Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

asparagus growers...

jmzms
16 years ago

Been thinking about planting some asparagus. Anyone have success with it in North Georgia? What type do you grow? And how much to plant...what is the average yield per crown?

Thanks.

Comments (33)

• herboil
    16 years ago

I myself would like to know this... ALso, a good supplier of a strain of asparagus that will grow will in the heat...

It would be really cool to get some, so if anyone lives in Alpharetta and has some to trade, I have a lot of stuff to offer.

Avocado trees/seeds/chamomile plants,lettuce plants, lots of saved seeds, etc. Just email me at firesidestrider@gmail.com

thanks!

• jmzms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Herboil,
    From what I've read elsewhere, this place seems to be a great supplier. http://www.jerseyasparagus.com/pricing.html

I also live in Alpharetta, and would be willing to split an order with you. Min order is 25 crowns - I don't need (or have space for) 25 crowns.

But before I commit, I'd like to hear from someone in the south on their success.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

There's a guy about a mile from me, I walk by his veggie garden almost every day. He grows great asparagus in full sun, in raised beds with great soil. It was really beautiful this fall, when the ferns got red berries all over them and then turned yellow. Someday I will plant some too.

GGG

• herboil
    16 years ago

Hey GGG,,,

perhaps we can work out a trade of some sort... Let me know if you want avocado trees, chamomile plants, or a lot of other saved seeds and some odds and ends.

Also, about splitting an order, that sounds good and all but right now money is kinda tight, and when I get money I am more likely just to order 25 for my own... sorry!!

I would still love to hear from someone in GA who has grown avocado..

I remember back when I vistired my uncle in Idaho they grew WILD all over the place... What a treat!!! Being able to stroll a green grassy hillalnd and pick some fresh sparagus sprouts...

I guess that's one of the only few advantages to ling in that terribly cold place up north!@

• herboil
    16 years ago

Ooops, I meant someone who has grown asparagus, and that they grow wild up north :)))

• esthermgr
    16 years ago

My mom grows a beautiful bed of asparagus with high yields in Louisiana, where it is even more hot and humid than here. Her plants are under her blueberries in a raised bed.

• moonphase
    16 years ago

I planted asparagus in a raised bed 2 yrs ago.My neighbors grow it so after seeing hers,wanted some of my own.I planted 2 bunches I bought at Home DePot.You do not harvest the first yr,so this will be my first year to finally get to eat mine.I can hardly wait.I live in Dahlonega and I know it grows wonderful here.
    moonphase

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

Moonphase,

Does the Home DePot up there have it again this year? The one down here does not.

• trudyjean82
    16 years ago

I'm further south an this will be my first year to harvest any. But I planted mine in large containers (past experience, they failed in the ground). But will see this spring how things go. It all started out as an experiment anyway. Just the other day I planted 7 crowns in a raised bed just to try again straight in the ground. Will see how they do.

• mary_greenthumb
    16 years ago

Does anyone know what varieity grows in Louisiana? I was looking in my Farmer's Seed catalog and they have one called Mary Washington Asparagus that says it will grown in zones 3-10. I am in zone 8. Also my husband says that here it is not cold enough and you have to dig it up every winter, I want to raise it but am hitting a wall with him as he is saying it is too much work..

• trudyjean82
    16 years ago

Mary I'm in z8, about an hour from the Fl line. I'm growing Jersey Giants, Mary Washington an the Purple with no problems so far. I think IMO that by raising the beds or containers the roots get the chill hours they need to do well. Mine are where they get mostly sun til the heat of the day the trees offer some shade. Not sure if that matters really, but with some of my other ornimental plants than are not zoned for here I've noticed by raising those roots above ground so to speak seems to do the trick for me anyways. It was a lot of work in the beginning to get them placed, along with the waiting period but oh so worth the work an wait. Whats a little extra work an wait compared to how long they will live an hopefully produce.

• trudyjean82
    16 years ago

Mary I tried to email you in response to your questions but it failed to go thru. If you have another active email address please contact me.

• railroadrabbit
    16 years ago

I'm about half-way between Stone Mountain and I-85. I think the variety I grew was Martha Washington. But may have been Mary Washington. Planted 8 crowns. Seven lived and produced for about 15 years until I had to have new septic lines run. The heavy equipment destroyed them.

I dug a trench about a foot deep and planted them with a couple of inches of dirt on top of the crowns. As they grew a few inches I kept adding dirt until the trench was filled. They were in good brown topsoil.

• blueridgedogwood
    16 years ago

I saw some asparagus at Tractor Supply (Ellijay) last week. I didn't buy any but, as I recall, it wasn't that expensive. Maybe other Tractor Supply stores will have it.

• jennifratrix
    16 years ago

Mine's doing well! Third year in the ground and I got some great spears to harvest this spring. I have Jersey Giants in a raised bed. I also got a packet of seeds of Argenteuil Asparagus and planted those at the same time I made the raised bed for the Jerseys. I think they're actually doing better! And of course it was really cheap to plant from seed. I wish I had planted more seeds now.

• garygoods
    14 years ago

I planted mine just now. (This Morning. I ordered the crowns (2 yrs Old) from Krohnes Farm in Michigan. Very fresh. Here's the link.
    http://www.krohneplantfarms.com/

The only question I have is do you water after planting?

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I think you should! I planted mine in March -- it seems that some is coming up -- but some isn't. Hmmmmmm.

• roswell_organic
    14 years ago

I planted 20 crowns last spring, they did great, got about 5 feet + tall, beautiful. I have the jersey knight and purple passion. Both type are doing great and have come up very strong this year. We tried 4 spears, since we are supposed to wait for next year for a bigger harvest. It was melt in your mouth absolutely delicious. Mine are in raised beds, I did go all out and double dig the whole bed and heavily amended with compost 2 feet down, then topped off with compost for the last 12 inches. I wanted to make sure I would have great drainage. Glad I did after last years rain!
    Good luck with yours!

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

What a great thread, I have also been wondering about it and am glad to see that containers would work.

• malatchie
    13 years ago

Asparagus used to be shipped out of Marshallville Georgia (35mi SW of Macon) by the boxcar load years ago. Heat shouldn't be a problem. Twenty years ago I planted 1000 [no typo--one thousand!!]crowns of a (then new) UC157 hybrid asparagus. Seemed to do OK, had problem with early sprouting in January and February during some warm spells, the next freeze would kill it back. Cut a lot during those January/February periods.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

Malatchie, do you think a whiskey barrel type planter would work for asparagus? I would like to try next year, but it will have to be a container. Thanks.

• jolj
    13 years ago

I would think that large plastic 30/55 gallon drums would be the smallest thing to plant the crowns in. The plant can send roots 10 feet deep & over 15 feet out from the crown.
    I have 25 Mary W.from Walmart,Lowes may have them too.
    Heat is not as big a problem as low pH, gus likes 6.5-7.0.
    trudyjean82, it would be great if you did a thread on how you grew asparagus in pots/containers. This is the 2nd site to say it can not be done. I am going to try it in spring of 2011.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to asparagus

• kngskid
    13 years ago

I live in North Georgia and our Jersey Kings from Gurney's have been in the ground for four years and produces nice spears each year. I believe they started producing in the 2nd year and I am expecting them again in April.

• jesky
    13 years ago

I'm so far south, I'm practically in Florida. A note on suppliers of crowns: I bought crowns from both Territorial and Gurney's. The ones from Gurney's were moldy and half the size of those from Territorial. The Territorial crowns are now in their third year in my garden, and have done beautifully. Gurney's is supposedly replacing their failed crowns, but I have not yet received them. I'm growing Mary Washington and Purple Passion. I don't think you can have too many crowns.

• rjinga
    13 years ago

I purchased 25 crowns from Henry Fields, they were all healthy and good sized and almost all of them came up, they gave me a credit for the ones that didn't!

I will say that they grew very fast (and I'm a lazy gardener) so most times I got to them too late and they were already too tall. I wasn't really supposed to harvest them this past season anyway, (but I was eager to try some).

This year, I'll be more on the ball and get them in time to EAT them!!!

I live near Macon. I just found out that our local tractor supply store has them for $3.99 a bag, she didn't know how many were in the bag but said it was good sized. I'm going to check them out, as I'd like to plant more!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info about the asparagus plants! I am going to tell my FIL to go to the tractor store and get some asparagus!!

GGG

• vic_furiousdreams_com
    13 years ago

I just moved back to the Atlanta (Avondale Est) area and was growing asparagus up in Chester County, PA outside Philly.
    Jersey Supreme & Purple Passion from Jung's did great, the soil there in PA is some of the best in the world.

Anyone have luck with strawberries down here and if so which varieties? Any tips on watering/soil amendments for the heavy clay? I also wonder about the prolonged heat for the berries - when does everyone plant these fruits & veggies?

• robinsnestga
    13 years ago

I'm so excited - got some asparagus crowns at Walmart by the Big Chicken in Marietta yesterday - they had bags of 3 Jersey Giant crowns for $3 a bag and bags of 6 Mary Washington crowns for $3 a bag!! I got 2 bags of the Jersey Giants & 1 bag of the Mary Washingtons - I've read the Jersey Gianta produce higher yields. I've always wanted to try & grow asparagus & can hardly wait two years but hope the effort will pay off.

Also, if anyone is near Dallas, the Tractor Supply has bags of 8 for $3.99 but I didn't ask about the variety and the Tractor Supply in Canton is waiting on their shipment.

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

RobinsNest -- that is my nearest WalMart! We must be "neighbors!" Did they have a lot of asparagus? I might get some more.....

I planted some last year. I just put some 10-10-10 on the beds. I guess I can't eat any this year either. It will be hard!!!!!!

:)

• robinsnestga
    13 years ago

bagsmom - Hello, they had a lot when I went, in the garden center there were lots of the display boxes w/potatoe eyes, onion, etc down the aisle going towards building entrance. I guess we are "neighbors" - we have to go to Marietta or Austell for Walmart and it was funny that we happened to peek in the Big Chicken store as we were on our way to help DS's girlfriend move and then planned to head to the Tractor Supply in Dallas afterwards - saved time and ridiculously high priced gas!!

Anyway, I finally planted my asparagus yesterday and am so excited. Also planted some kale seed, just hope I didn't wait too long - I actually get sunburned yesterday, HA! HA! My radishes & lettuce are doing well and the seeds I started indoors coming along nicely too (tomatoes, cucumber, cantaloupe, bell pepper, jalapeno, chile piquin, etc.

Your member page could almost describe me except for the coyotes and dangerous trees - we had about 15 trees taken down 2 years ago so we really enjoy being able to grow some of our own food. Our property backs up to a natural wetland and there's a lake & creek so plenty of wildlife - I don't seem to be able to get any bats in my bay house though to help with mosquitos. OH, I saw my 1st lizard yesterday & a new frog in the koi pond. Our faithful large red headed woodpecker is back - stunning. I hope we don't get any more copperheads this year - 2 of my dogs were bit last year, cost a fortune.

So you think I should apply some fertilizer to my asparagus once they start growing?? I planted them in some good potting soil mix.

• squeezebox
    11 years ago

has anyone ever used mushroom manure for asparagus mulch I have a 12 x 20 patch and the weeds are killer?

• herboil
    11 years ago

Ok Everyone, I posted on this thread years ago and am proud to say that I have now growing and will be eating some asparagus . However, it's all about space and time management. It will grow, but how big is your yard and HOW LONG do you have to wait for a long hard cold spring?

• herboil
    11 years ago

"

We really enjoy being able to grow some of our own food. Our property backs up to a natural wetland and there's a lake & creek so plenty of wildlife - I don't seem to be able to get any bats in my bay house though to help with mosquitos. OH, I saw my 1st lizard yesterday & a new frog in the koi pond. Our faithful large red headed woodpecker is back - stunning. I hope we don't get any more copperheads this year - 2 of my dogs were bit last year, cost a fortune."

Thanks for sharing this, RobinsNEstGA! What a great story and life you lead! These are things that I hope to accomplish someday.

Sponsored