Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyldecenter

Ever thought of adding chickens to your garden?

WyldeCenter
11 years ago

Eggstra Eggstra! Read all about it!
Brace yourself for the most anticipated chicken event of the year � Chicks in the City � a full day of classes and demonstrations on urban poultry-keeping. Taught by local experts, in five sessions you will know the ins and outs of starting and maintaining your own flock. With lectures on breeds, the best coop for your space, chicken health and wellness � and more � you will be prepared to care for chickens or improve your chicken keeping experience.
With urban farming on the rise as well as concerns about where our food comes from, this timely full day of workshops will engage and enlighten both the committed "locavore" and curious alike. The Chicks in the City Symposium equips guests with all the resources needed to start an urban flock.
Don�t be a chicken � join us this year and get that backyard flock started. After the Symposium, you will have the poise and confidence to join the ranks of urban chicken keepers across America. And in the process, you will reconnect with the food system, just the way Mother Nature intended!
In an eggshell, the Chicks in the City Symposium will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, February 2 and be held at the Oakhurst Church, 630 East Lake Drive, Decatur, GA. Cost is just $50 for Wylde Center Members, $60 for Non-Members. Sign up quickly � registration limited to the first 150 registrants and tickets always fly fast! To register, visit the Chicks in the City page at wyldecenter.org.
Contact Laurin (Lsephos@emory.edu) with any questions.
About the Wylde Center
Founded in 1997, and located on two acres at the corner of McDonough and Oakview in the Oakhurst neighborhood of Decatur, the Oakhurst Community Garden Project works to preserve community greenspace and cultivate the next generation of environmental stewards. We engage people of all ages to take charge of their own health and environment through hands-on gardening and outdoor education programs. Our classes, events, and volunteer projects also offer community members opportunities to enhance their own green spaces and sustainable living skills. For more information, please visit wyldecenter.org.

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

The blasted things escape from my neighbor's pen all the time and dig up my plants and make large holes in my hard. If I ever get chickens, it won't be to add to my garden.

• soleil_blume_hooke
    11 years ago

Agreed brandon. My neighbors chickens would scratch up every seed I planted, every plant I put in the ground.
    My dogs ate one of their chickens, which I thought was fair justice but I had to lock my dogs in the yard after that ... From which they commenced to dig trenches in my yard and destroy my flower beds. Great.

They finally figured out chickens were to much work and got rid of them. We get our eggs from the local farmers market. I do get to have their leftover chicken poop, That, I will add to the garden.

Was thinking about getting Guinea fowl though. Wonder if they destroy gardens?

• VaeVictus
    11 years ago

I read that Guinea fowl are supposed to be less destructive than chickens but are not tame unless raised with a chicken. Sounded like they would prefer a tree instead of a coop otherwise. Not sure how that would work with sub freezing temps - would they be smart enough to go inside a coop then? Irregardless, even Guinea fowl will destroy seedlings unless they are protected till they are bigger but they are supposed to keep established plantings scrupulously clean of bugs. Also snakes which they hunt down in posses. What might work is having a garden fenced high enough to keep them out when there are seedlings but have a "chicken" run adjoining the garden with a gate so that the Guineas could be admitted or excluded as desired.

I thought about getting some Guineas until I found out there is an active den of foxes near me as well as dogs running loose. That and the fact that my garden is far enough from my house to make it more bother than it's worth make it not worthwhile at this point.

• mom_of_lots_of_girls
    11 years ago

Hi! I'm new to the area :) I grew up on a bit of property in Texas and preferred the guinea fowl to hens... They were a great natural alarm system, ate ticks and fleas... And left our gardens alone.

Now when I say great natural alarm system I mean every sound set them off. We had about 8 to 12 at a time. Raccoons will kill them and if you have any chicks you would have to have a safe secured place for them because smaller predators love them. Your neighbors may hate them if they live within earshot.

• ichoudhury
    11 years ago

I actually have mixed feelings about Chicken. I am so glad I added them because for the last couple of years, I have not purchased any eggs, and my near friends and family also. Those fresh eggs are really delicious....really !

Also the chicken manure has dramatically changed the way a lot of my plants were growing (I have seen some significant growth. I usually lay straws or grass clipping in their run and weekly pull them and put it in a compost pile and very happy with it so far. I used to spend a lot of money on compost, topsoil etc, but don't plan to do that anymore.

By the way, I haven't seen a lot of common insect that usually invest my vegetable gardens (or garden as a whole). I think they are very effective at it. I am a strong believer of all organic, so pretty much everything chemical free.

Having said that, there are drawbacks! yes, some folks talked about their neighbor's chicken coming and running a havoc in their garden bed ... that is true. You have to really protect your garden (especially when they are young) and also they will go after those young tomatoes!!! They pretty much dug up all my Lilly!! They made a huge mess with the pine straw bed I had worked so hard to put out ... Oh, did I mention they will come to my driveway and deck area and do their bizzness :))

But oh how they were so cute when they were baby chicks and also it is just so darn peaceful when you are walking around and those chickens are browsing all around you. I don't think I will give up on them, I will figure out how to adopt to them :)

• snuffyinatl
    11 years ago

Guineas do great in a garden.....chickens make great tillers, though....

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner