Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh no! Flowers are blooming!

Posted by Soleil.Blume.Hooke 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 12:40

I'm loving the weather right now. So are the plants.
Volunteers are coming up, particular flowers are blooming.
I temporarily moved all the potted plants back outside in the fresh air.
Doors and windows are open and I haven't had to battle the wood stove in a week.
It's been 80 during the day (79 right now)
with lows of 70 and 60s at night.

If the pecan trees had leaves or if the Florida violets bloomed, I'd think it's spring.
But! Confusingly my apple tree thinks its spring too.
It's going to be 37 tonight ... And it's getting down to 26 degrees this Friday.
The fun is over.
I'm putting row covers on all the volunteers, making some a frames, hauling my plants back in and raking the straw back onto the strawberries.

What am I gonna do about my apple tree!?
Does anyone have an idea?

It's about four years old. about 9ft tall and covered in beautiful pink apple blossoms.
It literally made a bushel of apples last year.
This upcoming cold weather is knock it kuku!

Is there some secret I can utilize to protect it?
Will it even phase it?
If it freezes the blossoms, will that affect its apple production.
Ugh.
Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh no! Flowers are blooming!

If your blossoms freeze and die, that will effect apple production if they have not already matured and been pollinated. The fact they have bloomed so early may mean that not enough pollinators got to them anyway. I have seen some out, but not huge amounts.

There is no secret to protecting plants from climate change.

o
RE: Oh no! Flowers are blooming!

I figured it's just nature man... It's companion tree for pollinating hasn't bloomed. I figure the freeze will knock off the flowers and it will go dormant again until spring. Then, maybe it will be tricked into trying again.
I asked this question over at the fruit and orchard section, that's what they suggested. They also said cover it with a blanket but .... It's a big tree .... Just gonna let nature do its thing. Thanks though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here