Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Datura/Jimson Weed experiences?

Posted by mad_gardener 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 22:15

I've heard that Datura (also called Jimson Weed) is illegal in some places. Does anyone know if it's illegal in any counties in Georgia? Also, I do have pets and worry about the plant's effect on animals. My pets are indoor only, but in case they get into the yard should I worry? Does the wildlife mostly stay away from this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Datura/Jimson Weed experiences?

Animals usually avoid the plants, because of it's pungent odor and taste, but will consume them, if no other forage is available. Animal poisoning usually occurs when the plant is harvested, along with other crops and then fed to animals.
During my youthful years, growing up on a farm, it was my assigned duty to ride the pastures and hayfields on horseback in search of and remove any Datura plants found growing there. They were a different species than those found in GA, but just as toxic, nontheless.
Poisoning of humans is more common than in domesticated animals, because of experimentation with the narcotic and hallucinogenic effects of consumption of plant parts. Children are often a victim, because of the attraction of the flowers. Their nectar is also toxic.
It must be noted that the Datura seed is an important food source for a number of songbirds, the Northern Cardinal (Redbird) for one, in the Eastern US. Guess that would explain why the introduced species, Datura stramonium (Jimsonweed), is found in 48 states, DC, PR, VI & 9 Canadian Provinces!
This species, along with some other Datura species are classified as noxious weeds almost everywhere they are found, but to my knowledge, thay are not banned in GA.
Many gardeners grow them, along with their sub-tropical cousins, the Brugmansias, as ornamentals.
If you plan to plant them, it may be prudent to determine if local ordinances ban their cultivation.
Rb

o

Thanks Rb!

There is someone down the street who grows what I think are Brugmansias, but I'll check the local ordinances & re-read the covenants for my subdivision just in case! What you said about the seeds is interesting -- I wasn't aware that birds liked them. Fortunately, I'm also interested in attracting more birds to my backyard. I find hummingbirds particularly fascinating, and have been working on planting flowers that they will enjoy.

Thanks again!

o

Pets don't really mess with it,too much.

Here is a link that might be useful: new songs for gardening to

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here