Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Which plants did best in drought & heat?

DianeGA
16 years ago

I saw a thread that asked which plants you wouldn't plant again next summer, but which would you suggest that did great in spite of the drought & heat wave? I have some large sunny areas that I might try my luck with this summer. If I get them established in early spring, maybe I'll have some luck.

So far, I've seen suggestions for vinca & scaveola.

What others? Did anyone grow Indian Summer? Becky Daisy? How about some spreading (but non-invasive) low growing plants? Rock Cress? I also need suggestions for a couple new shrubs... how would new pots of azaleas or gardenias do with very little watering?

For my own suggestions, these did well with almost no extra watering (2-3 times max)-

Established plants:

Bath's Pink dianthus

Firewitch dianthus

Various daylilies

Phlox subulata

Begonias -thought these were annuals, but have come back for several years

New plants:

Begonias - little 6-packs from H.D.; watered just a few times after initial planting; gangbusters all summer; I clipped foliage & dug root ball to save in basement; currently still green without any watering!

Melampodium - self seeded from previous year; I moved to better space them & watered maybe twice

Comments (10)

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

It still may be a little early to tell until spring what survived and what didn't. But so far the only things that I have lost in the drought and heatwave were things that I had planted in the spring. Seeing as how it wasn't until almost OCt before the total ban I didn't hesitate to water and water liberally on my designated days.

• fredt7
    16 years ago

An annual which surprised me with its drought tolerance was Angelonia 'Serena Purple'. It's a fairly new one that can be grown from seed. (although the seed are pretty expensive)

• User
    16 years ago

Phlox is the first one that comes to mind. I don't know the variety because it was already growing when we moved here, but it is pink and about 14 inches high. It just bloomed its head off even during the worst of the heat and dry weather. So, of course, I bought David phlox and some Blue Paradise phlox hoping they will do well too. Also, my daylilies were just beautiful. None of the annuals I planted last spring thrived, except pansies. Most of them just kind of stood there and never looked luxurious like I had hoped.
    Another one I was pleased with was pineapple sage. It had brilliant red flowers on it (which the hummingbirds loved) all during late summer and fall.

• lzygrdner
    16 years ago

Quite a few plants did well in my garden despite the drought. I think mainly I was the one who missed being able to amble around with my hose.

Plants that did well:
    catmint
    caryopteris
    flowering quince
    gardenia radicans
    lavendar
    rosemary
    germander
    yucca
    david phlox
    knockout roses
    society garlic
    lamb's ears
    cleome
    limelight hydrangea
    beautyberry
    coneflowers

Suprisingly my black eyed susans did horribly, I didn't know anything could stop those.

Harriet

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

my blackeyed susans did ok this year. My iris were fine, shasta daisies were fine. lambs ear loved the dry soil. Rosemary and all herbs did well, artemesia was rampant! Canna lilies suffered for a while, but once we got some rain in September/October they were really beautiful. Lorepetalum and ligustrum were fine, crepe myrtles did just about ok. yarrow was fine,butterfly bushes did well. nothing died (that i am aware of at this point)

• efam
    16 years ago

My blackeyed susans didn't do so well either.

I received some Sweet Williams this year from my mother-in-law during the mid-summer. Despite hardly any watering, they did great!

• herboil
    16 years ago

My Purple BEarded german iris went CRAZY, even in the drought. I was very surprised... I split them up and they took over, I have around 100 or more plants, even now with the frost adn wet weather in winter they are awesome green.
    I even got 7 flower spikes in DECEMBER!

Also, echinacea, lavender, rosemary, and chives did well. My squash did NOT do well.

• rosie
    16 years ago

Good thread and I'm jotting names, but the plants to really be concerned with are the big ones. You can always pop some new perennials in and have them flowering a few weeks later, but if you lose the trees and shrubs you don't have a garden. So:

Prunus caroliniana, our native cherry laurel.
    Osmanthus heterophyllus and fortunei.
    Viburnum burkwoodii.
    Cercis canadensis, Redbud.
    Cotoneaster lacteus--Parney cotoneaster.

Herboil, my reblooming white iris bloomed its head off for weeks and weeks in August and September, for all the world as if it had finally gotten the perfect weather.

• woody_ga
    16 years ago

the start for me was Miss Huff Lantana. It seemed to really enjoy the dry heat.

• lzygrdner
    16 years ago

Good point about shrubs and trees vs perennials. In my garden, lorapetalum, eucalyptus, hawthorn, vitex never got any supplemental water.

harriet

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH