Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yomamanem

Screen

yomamanem
18 years ago

I am asking this question to make sure I have considered everything: What is the cheapest, fastest-growing, screen shrub to put on a property line? I would like to hear what some of you have used that you are pleased with. I am aware of many different plants that would do the job but give me some of your thoughts.

Comments (14)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I don't know about the fast growing capabilities, but a friend pointed out this today:
    Daphniphyllum
    http://arboretum.sfasu.edu/plants/daphniphyllummacropodum/

GGG

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Yomamanem, I planted a viburnum dentatum that my neighbor gave me; it was about 2.5' - 3' tall last year. Now it's 6' tall. I didn't know it would grow fast and I didn't really think about it when I planted it on the north side between my yard and my next-door neighbor's, but I've since counted my blessings because it's quite nice, it's full and screens well in the summer and fall.

Also, roses grow fast! and shrub roses don't need so much care, you can look into that, perhaps.

Finally, for the summer, elephant ears!

I have all these and they create a bit of privacy for me in my front yard.

rb

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I assume your spot is a sunny one. Actually this plant does well in shade too, Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo'. It seems every time someone asks about a plant for screening I chime in with it. I am so pleased with mine I can't help it! It has big shiny leaves and a pyramidal shape. Grows pretty fast too. I planted mine in 1998 and it was 2' then, and is over 15' now.

Although overdone, Loropetalum fits the mold too. It grows fast and can get big. For sun or shade as well. I'd opt for the white flowered green leaf form, as it looks great and probably gets the biggest. I know before the holidays we had some of both of these plants at work. But I haven't been there since Dec. 19, so can't say for certain if they'd still be there.

I have a picture of really big Chindos from Wilkerson Mill Gardens(where I spend my Saturdays)......

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I have Chindo also. It sleeps, creeps and leaps. This is it's third year and it really is putting on the growth.

Wax Myrtle is a good screening plant also.

• william7b
    18 years ago

I'd suggest Cryptomeria. It's like Leyland Cypress, but better looking and not subject to the same disease issues.
    A smaller screen, maybe 8-10 feet might be Chinese Snowball Viburnum. I've got three planted in the sun and people are always asking what they are.
    Bill

• Josh
    18 years ago

I like Blueberries, and my second recommendation would be Bayberry. josh

• shari1332
    18 years ago

gaalan, would you recommend the green loropetalum for full sun? I've seen it listed for part sun to shade and also keep hearing about wind protection for them and the purple leaf varieties. I would like to grow them in my full sun windswept location but am hesitant.

Thanks-from an NC lurker.

• efam
    18 years ago

We have the purple leaf loropetalum (with the pink fringe flowers) and they are in full sun (practically scorching) and they are thriving. I have to cut them back several times a year.

• rosie
    18 years ago

This last spring I put a 2-gallon white in full sun and haven't watered more than a couple of times from then on because the summer was so wet for a while. It's doing great. I chose it after seeing a mature one at a nursery in full sun down near Athens.

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo' sounds really great, I may need to try it myself. Does it need a cross-polinator (or whatever it is they call it) to bear fruit? I know there is a lot of talk about viburnums needing partners. Is this plant readily available around here? I have never heard of this one before, but I am always amazed by how many things I still have not heard of yet.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I purchased my 'Chindo' at the Home Depot Landscape store in Woodstock in late 2003 or early 2004.

I think this comment generally applies to viburnum: In this species, the sexes aren't strictly separated, but individual plants are usually predominantly one way or the other, and planting different clones ensures cross pollination and better fruit set. I think as long as you have another viburnum that blooms at the same time, it will help. I had overlapping blooms on v. dentatum "Blue Muffin" and a maple leaf viburnum this year and they both set really good fruit (the maple leaf set fruit for the first time!).

I planted 3 gallon size plants and they have not bloomed in the two years I've had them (in full sun). But in this case, I didn't buy them for the blooms, but for the screening capabilities.

• shari1332
    18 years ago

Thanks rosie and efam. I think I'll take the plunge this year and plant some of both for my mixed backyard screen. I love the loose natural habit they have. Most people around here prune theirs but I would like to let mine grow and see what happens.

• puffkit
    15 years ago

will vib. chindo survive in 6b/7a?

• aloschroeder
    14 years ago

Does anyone know the proper spacing for 3 gallon Viburnum Awabuki to make a dense screen?

Sponsored