Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Local source for seed starting flats

Posted by momof3wildboys GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 9:05

I would like to purchase something like this (see link below) but do not like paying almost the same amount for shipping as I am the product. Any local sources that anyone knows of that is reasonably priced? I am in Gwinnett/Hall but go to Marietta and Acworth all the time and can pick up there too.

www.greenhousemegastore.com/TLC-Plug-Flats-Hobby-Pack/productinfo/CN-PLGHP/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Local source for seed starting flats

I'm sorry, I only know of once source in the city and you must have a business license to purchase from them and they have minimum orders (of a lot of money) -GrowSouth. You can call and ask if they will make an exception for you, perhaps if you pick up. But they will ask you to order the case, everything goes by case or full flat etc. from them.

o

The major big-box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot and sometimes Ace) have seed starting flats or "seed greenhouses", they aren't as high-quantity as the ones you've got linked there, but they come with a bottom and a top cover (clear) and usually run about 72 cells total. I linked a version below. Ferry Morse makes them, as do a coupel other well known companies. Just get your seed starter mix, pour it off into the cells, add water, add your seeds. Works well. Not extremely space-effective (would be better if it were 144 cells), but it works and it's cheap, and recylcable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jiffy Seed Starter Greenhouse

o
RE: almost forgot to tell you ---

I almost forgot to add WHERE you will find them in the store. If you head towards the seed rack area in the garden section, the greenhouses AND seed starter mix are normally there. IF not, ask any sales associate about "Seed greenhouses" and they should know what you're talking ab out.

I've also seen these at WalMart over here on Gresham, so I must assume that they're at other WalMarts as well, inside the store, near the garden section entrance, close to where they keep the exterior decorations like holidays lights, lawn stuff, etc.

o

Last year I got some of those 8-pack flats from some landscaping crew, for free. They are much sturdier than
big box store things and of course ARE free. Some have 4" pots
Those are really sturdy.
I will do the same next year too, GET FREE FLATS AND SAVE THEM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here