Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ollierose

Southeast Flower Show

ollierose
15 years ago

Is anyone going to the Southeast Flower Show this weekend? Have any of you ever been before?

I'm wondering if it's worth my time. I'm looking to find some unusual seeds and plants. Will I be able to find that there?

Thanks!

Diana

Comments (10)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the list of vendors. Many are familiar names and usually have nice sized, healthy plants. Expect to pay a little more for them at the show, because of the booth expense, but some may offer discounts on the last day.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: SEFS Vendors

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Let us know if you go. I'm not planning to go but am curious as to what it's like in the new location. I went about 5 years ago when it was downtown. Although it was lovely to look at all the exhibits, it just wasn't worth the trip.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

A family member related this tidbit of information about the Flower Show; A representative from the SEFS visited her Garden Club meeting to invite everyone to attend and to enter plants and cut flowers in the competetion. She stated that the entry of Native plants, such as Nandina (domestica) & Mahonia (beali), would not be permitted!
    If you attend, let us know if you see any of those "Native" plants there!
    Rb

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Well now, doesn't that just ruin it for me!

;)

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

However, if you do attend you can always view the list of merchants that will be there...check there website..and e-mail them to bring whatever you would like to buy from them. Hint..Lasy k has a nice selection of native azaleas

• mad_gardener
    15 years ago

I'm going with friends that go every year. According to them, the whole thing can be seen in an afternoon. The exhibits are supposed to be nice. I don't know what the vendors will be selling though, since this will be my first year.

• ollierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to the flower show yesterday and had a wonderful time.

I bought tons of seeds; some great new daylilies and dahlias; a florida anise; cuttings for pussy willow, black pussy willow and red twig dogwood (cross your fingers they root!); yellow trilium; white bleeding heart; a shrub type clematis; shallots, and asparagus roots.

The place that seemed to have the best "native" plants was a nursery out of Clairmont, GA called McManahan's. That is where I bought the trilium, bleeding heart and cleamtis. The people were very nice.

http://www.mcmahansnursery.com/

There was also a vendor where I bought the florida anise - he also had lots of very different azaleas and some native ginger.

My absolute favorite vendor was D Landreth Seed Company. They sell heirloom seeds and the selection was great.

http://www.landrethseeds.com/

I stopped by the Ashe Simpson booth to buy a daphne, but the staff there ignored me to chat with friends. It was very disappointing as I've always been a faithful shopper there. I don't imagine that I'll go back there anytime soon after that experience.

The displays were really beautiful and I got some great ideas for plants that I never knew about!

Thanks for all the input and a great time to anyone else that attends!

Diana

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

There was also a vendor where I bought the florida anise - he also had lots of very different azaleas and some native ginger.

I imagine that was Lazy K. We will have some of his plants to sell at the GNPS Symposium as well.

• stevega
    15 years ago

I also have found that McMahan's has a great variety of interesting and native plants and Scott and Tiffany are the most enjoyable and knowledgeable people to deal with. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the show but I look forward to the Hall County Spring Expo.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

I LOVE Landreth seeds!! One of my favorite booths and I love the lady who mans the booth.

Sponsored