Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof3wildboys

Growing Brandywine Tomatoes in GA

momof3wildboys
14 years ago

Has anyone has any success w/ any of the Brandywine tomatoes in GA? I live just north of Atlanta and was interested in growing a plant or 2. I do not have much garden space and do not want to waste the space if they will be a big failure. I have a few seeds of Brandywine Suduths Strain but is it worth a try in GA?

Comments (15)

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

I'm curious too since they are so famous. My favorite heirloom is Cherokee Purple, but I haven't tried that many. I live in Cobb County. I have room for about 5 plants, so I know what you mean about having to choose wisely.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I grow brandywine every year. For me, they take extra attention - serious crop rotation and staying on top of disease. The taste is worth it! You don't get a lot of tomatoes per plant - so I think that if you have a small garden you will not get an abundance. Brandywine only set flower in cool weather, so once they flower and set fruit, that is generally it for the year. Last year I held plants over by pruning off any blight carefully, and was able to also get a fall crop (they were green, but ripened indoors).

GGG

• momof3wildboys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I might grow 1 plant just to be able to taste one.

• br33
    14 years ago

Cozy cabin nursery in north Ga, has a strain of red B W THAT I have great sucess with, its a strain they have developed in north Ga. It is strong resist to our diseases most productive BW any where some l lb. plus. search cozy cabin nursery. great prices shipping etc. Bill

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I'm doing my first BW and Ch purple starts this year. I was so excited about the BW, but now sad since you say it doesn't produce much in this heat.

What are the most prolific ones you do suggest for Georgia? I'm in Winder.

• br33
    14 years ago

I`ve grown toms in Lilburn for 38 years with good success. I have 15 varieties (HEIRLOOMS) just planted if you want plants(FREE) that have been successful for me let me know. GOOD LUCK Bill

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Great to have a neighbor like you. I am in Alpharetta area.
    I have started some BW and Cherokee purple, plus few other.
    Some have germinated, growing some not yet. I will check with you lateer. Maybe we can exchange few things.

Cyrus

• br33
    14 years ago

Hi CRYUS Glad to hear from you. Happy to exchanging info with you. Have been in contact with Kathy we can get a three way exchange of info and ideas. GOOD LUCK Bill

• tansu
    14 years ago

have ya'll cross pollinated the two?
    I may have succeded a few years ago, but I don't have any seeds left.
    Also I have some japanese tomato seeds/seedling to swap?

• the_monk
    14 years ago

Although hearing that their slightly less suited for the heat of Georgia summer. I hope that my 20 plants end up being okay. Knowing that they are not super-heat lovers. I may put them near end where their is about 4 hrs shade in the afternoon.

Ferry-Morse B.w. Sprouted quite nicely. I'm impressed with the germination rate. 100% 20 of 20.

• ally99
    12 years ago

I planted one this year, and it's doing fantastic! I just harvested a nearly 3-pounder off of mine!

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Ally, I'm amazed seeing you gorgeous 'mater. Three pounds! Had my first tomato today, just big enough for a fab BLT.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

• ally99
    12 years ago

Thank you! I was pretty amazed too! :) It was DELICIOUS! This is my first year growing Brandywine, and it is now a definite staple in my garden. ;)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Ally that is SUPER! WOW! I've never seen a brandywine that big. I have a Cherokee purple heading into that territory, but never a Brandywine over 1.5 lbs! Good for you! What do you feed it?

• ally99
    12 years ago

Thank you so much! :)
    This is my 3rd year with a veggie garden and I learn so much every year! I started the exciting adventure of composting last summer. For this year's crops, I tilled in compost in February, some lime, and added some blood meal closer to time to plant. When planting, I added some organic garden soil to my raised bed and mulched with slightly unfinished compost. I do not use insecticides or fungicides on my garden, but it's not totally organic because I do use Miracle Grow, 18-18-21, for tomatoes a couple of times during the season. It just seems to work really well.
    Thanks for letting me share my pride with those who I knew would understand! I just finished eating it on sandwiches and burgers, and that was the best tomato I've ever had. :)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County