Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!

Posted by daniel159 31028 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 12:34

Hello,
I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about 3 weeks ago. I placed that plant in a room with sunlight--though the plant itself wasn't getting direct sunlight. In a couple days the leaf tips were turning brown. So I moved the plant in another room under a window where it could get direct sunlight--same result; brown leaf tips AND now the new leaves are already yellow/brown. The entire 3 weeks I've had it I've watered it once, as directed. Furthermore the house temperature has always been 65-68 deg. I occasionally spray a mist on the leaves to dampen them and the plant soil remains mostly dry, as directed.
What am I doing wrong?? It couldn't seem to die any faster then if I yanked it from its soil. Should I re-pot it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then bro

Think about where you usually see dracanea growing successfully? Office building hallways, doctors offices.
Not much light at all.
So you need to take it away from any direct or bright source of light to indirect lighting.
It needs to be dry, do not spray the leaves except to clean every once and awhile.
Check to make sure it doesn't have pests. A dry household can attact house plant pests such as scale, spider mites etc. They'll be evident on the back of the leaves.
Is the plant in a pot that will drain, and excess moisture will be kept away from it's root. That is imperative with this plant.
Try a moisture meter to check for dampness in your plant. If all else fails, it may not have been you at all, it could have been over or underwatered at the store. If you purchased it from a big box store, you can usually take it back.

GGG

o

All the leaves on my plant turned brown and fell off. I am left with a 3 foot stalk. There is a new stalk growing at the bottom but that does not seem to be doing as well either.

o

Why is it not a good thing to mist the leaves on a corn plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here