Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to kill wisteria

Posted by Shane86 zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 20:48

anybody have a cheap way to get rid of wisteria or English ivy iv tried roundup and cutting it down but its like i never put a dent in it any help would be great thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to kill wisteria

Well, labor isn't cheap or easy, but it's gonna be the only way... Digging in to the dirt at new growth, chopping, and even burning..

Buy burning, I mean safely making a bonfire on top of the main roots, and keep the fire going for hours and hours...

Be careful with the fire though. ...

I actually took a 20 year old oak down ( killed it) by having a fire at it's base... the next year half of the trunk died and got some fungus, and the year after it felled, and this year I am using it as firewood( we used a chainsaw to cut it up.

SO, there's nothing free.... but wysteria is so pretty... but yeah, in GA it can be invasive and I see MASSIVE flowerings of it every year..

Did you know that about the time that the Wysteria flowers every year, the Morel mushrooms are also growing?...

o

RoundUp (glyphosate) will definitely work if applied correctly and at the right time. Unfortunately, now is not the right time at all.

For the wisteria, I would wait until fall, just as you first start to see some of the tree leaves changing color. Cut all of the stems near ground level. Apply concentrated (at least around 18%) glyphosate to the freshly cut stump soon after making the cuts. BTW, some RoundUp formulations (the more concentrated ones) ARE labeled for this use. Do not used the wimpy pre-mixed stuff; it only works well for very-easy-to-kill stuff like tender grass. I would also recommend that you not use the RoundUp that claims extra quick results; it contains other chemicals that actually makes it LESS EFFECTIVE for many applications. It doesn't take much RoundUp to do the job when the applications are targeted in this way.

For the English Ivy, the biggest obstacle is the waxy coating on the leaves. Adding a surfactant (wetting agent) to your herbicide can help. Many formulations already contain some surfactant, but not a lot. Also, mixing a little stronger than you normally would for normal brush killing can help. In some cases, a single application can be successful. Sometimes you may have to hit it more than once. As with the wisteria, using the slow-results type of RoundUp is more effective in the long run.

Another thing that can be done for the English Ivy applications is to add a small amount of diesel fuel to the mix. You'll probably see many recommendations for this online. There are issues with this technique (proper containers must be used, probably not the most environmentally-friendly thing to do, etc), but it is an option that some find useful.

o

well unfortunately i cant burn it its on some property that a am allowed to use and its behind a few businesses i used round up on it last yr but it was the fast acting formula so maybe thats why it ddnt work on it il try the other formula on it this spring thank you both for the advice herboil what are Morel mushrooms

o

Shane 86, Morel Mushrooms are just like any mushroom you can buy in the Grocery store like Button, Shittake, or Portobello mushrooms, except that they have a much shorter season, cannot be cultivated by mass croppings, and generally are prized because of their rarity and beauty( and taste).
Speaking of fires, the morel mushrooms often grow in fire zones, and specifically riverside or old orchard areas. And they only grow for a short time each year in very specific areas... for 2-6 weeks at most( some people say)

Anyways, can you give us some more insight as to WHY you want to get rid of the wysteria, and just how bad the area is and how thick the vines/grove are, and also some pictures might help to asses the area and how to control with without killing it.

Are you trying to plant other things there, or just do away with it?

o

We recently moved on to property that had not been maintained for over 6 years. Wisteria has taken over trees and much of the landscape. We have tried everything to kill it. We have mowed up the small shoots that seem to be everywhere with no direct connection to a main source.

We have tried to plow them up. We have burnt them. We have sprayed them with various chemicals like Round-up, but all to no avail. They seem to be everywhere and just continue to keep popping up and multiplying. Some areas of our yard look like it is covered in wild ferns, but is simply small wisteria plants growing. When I try to pull them up, they rip, but no roots come with them! :(

Please help! What can we do? I am not even sure where the main plant is! I follow vines, but there are so many but they seem to lead no where directly!

o

Get a box of florist picks. Put round up/herbicide in them (they are meant to hold water), put the cap on and stick it in the ground next to the end of a vine. Stick the tip of the vine into the container and let it "drink it up".

Here is a link that might be useful: Example, see green ones with spikes

o

I recently moved to an old farmhouse that has several decades' worth of wisteria run rampant in a good portion of the yard. It is so bad in spots that there can be many hundreds of vines (ranging from tiny to 1"+ thick) criss-crossing a mere 6'x10' area. I am determined to reclaim my yard from this awful beast! I appreciate reading people's tips and experiences.
I just got an "Extractigator" (tree wrench) in hopes that it would help to pull up the big vines where they've rooted (the roots can go 3'+ straight into the ground and are impossible to pull up by hand). It works very well! Since wisteria is so soft and fibrous, sometimes the tool loses grip after crushing the stop of the segment, but for the most part it does a great job. I've attached a photo of a 3' root that I pulled up right after I got the tool (I was very excited!).
The tiny vines can be easily pulled up by hand. But when I get to a "mother" plant (that's what I call them - the huge clumps that are the sources for many of the vines) that is too big around to pull with the tree wrench (which has a 2" capacity), I saw it to ground level and paint brush killer on it. Not sure yet how effective that is, but will report back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here