Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good melon cultivars for GA?

Posted by gt4889 Atlanta (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 23:15

Tried without much success to grow canteloupe and honeydew last year. Both were planted in my home garden in Atlanta and also my brother's farm in NW GA. The plants seemingly did well. But they didn't produce fruit despite regular watering and full sun. Wondering if different cultivars would do better.

Clemson's website recommends Athena,Burpee Hybrid, Ambrosia, Park 's Whopper and Scoop II for Canteloupe and Earlidew for Honeydew.

Anyone have any success with the above ones? Or any others in particular?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good melon cultivars for GA?

How many melons did you grow? Did you mound them?

I did OK with some mini-melons last year. We generally get 3-5 on a vine.

o

Most melons grow well here. On your list Burpee's Hybrid is a nice size, excellent flavored cantaloupe. Earlidew is good early honeydew, probably the most foolproof of the honeydews, but most all of them will grow here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grown in Augusta

o

The area we planted the melons appeared to be very poor soil so we constructed 2'x2' raised beds. Amended the soil with lots of compost and planting mix from the landscape supply place. In each of those 2x2 beds we had 3 plants. Too many?

We had 6 beds of melons, 2 canteloupe, 2 Watermelon, and 2 Honeydew. We got a couple of small watermelons but nothing else. Interestingly enough, we had a bed of Butternut Squash with no production too. All the vines looked healthy, just no fruit.

thanks for the help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here