Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

cabin fever

bmmalone
14 years ago

Not sure about everyone else, but this weather is driving me crazy. Apart from taking the dogs out to go to the bathroom and a very quick walk, I have not been able to do anything outside. My driveway is still iced over, the flower beds are frozen solid, - can't wait for some warmer weather so that I can at least potter around outside.

Comments (9)

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

Yep.

I have some big acorns I found on a walk right after Christmas. They were sprouting, so I have them wrapped in wet paper towel in a sandwich bag. I sure thought I'd have them planted by now.

Winter warm spells are so wonderful + no bugs out. I can't wait until we have one.

At least maybe this long freeze will cut down on insects this summer. I am worried, though, about plants that I had in pots outside. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to move them all up against the house.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

I also have some acorns that I will be planting as soon as the temperature warms somewhat.
    These are fresh seed from a Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, named the Angel Oak Tree, located on St. John's Island, near Charleston, SC, that I collected last week.
    Said to be the oldest tree east of the Miss. River, it's age is estimated to be 1400-1500 years old. Click on the link for a view (large) of the tree.
    The Angel Oak is also host to the Resurrection Fern, Pleopeltis polypodioides, ssp. michauxiana and one Sarsaparilla Vine, Smilax pumila. Did not observe any Spanish Moss or Mistletoe on the tree or in the vicinity.

While Live Oaks are rather common in the SE US, the provenance of the seed is of great interest to me.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Yes, I have so much to do outside too! But at 32-33 with wind, I'm not going out.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I enjoy an evil smile when I think what this might be doing to fire ants. 9 days with highs in 30s and 7 out of those 9 with lows in the teens!

• vicki7
    14 years ago

Gaalan, I agree about the fire ants. I also hope the yellow jacket population gets thinned out for next summer. I am SO looking forward to the temps getting back in the 50s...

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

I think the Fire Ants are becoming adapted to colder weather, as they continue their relentless march northward. Or, maybe they have been spying on us and do as we do, retreat to their den and snuggle up in their Snuggies until the temperatures warm up!
    Other creatures have adapted to freezing temperatures. Armadillos have managed to exist, multiply and become a nuisance as far north as Kansas & Missouri.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

My fire ants are happy as clams. I stepped on a thawed mound in the sun. They were at the top of the soil before the holiday, they are a bit lower now.
    I can't wait to get back out there and do some more soil building. I'd also like my fresh refuse for compost to thaw out and get working!!!

• pam_3
    14 years ago

I've got cabin fever, too. Plus two small children to entertain. I will be glad when it's warm enough to play outside. I feel for our northern neighbors! At least down here the severe cold is only temporary.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I've been winter sowing. It's a great way to break cabin fever. Pam, your kids will love winter sowing in a few years!

Sponsored