Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brett_cpg

Starting Veggies

Brett-CpG
12 years ago

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I was hoping to get my garden started early this year with greens, peas, and broccoli, and wanted some thoughts on how early I can go?

It's been a warm winter, and the 10 day forecast suggests it's going to be even warmer, with virtually no below freezing temperatures. My garden is also slightly elevated and against a brick wall that gets sun all day, which may help protect against frosts/freezes.

Am I crazy for thinking about starting peas, broccoli, and a bunch of greens (lettuce, kale, spinach, swiss chard, etc) this weekend? Even if we do get another hard freeze or two, most of these guys should be able to survive unless it gets into the mid to low 20s, and if worst comes to worst I have enough seeds to replant them...

Thoughts?

Comments (3)

• atl_veggie
    12 years ago

last year I put broccoli, brussel sprouts ... carrot seed in the ground and even with last years above average cold everything grew well
    not sure I would trust lettuce to not freeze to death

tried to till my garden spot last week, it was to soggy, will take a couple more dry days

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    12 years ago

Are you talking about direct sowing, not covering anything? Just wondering, I am anxious too, my soil is ready for anything, I want to do with it.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

It's time to plant root crops!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES