Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthermgr

cheapest source for ferns/ shade plants

esthermgr
18 years ago

What's the cheapest reliable source folks have found for autumn ferns, cast iron plants, and other shade plants? A nursery where I could see the plants and experiment with different combos would be great, but catalog suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• pins2006
    18 years ago

I love Randy's Nursery in Lawrenceville, GA. I don't know if they are the cheapest, but they have lots of different things than Pikes does.

• pam_3
    18 years ago

Be sure to call before you head out to Randy's. They're closed right now for winter, but I think they open back up sometime in February.
    Pam

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

If you live in the metro Atlanta area, you can get all the ferns you want by participating as a member of the GNPS in native plant rescues. I have found over 10 different types of native ferns on rescues. Many other shade plants too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Native Plant Society

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

I joined the GNPS last fall and highly recommend it. Great source of plants and info.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

I agree that the GNPS rescues are a great source of ferns and mosses, perennials, both shade & sun, shrubs and trees. There was one extremely productive site near the Mall of GA that had 10 species of ferns and more than 75 species of garden worthy plants, some that were very unusual. You can't go wrong participating with a great group of helpful members and after a few rescues, you begin to recognize and identify native plants and in the process, make a lot of new friends.
    Rb

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

The plant swap is a good source of shade plants. Although most of the plants seem to be full sun, I have come away with some nice shade plants from the swaps I've attended. I haven't seen any ferns at the swaps - maybe they're gone before I get there or maybe most people don't part with ferns. I know I wouldn't.
    I know I've recommended Goodness Grows so many times I must sound like their publicist, but I get most of my ferns (autumn fern, ostrich fern, southern wood fern) there. Because of their prices I think they are also a good source for hellborus orientalis.

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Rb, what is the name of the Mall of Georgia rescue site? I'm a member of GNPS and last year I went to two rescues. I'd love to go to the Mall one.

Thanks,
    Carmen

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is Goodness Grows online or is it a local store?

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Goodness Grows is not online. They're in Lexington, just east of Athens.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

pins2006--
    The rescue site is on GA20 about 1 mi. S of the Mall. There is a rescue scheduled there this month(Gwinnett, Lawrenceville, Hwy 20). Check the schedule for details. Be advised that this site has been worked for several years and part of it was clearcut in the past and is not accessable due to invasion of briars and weeds, but IMO still has a lot to offer.
    Rb

• suwannee75
    18 years ago

You might consider posting a wanted ad on freecycle. I for one, have all the ivy and mondo grass I could ever want or share, and if I saw a wanted ad for that, I would respond. I just had someone come and dig up 15 old scraggly boxwoods that I was going to replace after I posted an Offer ad.

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

What about Georgia Perimiter College?

GGG

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

does GA perimeter do plant sales?

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Their Fern Madness sale is generally in August. Just call them to see what they are doing this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's link