Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthermgr

local source for heirloom tomatoes

esthermgr
16 years ago

Is there a good local source for heirloom tomatoes? I'm in Atlanta.

Comments (19)

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hey:
    Episcopal Church of the Holy Comforter will have them starting March 15th. So far Brandywine, Stupice (nice early), Green Zebra, Jubilee, yellow pear. Next week we are starting MANY many more. The above are not organic. Will also have organic starting April 5th. I would suspect we will have 15-20 (minimum) varieties. Proceeds to our charitable organization: The Friendship Center, which is non-profit.

GGG

• georgia_transplant
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting that GGG!

Couple questions: do you have an idea of prices per plant? And how is parking at the church on a Saturday? Do you expect big crowds?

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

We don't have huge crowds the first day. April's sale will be intense, but most people walk and bring wagons. Our church is in the heart of a neighborhood so people walk or ride bikes a lot. Our parking lot is teensy, but there is street parking a plenty and for those who are disabled we can make parking room, or you can easily come up from the road in a wheelchair. If anyone needs help, we're ready and willing!
    I can not list prices here so I will email anyone with a price who needs it.

GGG

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

where is the church? Sounds like my kinda sale.

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

I looked it up, its in the East Atlanta area, On I-20, just east of downtown, off of moreland ave. exit. I'll see ya there. I'd also like some heirloom prices if possible. My email is bmcdonald724@aol.com. Thanks

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

I'm seeing more and more tomatoes already outside at the big box stores, this just blows my mind at how early it is.
    Anyone else out there know any more local sources for heirlooms??

• ktga
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure the Oakhurst Garden in Decatur offers heirloom tomatoes during their sale each year. Organic, too. Sale is usually at the end of march i believe?

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

Man that Oakhurst Garden sounds awesome, I can't wait to visit. Are any of the Tomatoes and Peppers at Home Depot and Lowes Heirlooms?

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Oakhurst will have tomatoes. I'm just not sure of the varieties yet. If you are interested in growing your own, sign up for the veggie seeding class in early March!!

GGG

• ourhappyhome
    16 years ago

My local Lowes and Home Depot carry Brandywine, Green Zebra and a bicolor, Mr. Stripey I think. I've seen them every year for the past few years.
    April

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

Anyone going to the holy comforter sale this weekend? If so, will you be planting the seedlings? Still sounds a little early doesnt it? Can the holy comforter representative restate what they plan to have available.
    thanks

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

Thanks for the list, just reading it makes me excited for th growing season. Question, the Roma's they have, are then interdeterminate or determinate? Anyone had any luck w/ these? I buy romas in the store and we love them, but sometimes the same tomato appears to be called plum.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Romas are available April 5th! Not quite ready yet.

They are semi-determinate. Doesn't that sound confusing now!! They grow taller in the south, but not quite a crazy vine, bushier and usually to 5' or so unless you foliar feed with worm poop/micro nutrients and other stuff, then they can grow much larger. Romas are considered a type plum tomato, however Romas per se have more "insides" than some plum tomatoes do, which is what makes them perfect for cooking.
    We have more tomatoes and peppers, and various types of eggplants finally coming along. I do not list anything until I see some sprouts!!

Hope you can all make it tomorrow. We'll be there (at least some of us) rain or shine.

GGG

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

Did the sale go on? I figured with all of the tonadic activity in that area that it would have been postponed?
    If so, how was the turn out, any plans to reschedule another sale if this one was dampened by the weather?
    thanks

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Uh, no. I called the moment the storm hit and cancelled it because after one look at my back yard, I knew there was no way I could make it. I couldn't even get out of my own yard until the city came to clean up the trees later that PM. And then asking our guys to walk or come on the bus and having to get home in potentially bad weather is not happening. Rain is ok as they have umbrellas.
    If you can come during the week, we are open Tuesday and Thursday AM 10-12 for work, and we'll also be there to serve you. Next date is April 5th for a Saturday. My Saturdays are kind of full up until then getting my house and property stabilized, plus I have to begin working full-time at one of my "real jobs" to pay for the tornado damage here.

GGG

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

GGG, glad to hear you are ok from the storm. Sorry for all the damage you sustained

• railroadrabbit
    16 years ago

Is there another sale date?

• blazepepper
    15 years ago

GGG,

I'm specifically looking for a Green Zebra and a cherokee purple, just one of each. Do you think Village Hardware would have these 2 this week? thanks