Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Buttercups

Posted by razorback33 z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 7:14

While working in the garden yesterday, I noticed that my Ranunculus ficaria (Introduced species) was in full leaf form and should have flowers within a short time.
The one I have is a selection that has attractive patterned leaves and glossy yellow/orange flowers. I don't believe it ever had a cultivar name. I have it tucked in between a couple of fairly large rocks, because I've seen this species consume a large area in short order, in a SE PA garden.
In reflecting upon past plant rescues, I can't recall finding any of the 16 or so GA native or introduced Ranunculus species in this area, although there are supposed to be some around (Duncan & Kartesz). Since the various species have a wide variation in foliage types, and absent a flower, I would have ignored them, as a weed!
I have tried a couple of cultivars, R.repens 'Buttered Popcorn' & R. ficaria 'Brazen Hussy' without success. Probably in the wrong locations. The popular R. asiaticus cultivars (Persian Buttercup), with their inflated, grotesque flowers has no appeal for me.
Rb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Buttercups

There are no species found in this area (SE GA coastal plain).
I have read that they do not grow in tropical and semitropical lowlands. I suppose it's the heat and/or humidity. that they can't tolerate or absence of a cold dormant period.
They seem to multiply with abandon in the northern climates, as does many other Genera/species in the Ranunculaceae Family (Actaea, Anemone, Hepatica, Helleborus, Aquilegia, etc.), that are not found in this area and does not establish in cultivation.
On the other hand, the transplanted native Oakleaf Hydrangea loves the perfect drainage of sand and once established, best get out of it's way!

o
RE: Native Buttercups

I guess I have never noticed any that I have come across and no one ever pointed them out to me. Looking at just a few of the pictures, they don't appear to have significant flowers (not like the non-native ones that we picked as kids - I remember holding it under our chins to see the yellow reflected).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here