Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

good time for spring plant swap?

laylaa
15 years ago

Any thoughts on what would be a good month to hold a spring plant swap? My HOA is allowing me to hold one at our pool area this spring, but being a Yankee I have a very difficult time determining when "spring" is in Georgia. Seems to me it's been spring since October but I know that's not right. After all I can get a shovel in the dirt and the ground hasn't heaved anything up at me so it must be spring...

but anyhow, if there is a usual time for these sort of events, input is welcomed.

Comments (5)

• mad_gardener
    15 years ago

I'm also a Yank, but how about you time it for around or slightly after the last frost date in your area? In northern Georgia, that would be around April 15th. My thought is that if you timed it for the last frost date:

1. Most folks will have seedlings to exchange
    2. Participants could safely transplant their new plants outside

Let us know what you decide & if your plant swap is a success!

• laylaa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well that makes perfect sense, thanks. Guess I am challenged with common sense lately ("lately" sounds better than "in general"). It's now scheduled for April 18th, Dawsonville. Should be fun! Now I'll worry about it around April 10th.

• mad_gardener
    15 years ago

Glad I could help! Last year we had a plant swap at our library in April. It seemed to work rather well. It makes me wonder if we're doing it again this year... Hmmm.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Be sure to keep us posted. I haven't attended a swap yet. I might even have something to share. Look forward to hearing about Ga swaps. Nikki

• laylaa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It should be fairly simple. April 18th, Dawsonville about a mile north of the outlet mall, just off 400. Probably start about noon-1:00. Luckily I have a flier already written from a previous attempt so just need to change dates. It will be round robin and the only rule - no plants on Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council invasive lists. I'm a bit fragile minded when it comes to invasive plants. If there is any way I can include the GA native plant society info I will, since I personally support their efforts, but that's not in the works yet.

We will raffle off two cedar bluebird houses and one cedar convertible roosting/screech owl/woodpecker/flycatcher box, which my beau builds and I just love so assume everybody is clamoring for them. :)

That's the basics! When it get's closer I will post the flier here. Heck, I've never held a plant swap or even been to one but I figure gardeners are a pretty nice group and will be forgiving, nor would I expect it to be large. I read the instructions! I don't think one was held in this area last year and I wanted one, so I figured I should just go ahead. I'm just that kind of dork.

Sponsored