Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farmers Market Spring Planting Guide

Posted by nosyrosie z7/8 - Atlanta (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 22:51

I just got my first Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin. On one of the pages it sets forth a spring planting guide: crop, days to maturity, planting dates, etc.

The bulletin lists the following veggies that can be planted starting mid- (middle GA)to-end (North GA) of January: cabbage, carrots, Lettuce, mustard, onions (mature), garden peas, irish potatoes, radishes, spinach, turnips.

I already had lettuce and parsley outside winter-sown in plastic containers since last week; they haven't germinated yet. I plan to do peas, carrots and green onions this weekend. I assume the bulletin is for outside planting since it's directed to farmers, and they aren't going to be planting in little nursery set-ups inside -- I think. Am I wrong?

In any event I will sow as in winter-sowing so I don't have to mess with all the little peat pots indoors.

Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farmers Market Spring Planting Guide

• Posted by marcy72 z7/8 Atlanta GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 10:07

i don't know the answer to your question, but maybe you can answer one of mine :) How can I get that bulletin? I keep hearing about it, and it sounds like it has lots of good information.

o

Of that list the only thing I think it might be a little early for is carrots, but maybe only by a couple weeks? Also I left some of my broccoli from last fall instead of tearing out the spent plants and they're putting out florets already, so I'm going to put out some broccoli starts this week. I'll try putting some seed down too, why not?

o

Marcy, the bulletin is free for the applying. Check the bulletin's website www.agr.georgia.gov.

It's a fun newsletter, and has some very useful information.

Rose

o
also--

Oh, yes, also I'm going to winter sow peas and green onions tomorrow (was painting my bedroom today!). I will probably post when any of it germinates and how long it took. I will probably then do carrots next week; thanks Jennifratrix for your thoughts.

rb

o

Direct sow your peas now. Ours have been flower at church for weeks.
The thought of planting mustard just in January is strange it's very frost hardy. I have it all winter.

GGG

o

• Posted by marcy72 z7/8 Atlanta GA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 23:37

thanks for the info!

and yes, at work we have mustard, kale, parsley and a few other things along that line as winter color, and it generally does really well. mine is about 2 feet tall :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here