Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

I am outside right now!

bagsmom
14 years ago

It is gorgeous! I have a sweatshirt on and I'm hot! I'm mowing up the last of the leaves, chopping them and putting them on the flower beds. There are daffodils coming up!

Has anyone else poked their nose out to see what's happening in the garden?

Comments (13)

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

This is my third day outside, Friday, yesterday and today (after warnup -- my temp was 34°this morning).
    Cleaned off the lawn Friday, have a BIG pile of leaves for the shredder. Yesterday, picked up fallen limbs, cut the large ones for easier handling and have a pile for the chipper. Today, planted some double Peonies that had been yelling at me and removed the Tulips from the fridge. Will plant those this afternoon. Checked on the tender ones, that I'm pushing the Zone with, 2nd year Bottlebrush (Callistemon sp.) from the Land of Oz (AU-NSW), 1st year Nerium oleander (being trained into a tree form) and Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Variegatum', a variegated Confederate Jasmine that I'm training on a trellis. This one would probably be better off if grown as a ground cover, where it could be winter protected with conifer boughs and needles or leaves.
    If the weather continues to be nicely warm, I have a long list of garden and outdoor chores that I hope to accomplish this week! Pruning, deadheading, transplanting, rework a few raised beds, expand a few, etc., etc., The list is endless, it seems!
    Back to my chosen endeavors!

• kaja
    14 years ago

Good for you both! Myself, I can't wait to go outside and play. I have yet to break in my rake and shovel. I've been much too busy lately.

But this weekend - hopefully...!

Congratulations on getting started on your winter chores. I hope y'all got out today. Today was such a nice afternoon.

KJ

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I've had some great days in the garden!!! I moved a ton of "rock" (broken concrete) today, planted several fruit trees and shrubs yesterday, took some cuttings (fingers crossed, they'll take!!), did some clean up work.
    This weekend will be beautiful for working outside too. I just wish I could get my clay dried out a bit (last year, you wouldn't catch me saying that!!!) so I can get even more work done!!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Very nice weather past few days. I hauled and mixed some composted leaves etc and tilled them into the patches, pulled out all semi-dead radishes turned and amended the patch, planted some onions(pearl onions), shallots, sugar snap peas, spinage, fenugreek, dills. I just want those seed to grow on their own terms, whenever.
    I also lightened up the leaves on lettuce, onions and parsley. I checked my taragon, its alive and well.
    I am sure we will have colder snaps later but hopefull not down to teens (for heavens sake lol).
    Later I will start some other stuff in my cold frame.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Cyrus, have you planted fenugreek before here? I have wondered how it would do in humidity?

• mk87
    14 years ago

It has been wonderful! (Up until today's rainy mess anyway...) I have pruned trees and shrubs and cut some of my ornamental grasses. Went to cut another bunch of them and work around some perennials by the mailbox, but discovered that the ground ants are STILL there. @@ What a pain they are. Will have to deal with that before I can do any more in that area. It's such a sloshy mess in our backyard that I can't easily get back and forth to the compost bins, so am just bagging up chopped up leaves to till into the veggie beds soon. Leaves is leaves. :)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

GGG, I planted some last spring. but the timing and spot was not right (too late and to little sun).
    I planted some last fall they did much better. Few(left on purpose) even survived all the freez we had.but most died. So what I have learned is that fenugreek is more of a cool crop or cooler weather loving crop.
    I have already sowed some direct.Let them decide when they want to grow naturally.

• kaja
    14 years ago

I finally broke in my rake, shovel AND pruning tools on Saturday! My driveway now actually looks like a drive way, rather than a path with overgrown shrubs on either side.

Today, I can't hardly move though. Clearly, it's been too long since I've played out side.

But I too had a wonderful Saturday. The weather was very nice for outside work as long as I kept moving about.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

We have had a few days with spring like weather lately. But it is gone for maybe couple weeks, per forecast.
    But all in all my cold crops seem to be moving a bit.

I have been wintersowing some veggies and have planted some snappies and some more pearl onions. Onions are grolwing roots already, but the rest are resting, I guess.
    My vacant beds are turned over, amended with compost, leaf mold, wood ash. They look so fluffed up. I will start some seeds in my cold frame this coming week. It is slightly better than direct sowing.
    have to do somethong to get rid of gardener's winter blues.

• bmmalone
    14 years ago

i have just spent a wonderful two hours outside in my yard cleaning up one side of my creek bed. It looks so different! I'm sure the rain over the next day or so will make it look bad again, but it was so nice to be outside with the sun shining on me.

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

I raked the heavy leaves off the area where I hope trout lilies and blood root will come up. Then I dug some liriope out and planted a swamp azalea. - not a bad afternoon.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    14 years ago

I just dug out some of the perennials I didn't get planted last fall. They were buried in the moving boxes in the garage,so they are starting to wake up a bit, and I should plant some of them, before they get anymore growth too early. I am a brand new transplant, we got here the second week of Jan. I'm in the NW, up in Adairsville, anybody know anyone else up here. I have gardened in AK, Northeasern NV,and Northeastern IL, this will be something so dfferent for me. I'll post the list of of plants I brought on my post "moving to NW GA, and need a sage", I just need some experienced advice. See ya there, if you can help me out. Thank you so much!!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

It is not over untill the fat lady sings (LOL)
    It is getting cold again. I think we have atleast another month of winter here. So, I am starting some seeds in my cold frame. But on the positive note, my cold crops are coming along nicely; lettuce arugula, cabbage, onions shallots, parsley, garlics..
    I sowed some fenugreeg couple of weks ago, they are germinating already. But the peas are not moving yet.