Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof3wildboys

What veggies can I plant in Feb?

momof3wildboys
14 years ago

I am limited on space and my "must haves" are things that have to be planted in April/May (tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra, beans), but I would like to plant a few things in Feb that will be done by mid-April. Can I plant lettuce, carrots & onions in Feb? When I research it, I get different info so any input is appreciated from those that are actually gardening in GA!

Comments (10)

• vroomp
    14 years ago

Anything that can live in ice.

• gt4889
    14 years ago

I'm only on my 3rd year veggie gardening so I'm no expert. But I don't think you'll be able to put anything in the ground in February. Surely no seeds will germinate. Best you can probably do is set out transplants in early to mid March. If you wanted to, you could start things like broccoli, lettuce, and greens indoors from seed Feb 1 to give you nice transplants for March 1.

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

You can plant sugar snap peas. They might be ready to be pulled up before the beans must be planted or you could seed the beans in at their feet.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

You can check out the winter sowing forum. If you make a very "tight" (lower to the ground, plastic very encapsulating) tent in a very sunny area you could get some crops going faster. My bed done up like this has had no frost damage at all because it's been able to hold the soil warmer even through the coldest days we've had. There is damage in all the less encapsulated and taller (more air space to cool off) larger tents.

I start seeds for veggies at the beginning to middle of March depending on what the weather is going to be doing. I just watch...

• mensplace
    14 years ago

Several months ago I made five raised beds using straw bails that I tied together around the outside and filled half way with composted manure. As I made them, I planted many varieties of veggies and then covered them with heavy plastic. Yesterday (1-16) after all the super cold nightly lows had passed, I opened them. Everything had not only sprouted, but done quite well except for two small rows on one side of one of the beds which had not received adequate water from the few holes I punched into the tops of the plastic. The rest, in all five beds were doing very well, so I left them open to enjoy yesterday's rain. Probably, had I put more soil into the beds, the two rows would have survived. Too, if I had had the time, I would have made proper plastic frames to open for watering, but almost five full beds of well hardened veggies really amazed me for a temporary and cheap to make hotbed/frame. Even without the beds, there are others such as broadbeans, alliums, english peas and others that thrive with early planting, especially with a light cover. I had lettuce that was started outdoors. Had they been covered, they would still be there as they did well until the 14 degree nights. However, the roots are still alive and they should come right back. All kinds of onions and garlics made it through with few problems. I have never seen such cold temps her north of Atlanta, so future winters should be easy to handle. I now have many beds of plants that I never would have even thought to try before. The winter is NOT a time to quite gardening and you CAN plant many veggies in January. More tender seedlings STILL are being started indoors ..such as tomatoes, etc..

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Please see the attached document from University of Georgia. Several pages down, you will see a basic planting chart, including dates when you should start planting the different varieties. It is specific to our area. There are other planting charts out there which are similar, but include more varieties. I encourage everyone to share the ones you've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA Home Gardening

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I was very surprised to find out how much of my veg survived the weather. The smaller seedlings survived but are stunted due to cold. almost all larger veg survived but two lots of lettuce. They are all under tents.
    Strawbales work well because they make heat as the straw decomposes. I have frequently used them to make cold frames for hardy seedlings and it works great!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I didn't tent, and lost pretty much everything. the only thing alive is thyme and sage. all of our chard and spinach went bye-bye.

the collard greens in our community garden managed to make it.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

All I lost were radishes(chinese) and some napa.
    survivors are: onions, shallots, lettuce, aurgula, parsley, garlics, kohrabies, leaf cabbage, leeks, thyme, sage. I didn't even cover them. I am in Alpharetta area.

• DianeGA
    14 years ago

I came across a very cool site that will tell you the dates you can sow seeds or set out transplants at the site below. After downloading the file, you enter your last frost date (April 15 in the Atlanta area) and it'll compute all the dates for you. It also has a place for notes so you can enter the varieties you want to try, etc.

Of course, if you want to give them frost protection with row cover, then you could try starting them even earlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lazy Gardener's Automatic Seed Starting Chart

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz