Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthermgr

change of heart- ground bees

esthermgr
16 years ago

Many of you may remember that I was trying to kill a nest of ground bees in my yard. Well, I've had a change of heart. I just read in Organic Gardening Magazine that because of the decline in honeybee populations, native pollinators like my bees are vitally important. The article had all sorts of tips on how to encourage bees to nest in your soil! So I've decided to leave the bees alone, along with the ugly nandina they're nesting under. Maybe they'll pay me back by pollinating all my vegees in spring. (I'm going to expand my beds in the only sunny patch in my yard to make room for a vegetable garden. Yay!) So- if any of you were encouraged by my post to go out and exterminate some pollinators - Don't!

Comments (12)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Good for you, esthermgr! I had never heard of ground bees and I thought you had yellow jackets (which are probably pollinators too).

You might want to go back to your old post and update it with your this information.

• herboil
    16 years ago

Ground Bee's are Bumble bee's..

Where as honey bees nest in raised hives, or in the trees, bumble bee's always nest in or very near ground level.

"ground bee's" could also be some other sort of bee type that nests in the ground besides bumble bee's.

I had a huge army of bumbles and honey bee's on my flowers last year, and I plant stuff just for them( Anise Hyysopp- the Bee Buterfly bush)

I saw 4 bee types( including bumble and honey) and several wasp types, and I love when they are around.... one of the bee types was really cool and had to be a local strain, very pretty things.

• georgia-rose
    16 years ago

There are several types of Bee that nest in the ground, Called Solitary Bees, no hives, no queen, no workers, and produce no honey, as do the European Honey Bee and the Bumblebee. The ground bees often build cones with the soil they excavate when building their tunnels. Reminds me of a minature Crayfish(crawfish,crawdad) cone you would find in the swamps.
    They are necessary pollinators and along with the Bumblebees probably did an excellent job for many eons, before the importation of the European Honey Bee, which became a vital addition to the winged pollinators for the expansion of the American agriculture industry. (Food Basket of the World, they say).
    The European Honey Bee population has met with some formidable obstacles in recent years, first it was the mites that infested their hives and spread disease, bacterial infection of their larvae and now, Total Colony Collapse, where the workers leave the hives and never return. What happens to them, has not been determined.
    It is estimated that 95-98% of their World-wide wild populations have been eliminated by disease and pesticides.
    The Africanized strain(hybrid?) is not immune. either.
    Food(hopefully) for thought. :Rb

• travelergt4
    16 years ago

Just FYI, these types of bees seem to be FAR less aggressive than ground dwelling yellow jackets. Last summer I was tearing out a dilapidated shed when I discovered a nest underneath the broken concrete floor. I did not want to spray wasp killer, as these were awesome looking bees! I suited up in lots of carhart clothes and a mask and removed their central "hive" with a shovel, relocating it to another part of the yard. I did not get stung once! They didn't even really attempt. If these were yellow jackets I would have been in trouble. Don't kill these bees!!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

The only bees I dislike are carpenter bees because they bore into my porches each year. Oh, and hornets.
    When I was young, I was taught to be afraid of bees but now, as a gardener, I find them so peaceful.

Although, several summers ago, while I was watering a camellia I was casually kicking a small stump nearby trying to get rd of it. This was Field Lesson #1, Yellow Jackets. I got 23 bites on my legs. They do have my respect now as I swat them away from picnics. I also felt truly initiated as a gardener!

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is an organized hive that is nesting completely underground. They look from a distance just like honeybees. I'm very curious to know exactly what they are. They are middling aggressive- when you go close they don't bother you, but when when I unwittingly started digging up their nest they chased me 20 ft away.

• shot
    16 years ago

Could they be Yellow Jackets? They make their nest underground.

Shot

• bestgrandma_hargray_com
    12 years ago

Snakes and spiders are nothing compared to accidentally hitting a nest of ground bees. Surveying land comes with some danger, but bees are the most fierce critters in the woods if you ask me! We lost some equipment to them and decided to wait until winter to try to recover it. Getting stung in the face is no fun, and the pain lasts two days and the swelling lasts longer. STAY AWAY !!!

• SneakyP
    12 years ago

I have several different types of bees in my yard and they never bother me. They almost seem to realize that it was me that gave them the nectar the flowers on my veggie plants make. If you want to see a bee that's scary looking go to YouTube and search for Japanese hornets now those things are scary. The exterminator will catch one and tie a ribbon to it so they can follow it back to the hive.....IT'S THAT BIG.

• mairenn
    12 years ago

I don't know what kind of hornet ours is, but he's almost the size of a shotgun cartridge. Well, he was. Note to nature lovers, if you don't want to have to kill a hornet, don't carry a yellow cup full of soda pop out on to your back porch.

• celeste
    12 years ago

This ole dawg just learned something new ... hmmm, ground bees. Good to know

• curdog007
    8 years ago

There are both digger bees and mining bees in the USA. Probably 1k+. Around 4k different native bees. Yellow jackets (wasp) are meat eaters that also nest in the grown. Pack a powerful sting. Usually about a dozen at a time. I hate 'em.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone