Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyrus_gardner

Stinging Nettle

cyrus_gardner
14 years ago

Stinging Nettle:

I read about this in Herbs forum, here on GW. Now I MUST have it.

Any body here, on GA Gardening knows where and how to find it locally? I wonder if it grows wild around here.

Thanks in advance.

Cyrus

Comments (8)

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

If you are referring to Urtica dioica, it is not native in GA. An introduced Variety was found in a couple of locations, near Clarksville (Habersham) and near Valdosta (Lowndes).

A native species, Cnidoscolus urens, var. stimulosus, found throughout southern GA, is also called Stinging Nettle, Tread-softly, bullnettle and other common names.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Cyrus, it grows here as a short season annual the same time as red-clover does. I've got seeds and I'm going to plant it this year as well as re-establish red clover in some parts of my garden (as soon as I can garden back there) as a source of forage herbs for us to use in our household and also for composting.

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

georgia - rose, yes I am referring to Urtica dioica.

GGG, is that what you are going to grow?
    I read that SN is a perenial. I have seen pictures of establishe plants that grow quite large and seed. I wonder if you have ever spoted some of them around here.

To me, other than for composting aide has more uses and sounds certaily interesting. That is why I like to have some around my garden.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Stinging nettles are perennial to some locations - my family grows it in Canada where it is perennial. However, it is a cool season plant, disliking heat and humidity so I'm not sure that it would be perennial here, and if it is, I'm not sure it would even be evergreen. No, I have never encountered it South of the Georgia Mountains in the wild. I purchase mine dried, right now and would love to have some for vegetable use.

GGG

• mensplace
    14 years ago

I don't know if there are different degrees of sensitivity to the sting of stinging nettle among different people, but I well remember the time that my arms felt as though they were on fire after cutting away some brush that contained stinging nettle. It was far worse than fire ants. Then came the blisters that lingered for a few days after. Personally, I would never even consider purposely planting such a species that spreads in the same way as those in the thistle family...very quickly. Too, imagine a young person getting into such a plant. I believe the legal term...and for good reason if purposely planted..would be an attractive nuisance. There is already plenty of the stuff growing wild in Georgia fields.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

mensplace, a agree that one has to be careful. My desired space is at the back of the future large garden - a place where my neighbors yard is not fenced and at times has been a hiding place for people attempting to avoid the law. These are often the same people who like to climb fenced yards here either to avoid the law or gain access to your abode.
    So super prickly, blistering nasty evil plants are indeed at times a boon!
    I am planning on giving the area a small fence to remind folks like my hubby or others who were invited to harvest that the plant needs watching, and also for visiting children. Normally I don't have kids just running around here, we walk and look at plants together and I can help educate them on what is a good plant to touch and what is not. I've never been stung by nettles, but when purposely grown I can make sure to wear leather gloves and long sleeves for harvest!

GGG

• wold
    13 years ago

Any body in Los Angeles area knows where to find Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) please?

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Is there perhaps a California gardenweb forum that might be more helpful wold? This is for Georgia!

Sponsored