Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_huff

Online Master Gardener Program?

miss_huff
16 years ago

Hello -

Is there an online MG program, for anywhere in Georgia at all???

I am coming out of spine surgery, and sitting in class is NOT an option. What do disabled people in Ga do? Just not become MGs??

Does anyone know of any online option, in any county? Any southeast state, for that matter??

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

I would call or email your local Cooperative Extension Agent, to inquire about options.
    The website, link below, lists the offices. Scroll down and click on your County of residence.
    Good luck!
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia County Extension Offices

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

One of the requirements to becoming a Master Gardner is to give back to the community. I think it is 80 hours not sure. That lets us both out. I had back surgery too. But it is not a cure. Not quite the same as having a hip or knee replacement. With those you recover in time. Mine was only to 'try' to stop the pain. Not to make it workable.
    Someday they will have spine replacements. If I live that long.
    I hope your's is different. Good Health.

• miss_huff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello! Will you be okay? I had Dynamic Stabilization (you can also call it Flexible Fusion or Dynesys) at 2 lumbar levels. I had to choose btwn that or 2 artificial discs. I am still worse than before surgery (3.5 months). My short term goal is to get to the level I WAS when I had surgery! I thought maybe taking these classes would give me something to do ---- but they seem to be looking for able bodies ONLY. Quite depressing! I COULD give back...I know I would find ways...but no online classes, I've found so far. Oh well :(

Good luck to you and your spine. I hope you feel better.

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

I was not a canidate for disc replacement. I have spine degeneration, bone spurs the size of chestnuts and spine was slipped foward. Actually broken. And my spinal canal was shrinking so they took the 'roof' off my spine.
    Sliced the covering off so my spine has no membrane on it.
    My fusion was stable with 10 rods. And metal cage with chips from my hip that will form new bone. I don't bend anymore.
    Like you worse in legs and hip after the surgery. It's been 2yrs and 3 1/2 months. I just now came off pain meds because they didn't help. I use a spa, human touch massage chair, ice packs, heat packs. etc, etc. I am having epidural in my neck next week. Same type of problems.
    It's not just my age. They say I just wore it out due to such heavy work. Gardening. LOL

• WestEnder
    16 years ago

This is not exactly responsive to your question but I just learned that Cornell University is offering an online program of education for small farm enterprise start-ups. It's a 9-week course that costs $200 and while it's geared to New York or northeast farmers the description says it is relevant to other regions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Farms Program at Cornell University

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

Call your county extension office and ask what projects their Master Gardeners do. There are opportunities other than planting that can be done. Volunteers are needed to answer phones and answer questions in the office as well. Talk to the MG coordinator and explain the situation with your back and your concerns about being able to sit in a class. Also ask what, if any, field trips are taken with the course in your area and if you would be allowed to miss that day. Do not let your back discourage you from taking the course!

• jharnage7_aol_com
    12 years ago

I'd be interested in helping provide training if you can help research the program from New York that's available to other areas (Cornell too).
    I am disabled (going through the necessary evil of SSI disability process). I have degenerative spine disease and other ailments. I've been a certified crop advisor through the American Society of Agronomy, certified pest control opeator in Fl and GA, licensed commercial pest control op in GA in Turf, Ornamental, trees, shrubs, etc., and I've been praying about hoe I can help the dibled get "outside."
    My disability went to my back and legs not my heart so I still possess some drive and eagerness.
    Let me now if I can help.
    Prayers;

Jim Harnage
    Silent Ministries Recovery Outreach
    121 Ben Daniels Rd.
    Statenville, GA 31648
    229-559-5648
    jharnage7@aol.com
    http://jimharnage.ning.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Harnage Silent Ministries

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

This is all so sad and depressing. Why not consider volunteering time as a docent at a public garden like the State Botanical Garden at UGA in Athens, if it's within driving distance? Or other public or private gardens in other parts of Georgia.

Sponsored