Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

more big cold?

bagsmom
10 years ago

I don't know how to attach links or anything, but if you go to the wsb website under "weather," read Kirk Mellish's latest blog entry. I really like his forecasting style. He always attempts to educate. Anyway, another Polar Vortex may be heading our way -- and this time, it is not likely to be dry. Could get interesting!

Comments (21)

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

When you start a NEW message the only way to attach links is to do it from the "preview" window. That is when you see the "optional link" box for your link.

Once the message is created it is available to use in every follow up so it's a bit confusing when creating a new one.

Here is the link (he is on WSB radio, I searched WSB TV first!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another express

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

esh -- thanks very much for posting the link!

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Not.one.bit.happy about this forecast. If there a way to put oneself into a trance that tells you that cold, wet, nasty weather is fun?

I'm really getting tired of all the layers of clothes I have to wear to stay warm - INDOORS! Feel like the Michelin man.

Rosie

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie -- to cheer yourself up, remember it's not a forecast just yet. Sort of an interesting report on how things may be setting up. Might not do a darned thing! Remember how all the signs indicated a crazy hurricane year, then there was very little tropical activity. I do like Kirk Mellish, though, and find his articles really interesting! My Mom is up in the midwest and she is totally depressed in January! Can't stand winter. So -- I guess it could be worse! In the meantime, put some Bailey's in your coffee and know that Spring will be here before we know it! :)

• rosiew
    10 years ago

First, get mom to move down here. If that fails send her a light box. I got one this year, have felt much better than in previous winters.

Wish I had some Bailey's! Lordie, that sounds good!

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mom and Dad are going nowhere! They've been in their house for 45 years and are staying put. It will take the National Guard and God Himself to get them out! Makes me nervous for the future, but fortunately, they are healthy and very active! (In better shape than I am!) A light box is a good idea! Thanks for that -- I need to write it down in my calendar for October. I could buy one and it would make a great Christmas gift for her in December. I wish I had some Bailey's too! After I typed that, I started thinking "oh wow... that sounds yummy!" :)

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

That last cold did some damage to the plants I over winter in the sunroom. I guess I need to move some of them into the already crowded dining room and master bath. My husband is going to love that.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Yikes, the 10 day forecast looks miserable.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't shoot me, but I sort of wish if we have to have the cold, then give us something to go with! A little precip. But I know it's for the best if the timing works out the way they are saying. Seems like the moisture will come during the warmer spells.

• allen456
    10 years ago

This weather is driving me crazy! Dripping faucets again? Calgon, take me away!

• allen456
    10 years ago

And now the THIRD hard freeze this month is forecast for next week. I give up. Even my daffodils are complaining.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we'll have several more of these little Arctic dips through Feb. The question is -- will they hit when precip does? We haven't had an ice storm since '99 / 2000. (I remember because I was massively pregnant at the time.) I wonder if this will be the year for another?

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Allen, I'll bet the daffodils are complaining. Bless their sturdy hearts.

Praying, as always, that we don't have an ice storm. Not for my sake but in general. So much damage, so many people in peril. A friend in that '99-2000 storm managed to get wedding flowers delivered to a hotel on 75 in Marietta area. They couldn't get to the church! Mom was catering it herself, hotel staff helped a lot, and the guests were mostly truckers who had walked from their ice bound semis to the hotel.

Ice scares me. Often can't see it. Discover it's there when you put on the brakes.

Stay warm all.
    Rosie

• allen456
    10 years ago

We had a water main break on the street behind us this morning. More water than I've ever seen flow through my yard. Insane.

Worst. Winter. Ever.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Allen, so sorry to hear this. Where is your home? What caused the break - have you been able to find out?

If you still have water, keep those faucets dripping!

• allen456
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosie. I'm just northwest of Athens. Would assume the line froze, but I'm not sure. We do still have water, though we are waiting for them to flush the lines so it will be potable again. Faucets have dripped for 5 nights this month already and we are ready to drip them again next week. So much for planting a saucer magnolia this month, running out of January!

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no, Allen! Very sorry this happened!

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

A lot of times around here, they have claimed that aging pipes combined with ground freeze thaw cycles have caused heaving and shifting and ruptures. It's not that the water itself freezes, but that the ground around the pipes move. Since we've been wetter than normal in the last year, and now colder than normal in quite some time, It does tend to make sense. It's sad, but it makes sense.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Don't shoot me, but I sort of wish if we have to have the cold, then give us something to go with! A little precip.

So how did you like it, bagsmom? ;)

• allen456
    10 years ago

LOL @esh

The old saying, "be careful what you wish for"!

Personally, snow didn't begin falling here until after lunch. My spouse had the day off anyways, my children made it safely home, and we enjoyed a warm, cozy evening around the fire. Hope all my fellow Georgian Gardenwebbers are doing well!

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I am in Pa, just posted on here a few times. It is much later than your last post. Not much going on on the Pa gardeners site so I am visiting your site. I want you all to feel better about your winter. We had several 8-10 days/nights of below zero temps in Pa, be happy you are in Georgia! We are finally getting a break here on some days. I kinda wanted to move to Georgia, but can't leave my home here in Pa, I've been here for about 40 years. When I hit the lottery I'll get me a winter home in Georgia :^)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting