Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Have you used Cobb County's Bioblend?

anney
16 years ago

Heavens! I should have found my way here before now since I'm a Georgia resident, but I've been posting in the general forums for a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm wondering about Bioblend, offered by the Cobb County Recycling Center. Several things.

First, when you go to get it, is it easy to put into containers and get it back to your vehicle? A long distance? Is it heavy? How does getting it from the recycling center back home work?

Second, I've read a kazillion articles about the standards for recycled organics like Bioblend, talked to the people there, etc., and am still wondering if it's safe to use in a vegetable garden. According to the literature, the Bioblend is treated to meet the highest standards, so it should be safe for growing foodstuff, but I thought I'd check beyond reading. What's your take on its safety?

I can certainly use it for flower beds, I know.

Somebody on another forum mentioned the way it smells. Is it offensive?

Comments (8)

• Sharon4457
    16 years ago

I found this information by doing a site search:

Here is a link that might be useful: More information

• anney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Sharon. That information pretty much answers the questions I had.

I did call the Cobb County Bioblend center to find out if I could get it since I'm in Cherokee County, and they said it would be fine. They also said that the stuff is heavy after rain, so it's easier to load when it's been dry a few days.

Now, to get there. It's a bit of a drive but worth it.

• shot
    16 years ago

Hi Anney... nice to meet you. Let us know how the Bioblend works out. There use to be a mushroom plant near where I live and we would go up there and load up the pickup for just a few dollars. Was great for the garden.

Shot

• dirtjunky
    16 years ago

If the compost has completed its composting process it should not have an offensive smell. That heat process is what sterilizes alot of the harmful weed seeds and disease organisms. My two cents! Good article to read when you have a minute... http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/c816-w.html#Maintain

Here is a link that might be useful: Uga Composting

• anney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, today we went to the Cobb County Vegetative Waste Recycling facility and brought away about 5 square feet of compost in the back of my car. It did have a gaseous smell and was warm, probably around 100-110 degrees, so it hadn't quite finished composting.

It was in two large piles, about 8 feet tall, and you have to shovel it into whatever containers you bring. Or you can load it onto a tarp in the back of a truck or trailer and tie another tarp over it to transport it.

I won't need to plant anything in the majority of it for at least six more weeks, so I think it will be usable by then if combined with a soilless mixture, which I plan to get this week as a 3.8 cu. ft. compressed bale (ProMix BX). The two combined with our "native soil" will nicely fill two raised beds.

I do plan to use a little of it this week along with ProMix in eight five-gallon buckets to grow "patio potatoes". I think that just means potatoes that don't get very large because of constrained space. :-) I'll plant the potatoes themselves in ProMix and surround the lot on the sides with the compost. If it's still warm, maybe it will speed up the potato growth!

So that was my "collection experience" with Cobb County's Bioblend. I'll probably get this much again for some of my other beds, but later, now that I know where to go and how much my car can hold.

• nyc_sod
    16 years ago

I went there back in November expecting to come away with a truck load of compost.

One pile was dark with fine particles like the compost I find in my own pile.However, it surrounded by swarming flies with a nasty stink. There was no way I was shoveling this into my truck.

The other pile smelled earthy buy had large chunks of chipped wood. Not what I would call usable compost.

YMMV

• blakeas
    16 years ago

Sorry for asking a stupid question but is this stuff a soil additive? Or can I use it instead of soil to raise my beds? Or do I mix it with soil I buy?

• anney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

blakeas

It's a soil additive, compost. It would probably be too much to use only it in a raised bed. I'm using it at a 50% rate in some beds, though I think that's a high percentage.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting