Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth growing already

Posted by descout (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 9:40

I planted some Hyacinth bulbs (at least that I remember) I notice they are coming up already. Is this too early for them to start sprouting already? Do they need to be protected from the cold at all? Thanks. I am located west of Atlanta.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth growing already

It's pretty common - daffodils are famous for this. If it gets really cold, you can throw a clump of pine straw or leaves over the tips for the night.

o

Mine are peeking out as well. It's this CRAZY weather pattern.. warm, cold, warm, cold. I'm ready for Spring! :)

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga zone 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 9:47

(I'm near Macon) I have some nearly all the way up and fully flowering already, but interestingly enough NOT all of them are up...so who knows what is going on with the few that have decided it's tim to be popping up! The only thing that I hate about them coming up early is that they wont last long enough (for my liking).

o

In the Southeast, winter is the season during which bulb foliage emerges--daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, etc. Our old-fashioned hyacinths--the Roman hyacinths and the Chestnut Flower hyacinths are up and growing.

o

way down in south GA ours are coming up also.

o

I live in forest park and there are no hyacinth yet. For some reason my gladiolus are started to come up too.

o

I'm in Atlanta and the one that I left in the ground came up, blooms and all and: the ones I stored away started to sprout.

o

I'm central ITP and about 1/2 of mine have some portion of the plant above ground now, but none more than 3 inches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here