Moisture Widely Adaptable

Mature Form Upright, Round

Growth Rate Moderate

Sun Exposure Full Sun

Flower Color Magenta

Fall Color Insignificant

Foliage Color Variegated Yellow and Green

Zones 3-8

Dappled Dawn Lilac, Syringa vulgaris 'Dappled Dawn', has deep red-purple buds that open to fragrant, magenta blossoms. The leaves have an irregular yellow variegation, as if they were splashed with yellow. This variegated foliage is the unique feature of this lilac and adds summer color to the shrub border. This lilac is easily grown in average, medium moist, well-drained soil in full sun. Dappled Dawn Lilac tolerates light shade, but best bloom is in full sun. It prefers organically rich, slightly acidic soils with good drainage. It grows 8-10 feet tall and 6-8 feet wide which makes a very colorful border or screen.

Comments (4)

• rosie
    15 years ago

Hi, Rjinga. I really love lilacs, but sorry, I can't say I have. It doesn't seem to be one of the earlier blooming and more heat-tolerant varieties that do better than the usual kind here in the South. You might do a search on the Descanso Hybrids and on lilacs for the south. They're just one line of earlier-blooming lilacs with the look and fragrance of the ones that are so lovely up north. The Descansos were bred in the dry climate of Descanso Gardens in LA, just down the road from my old home, but some varieties, from that line and others, have been bred to be at least somewhat mildew-resistant, a problem here with many of the northern varieties. Since you obviously like beautiful foliage, that would be a consideration. In any case, that search will ultimately lead you to all of them.

Good luck. People like to refer us to crape myrtles instead, but, nice as those are too in their season, to me there's no resemblance and no comparison. Like comparing oranges and pumpkin pie because they're both orange. :)

• jra4433_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Yes I have a beautiful one I planted in my back yard.
    Its doing wonderful ! I LOVE it !!!
    I'm looking to find another one and can't seem to find one.
    I live in Wisconsin.

• buford
    12 years ago

I had 5 lilacs. 2 died last year in the heat, they just can't take it. Although the remaining 3 bloomed nicely this spring. I have one that is a very deep purple and the scent is to die for. I don't think it's dappled dawn though.

• soapwork_telus_net
    12 years ago

I have a 'dappled dawn' lilac and it's finally doing really well after moving it 3 times in the last 5 years (my kids keep running into it with bikes and sleds). I can't wait to see it with flowers, but the foliage is still beautiful; so even without flowers it's a showstopper! I got it at Extra foods for $7.00, what a bargain!