Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_3

Spring Trade

pam_3
14 years ago

Is it too early to start thinking about a trade? In past years we've gotten together in April. Take a look at your calendars and see what's going to work for you. Easter is on Sunday, April 4th. Also, anyone willing to host? :)

Comments (27)

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    14 years ago

Can you reference the guidelines on how the trade works? I just moved here, but there are a few plants in the builders front yard landscape that I would like to trade.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Well, the trade can vary on how the hostess sets it up. When we had it at my house we had a) pre-trades that we set up via this site (on the exchange forum side here) with other individuals. Those we take pre-boxed and you just trade with that person when you get to the trade.

Then we have the "main trade" which is where you take plants to offer - everyone sets out their offerings and you basically choose from those items the number you brought that you would like in return. "Shopping" so to speak.

Lastly we often had a "freebee" area where if people want to bring plants for newbies who don't have trade material yet, but want to check out the trade, they can still come and participate.

All parts of the trade are optional. Some folks just come for the eating part of it all! We also had seeds, books, tools and doo-dads but no chemicals for trade (unless pre-traded)

Maybe a drawing

Lots of talking

Nice times!

Other trades I've been to operate differently!

• bmmalone
    14 years ago

Having just spent most of the day in the garden the thought of a spring trade sounds great! This time last week (snow on the ground) a spring trade was the last thing on my mind!

• pam_3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FYI...The Georgia Native Plant Society Plant Sale is Saturday, April 24.

I know what you mean, Barbara. We got out there and worked today. So very beautiful!

• botanicat
    14 years ago

Any interest in setting up a spring trade? Maybe the weather the rest of this week can put us in the mood.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I think it is too early. I, for one, don't know what I may end up
    having extras for trade.

cyrus

• pam_3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When we've done it in the past it's been late April, so most stuff is up. Although, we have had a long, cold winter this year and the Daffodils are still blooming. Anyone willing to host out there?

• lucyatlanta
    13 years ago

I always enjoy the trades so if everyone is still interested I will be happy to host. April is crazy but I could make is work in May. Does May 15 or 22 work?
    I live in the Roswell/Marietta area.

Thanks. -Lucy

• pam_3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

either works for me (whichever day we don't choose will be my son's bday party weekend...his bday is May 17.) Thanks for offering to host!

• vroomp
    13 years ago

May sounds good to me and Roswell is right next door.

• botanicat
    13 years ago

I should be able to make it. Either date sounds fine to me.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Roswell's convenient for me. Someone will have to go pick up GGG though .... ;)

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Lucy, if you are serious about hosting, could you begin the exchange thread for pre-trade arrangements? I only have large EE's, Mexican Petunias, Moon Flower seedlings, and possibly Rudbeckia Seedlings (if they ever come up) so far but, others may wish to list their offers.

• WestEnder
    13 years ago

I would love to come to a spring plant trade again this year. Can probably bring some members of my community garden with me, and if the date is set soon I can begin digging things up to trade. I have finally begun working again in my own yard after spending the last couple of years almost exclusively volunteering on a farm (still doing that, too, LOL). Could dig up hellebores, lilies, very tall cutleaf rudbeckias that GGG says are native, and who knows what else. If someone speaks for them soon, I have a couple of crabapple trees to trade for something really nice. Would really like a plum tree.... But more than anything else, it would just be so good to see everyone.

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Does that mean we can talk you into bringing a Carrot Cake as well?

• frannyflowers
    13 years ago

Hi All, I still have plants for some of you that I will bring by the trade.

Pam, I have white iris for you.

Esh, I have Becky Daisies for you.

Also have Becky Daisies for TurkeyTaker and Becky Daisies and Pink Obedient Plant for Janen.

That's all I had written down but if I missed anyone let me know.

Thanks! Franny

• EngiN117
    13 years ago

Perhaps I missed it above, but was a time and date decided upon. My name is Engi and I will be coming from Grayson.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

Anybody coming from Cartersville or any farther North? I would love to come, but not sure about going that far by myself, unless my husband comes( not likely), and we make our run to Harry's. Which weekend was decided on?

• pam_3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Engi. I'm in Lawrenceville and have a sneaky suspicion we've met. Are you also in GAM? The dates suggested are May 15 or May 22 at Lucy's in Marietta. She'd send you an email closer to the date with directions to her house. We usually meet around 11 or so for the swap (some people to pre-trades as arranged on the exchange page a little earlier) and potluck lunch after the swap. hope that makes sense. great fun, great folks.

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

I'd like to try to come. I think I say that every year, but something always comes up. If I can come, I'd be interested in some Hardy Begonias (or one Hardy Begonia).

• WestEnder
    13 years ago

Just quit the farm; couldn't do it all anymore.

Vroomp, I can't believe you are still remembering that carrot cake! If someone will pick a final date for this event, I will promise to set it aside and bake a cake. But we need a date certain! I've got lots of workdays to schedule for my community garden...am sure everyone needs to plan and start getting their plants ready for trade.

Hey, by the way, our community garden is on facebook now! Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Circle Community Garden

• lucyatlanta
    13 years ago

Sorry for taking so long -- I've been out of town this week. Let's go with May 15 at 11:00 am and follow with lunch. It sounds like everyone is already thinking about food -- oysters Vroomp?? I'll start the thread on the exchange page for pre-arranged trades and food.

One thing everyone...I'm happy to host but don't expect to see a beautiful yard -- at least not yet! Lucy

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

We've put May 15th on our calender! Now... what to bring?

• vroomp
    13 years ago

I was thinking about a new pasta salad I've been doing but, if there are enough votes..............

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Would everyone that is planning on attending please list the plants they have to trade as well as their requests on the exchange thread from now on. Thanks!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Hello everyone!

I had such a wonderful time last year meeting all of you - and look forward to May 15th.

These are some plants I can bring:

Comfrey
    Cannas (red-orange)
    Salvia Black-and-Blue
    Chrysanthemums Sheffield Pink
    Becky daisy
    Creeping Jenny
    Ajuga
    Verbena Bonariensis seedlings

And, I am sure, there will be some more later when I walk around the garden to jag up my memory.

I can bring fresh veggy tray and/or fruit for lunch afterwards.

~Natalie

• lucyatlanta
    13 years ago

Regarding 5/15 plant trade please post on exchanges. Below is a direct link. Thx. -Lucy

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gagarden/exch041815471318.html?5

Sponsored