productive and can be "hollow" in the middle, and Dad's Sunrise was great last year but late ripening and not overly productive. Good if you have space for a lot of tomatoes. Nice flavor.
    I've also grown Floradade (spelled several different ways in seed catalogs) and Heatwave which are said to do well along the Florida/Georgia border. They did fine here, producing small, round tomatoes but they lacked fine, fresh garden tomato taste to me.

GGG

• mk87
    14 years ago

I have not had any luck with Mr. Stripey's either. One of the varieties we LOVED last year was "Lemon Boy." It's not heirloom or anything, but it was just such a surprisingly yummy tomato! Bright lemon yellow and a very citrus-y flavor. It just produced like mad too.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Thanks MK!
    I'm always looking for great and unusual tomatoes to grow. Although I love heirlooms, I do like to mix in some hybrids or "modern heirlooms" (newly created plants by crossing and stabilizing older heirlooms) to create diversity. I find it really helps keep up the harvests if for example, it's a very bad blight year and the heirlooms succumb.

• riceke
    14 years ago

The tomatoes that I've had most success with production and plant health wise: Celebrity, Better Boy, Big Beef, Juliette.
    These varieties seem to out produce any other tomato that I've tried and have weathered the heat and humidity that usually takes it's toll on a lot of other varieties.

• caseyf
    14 years ago

Im in South Ga and grow about 30 different tomatoes each year. I also raise seedlings and sell at a local flea market (not trying to sell anything here) so I get feedback from customers each yr.and most popular by the most folks..are Better Boy, Big Boy, Rutgers and Beefsteak..These are most requested .Also..Im not crazy about them..but folks always ask for Early Girl..
    Personally..My husbands favorite is Juliet and it is a very good producer and seems pretty disease resistant. Folks also like good old reliables..like Celebrity and Homestead and then again..I have some folks who only want the wilt resistant BHN-444 and Amelia.
    One of my faves and Ive never had anyone who tried it and didnt want to grow it again..is Matts Wild Cherry..a tiny red currant tomato..Very prolific and disease resistant..and makes from Spring til frost on same plant..Would not be without it.
    I also very highly recommend Sungold.>I love the taste of them..SOme people say they have aproblem with it cracking..but the fruity flavor is so unique and tasty sweet..I always grow it.
    Hope I helped a little and didnt confuse on all the choices.. Im Casey..and Im a tomato addict.. vbg
    Happy Gardening
    Casey

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Casey - not to change the subject -- but since you grow so many tomatoes, tell me -- what do you do to prevent squirrels from getting all the fruit?

If you have thoughts on this, would you mind starting a new topic, so we don't detract from this one?

Thanks!!!!!

• caseyf
    14 years ago

I dont have a problem with squirrels..I think my 4 outdoor cats keeps them away..Sorry I cant offer any suggestions

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES