Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Native Buttercups

razorback33
15 years ago

While working in the garden yesterday, I noticed that my Ranunculus ficaria (Introduced species) was in full leaf form and should have flowers within a short time.

The one I have is a selection that has attractive patterned leaves and glossy yellow/orange flowers. I don't believe it ever had a cultivar name. I have it tucked in between a couple of fairly large rocks, because I've seen this species consume a large area in short order, in a SE PA garden.

In reflecting upon past plant rescues, I can't recall finding any of the 16 or so GA native or introduced Ranunculus species in this area, although there are supposed to be some around (Duncan & Kartesz). Since the various species have a wide variation in foliage types, and absent a flower, I would have ignored them, as a weed!

I have tried a couple of cultivars, R.repens 'Buttered Popcorn' & R. ficaria 'Brazen Hussy' without success. Probably in the wrong locations. The popular R. asiaticus cultivars (Persian Buttercup), with their inflated, grotesque flowers has no appeal for me.

Rb

Comments (2)

Sponsored