Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia Stellata

Posted by nippersdad 7B Ga (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 0:48

What a strange winter! I can't recall the star magnolias and pears ever blooming before the daphne before. Hopefully it will cool off again before everything starts to bud out. Our hollies really haven't recovered from the early freeze we had two years ago yet!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia Stellata

I was driving through Dunwoody this past Friday and was also surprised to see 'Bradford' pears blooming along with the early cherries and two big maples (the maples are in front of the Dunwoody Library).

The daffodils seems reasonably "on time" and provide a cheery sight. Only a few blossoms have opened on my daphne (and the foliage is looking pretty cruddy after this winter).

Of the native ephemeral plants, I have Hepatica blooming and trout lilies. Still too early at my house for Bloodroot and Trilliums to even show any foliage. The foliage of Toothwort is up though. A few woody plants are pushing out new foliage in a modest way - I hope we don't get a cold spell. It looks like it could get down to 25 degrees one night this week, but I think that could be ok.

o
RE: Magnolia Stellata

Blooming trout lilies! I envy you your soil.

The Daphne here started to bloom this weekend, along with the forsythia, red maples and japanese quince. Everything seems about a month early (save for the daphne and hellebores); I was hoping to take advantage of better memories than mine for precedent. I am going to start really worrying when the plums, peaches and tulip magnolias start in.

In the meantime, though, doesn't it all smell wonderful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here