Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting peas indoors?

Posted by esthermgr (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 10:33

What do ya'll think about the wisdom of starting some sugar snap peas indoors and transplanting them out in about three weeks after it thaws? I've never grown peas before, so I don't know how they transplant. I always seem to miss the brief spring window for sowing them though and this year I am determined to start as early as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting peas indoors?

I always plant them in the fall.

o

GGG, how does that work for you? I had always heard that the seedlings are more cold hardy than the more mature plants and that they wouldn't make it through the winter.

I usually plant mine in the ground late Jan or early Feb. One time I presprouted them in a moist paper towel. (I soaked them overnight first like I do for regular planting.) I can't remember if it worked better. I ought to do a test and plant half the regular way and half pre-spouted.

I think the problem with raising seedlings in pots would be letting them get too big so that the roots are disturbed at planting.

o

Well, it has worked well so far, until perhaps today or this year. At Holy C. we lost all our peas as of yesterday to severe frost bite. Some of mine looked OK yesterday, some did not....

o

Sorry GGG. I lost a few things too.

So with the peas, I will plant some WHEN this persisting cold is over, hopefully. I love sugar snaps.

o

i thought peas and beans were something you were always supposed to sow directly in the ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here