Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpharetta_gw

3 Roses for Atlanta

alpharetta
15 years ago

I am thinking about getting couple climbing roses for my yard. I love low maintaned, long blooming season, fragrant and heat/drough tolerate roses. Diseas resistant too.

Unlimited Roses advices me 3 variaties: Crepuscule, Alister Stella Gray and Champney's Pink

Any advices from you for Atlanta area?

Thanks

Alpharetta

Comments (12)

• llink2
    15 years ago

I haven't planted anything yet, but I have been researching this same question. I've come up with three I am considering trying: Climbing Pinkie, Cl. Renae, and Blush Noisette. Has anyone has grown these roses in this area?

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Blush Noisette = great disease resistant rose here! Crepuscule, Alister Stella Gray and Champney's Pink - I have them all and they are doing OK. Alister Stella is doing the least well. Not all that disease resistant for me and I did abuse her for a few years in containers before (and I won't spray with chemicals so no-spray is important to me!!) planted...Champney's and crepescule do great. Crepe is one of my faves!!

GGG

• llink2
    15 years ago

girlgroupgirl - does Blush Noisette grow as a climber for you here, or more as a shrub? I have heard conflicting reports.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Consider it a rambler. It is technically a shrub, and for me it grows about 12' and no taller. I have it on a chain link fence for now and that suits it just fine.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

Every True Georgian should, by all means, grow the state flower, the Cherokee Rose (_Rosa laevigata_). It blooms during azalea season in deep South Georgia and a little later in North Georgia. Growing the Cherokee Rose is, on the one hand, patriotic. On the other hand, growing the Cherokee Rose rewards you with unspeakable beauty. A native of China, the Cherokee Rose is a climbing, evergreen, thorny rose that has been grown by Georgians and other Southerners since the Antebellum Era. Read James R. Cothran's illustrated essay on the Cherokee Rose in his _Gardens and Historic Plants of the Antebellum South_ (Columbia: Univ. of SC Press, 2003) for information on this long-venerated rose's historic place in regional horticulture. Its multitudes of white, yellow-stamened flowers are an inspiration. On the Bemiss Road in Valdosta, there is a towering slash pine wrapped in purple wisteria (_Wisteria sinensis_) and Cherokee Rose. These two vines bloom simultaneously and create a gorgeous March blend of purple and white--a stunning, splendid sight. Valdosta, the Azalea City, is one big flowering paradise in azalea season.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Another plus for the Cherokee is that it is capable of hanging on without water down by the road through two years of drought. Even young, she bloomed nicely before the drought hit. I'm crossing my fingers for her.

Alpharetta, I don't have another suggestion but wanted to put in a plug for Crespescule, which I do have. A lovely rose and healthy without any fuss.

• buford
    15 years ago

I have crepescule. It' still young and hasn't come into its own yet. I also have Reve d'Or and it's lovely.

• llink2
    15 years ago

After a lot of research, I ended up ordering Cl Pinkie, Renae, and Clotilde Soupert as my three climbers. I also ordered a Cornelia, which can be trained to climb. I ordered from Roses Unlimited. I wanted to order from a southern company to get whatever advantage can come from being bred in a similar climate as ours. The delivery date isn't for some time yet, but the people at Roses Unlimited have been absolutely wonderful.

• atlantamand
    12 years ago

The best in my garden is Rev d'Or. Always always happy and growing and blooming. I pretty much neglect it, and it doesn't even care. New Dawn comes second.

• vickieindixie
    12 years ago

When and where should I purchase a yellow climbing rose for the trellis that's front & center between 2 windows on my ranch home? THX

• mairenn
    12 years ago

I grow Joseph's Coat, Climbing Cecile Brunner, Climbing Old Blush, Cherokee, and Lady Banks. None of them get ANY care and all of them are vigorous and bloom like mad. The down sides: Cecile, Cherokee, Blush and Banks are all eating the house. It's starting to look like Sleeping Beauty's castle. I let them go too long:) Cherokee keeps trying to get in the second story window. Joseph's coat has better manners but will lose entire canes occasionally to black spot. It just keeps putting out new ones, though. Cecile and Blush are a little bare around the knees intermittently from blackspot until they put out the next flush of growth.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer