Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

help with bright lights swiss chard

bagsmom
14 years ago

If you saw another one of my posts, I am planning to mix edibles with ornamentals this year. I'm thinking the bright lights chard would be gorgeous.

Should I plant from seed? And when? I'm thinking it is a cooler weather crop, right? Would this mean two plantings? Early spring and again in fall? When should I plant?

So -- seeds or plants? What season does it do well?

Thanks!

Any other thoughts on the subject are always eagerly gobbled up, too!

Comments (5)

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

We grow chard year round. We plant when temps average around 65 in spring and fall. It would still be growing if it weren't for being buried under snow twice already. It handled weeks of freezing with no problem.

We typically grow red chard, but we've also planted rainbow chard. A lot of the directions say to soak the seeds overnight...again, didn't need to do that. It's at the point now where I don't even bother to read the directions on seed packs, except with beans that say you need to sow directly into the ground.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Tell me about germination..... I am getting some mushroom compost today to amend my beds -- want to get the soil nice....

Should I sow these seeds in mid-march, or wait till the end?

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

We usually get them started around mid April, when air temps are consistently in the 60s during the day, averaging around 65 for the entire span of a week. We plant our fall crop in late October, when temps are starting to dip into the 60s during the day. We sow directly in the ground, at a depth of 1/4" or so, about 3-4 weeks after our final bed amendments. We water very lightly pretty religiously every evening until leaves are at 1" or so.

As far as care and upkeep, it's not very demanding. And unlike Arugula, you can eat them for months on end without them going 'bad' (Arugula goes bitter, Chard gets peppery, but Arugula gets bitter in weeks, whereas Chard takes months to get peppery in my experience)

We bought all of our seeds from the garden department in EAV Ace Hardware / aka "Village Green". They usually have a small but solid selection of quality seeds, and we get pretty consistent germination rates.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Yes, chards are like beets, cabbages, etc.

I have sowed bok choy in cold frame, about a week ago. they are already germinating. I would think that chards are similar. Once you get your seedlings to a certain size then you can transplant them in the garden. I am sure with daytime highs in 50s and higher they will grow. Do not worry about frost.

So, germinating requires slightly warmer temperature but from there on they will tolerate cold, although might not grow much.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I bought a bunch of seed packets and I'm looking forward to adding this cool plant to my flower bed!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH