Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Winter sowing

razorback33
15 years ago

Anyone starting seed now?

I just received my seed distribution from the NA Rock Garden Society and hope to have them planted within a few days, since most need cold stratification for spring germination.

esh_ You would be proud of me, as most of the seed I received are of NATIVE plants! Trillium, Hepatica, Hydrastis (Goldenseal), Dodecatheon (Shooting Star), Erythronium (Trout lily), Stewartia (Silky Camellia), Hydrangea arborescens (supposedly a cut-leaf form),Helonias bullata (Swamp pink).

Received only 3 "foreign" plants, Rhodophiala sp. (Amaryllidaceae) from S America, a tender Helleborus sp.(Majorca-Spain) and Daphne caucasica (Eurasia) (I'm hopeful that this is the true Daphne species, instead of a hybrid, often sold under this name, as the seed are from a plant pathologist in Germany).

Rb

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Hey RB:
    We winter sowed with the gang at the church greenhouse. But I didn't start my own. I am not going to WS much this year but mostly spring sow. I need to order up my little alpine strawberries for winter sowing!

GGG

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Rb - that is interesting to know. Will be interested to hear of your success. I am not good with seeds.

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

I started about 20 containers on Wednesday. We're testing the extremes of Georgia weather in trying to get seeds started this week, but it's the only free time I've had so far. I'll wait until next week to get going on the rest of the perennials for this year.

• mayland
    15 years ago

I tried Winter Sowing last winter. I had a really good germination rate, but i lost almost everything at the planting out stage. I think i tried to plant them out when they were too small. I had also sowed a load of seed in each container, so the seedlings were all on top of each other and were hard to separate without killing some (lots!). I did get some Echinacea that made it, and that even flowered.

I'm going to try again though. I've got several different kinds of Echincea and Rudbeckia seeds on order. I'm going to use those individual jiffy peat pots so that I can just plant the whole pot out directly when its time to plant. I think i started around Feb last year, and i really got suprisingly good germination.

Loads of info over on the Winter Sowing forum.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I was so happy to see this thread. I am trying wintersowing this year. I have sown about 120 containers so far (perennials). I'm sorting through annuals and will begin wintersowing the hardy annuals in February. I'm going to be sharing with my mother, sister, neighbors, and friends. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
    Any other Georgia wintersowers? I'd love to hear it! Nikki

• mayland
    15 years ago

Wow, 120 containers, that's amazing! I have seeds on order that should come soon, but only about 10 containers i think.
    Are you still sowing perennials or have you finished? I'm thinking I'm a bit late to start, but I didn't think to order seeds any earlier, so i'll just try.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Mayland, You are not too late to start your wintersowing. In fact, February may be better as I have had some "early" sprouters. Experienced wintersowers tell me that's ok too and that the sprouts will be fine in the container. I am not quite finished, I have a couple of trades to sort. I'll have the perennials finished by next week.
    I've had such a good time being able to get my hands into the dirt during the winter. I'm looking forward to spring and planting out more than ever! I've posted pics of my "pot ghetto" over on the wintersowing forum in the "gallery" section. Others have followed suit - go check them out for inspiration.
    Keep us posted as you sow. I love hearing about others wintersowing - especially in Georgia. Nikki

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I'm up to 150 containers so far and have LOTS left to do!

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

i ordered a bunch from SSE last week. hoping to have it in over the next week or so - we will see (first time giving them a shot).

can't wait!!

• razorback33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Getting there!
    135 pots filled, about 35 to go, if I don't find another bundle of seed packs squirreled away somewhere!

About 200 spring Crocus still unplanted, will probably plant those in some large pots and set those around the garden. (after covering with wire mesh, of course)!

Making progress on planting shrubs, also. All of the Redtips are down, except 3. Will need my chainsaw for those.
    Replacing those with Native Azaleas, American witchhazel and some Camellias.

45 days, 9 hours & 40 minutes, until spring.
    Keep warm!
    Rb

Sponsored