Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llink2

Starting plants outdoors instead of in

llink2
15 years ago

I want to get a bunch of warm-weather perenials started from seed. Normally one would do this inside at this time of year, but I don't have any space. I do, however, have a very sunny, south/southeast facing spot on my front porch.

Would it work to start plants from seed and put the seed trays out there? The area is not enclosed, but is sunny and well off the ground. I could cover the trays at night. My main fear is that the seeds wouldn't germinate. Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

do you have some old windows plexiglass or similar which could be used to manufacture a small greenhouse? this could be a viable option. of course, you would probably need suggestions on how to vent it and to keep heat in it during the cold evening hour (or would sun generate enough heat?)

just a thought!

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how warm-weather you're talking about, but you might want to check out the winter sowing forum here on garden web. Quite a few of us have seeds starting outside now, you just have to check on the zone ratings for the plant. Here's the link to the FAQ for the winter sowing forum, which has lists of perennials that you can winter sow....
    faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

I follow this wintersown schedule, see if it might be right for you:

after dec. 21/mid Feburary - perennials/shrubs from seed, the only exception are buckeyes which need to stay moist so they go in as soon as the seed is ready
    Mid-Feb-mid March - cold hardy vegetables such as collards, kales and anything frost tolerant, johnny jump ups, nasturtiums, calendula and other cool weather annuals - stuff I could throw a sheet over if we get a light frost
    April 1st - 15th I check to see how the weather is going and will start my warm weather vegetables
    Everything is done outside.
    We all have microclimates in our yards so that is not hard or fast rules of dates, plus weather changes from year to year. Just my own guidelines and I am late myself!!!

• llink2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Girlgroupgirl, when you sow perennials by seed this way, how large do they get by the end of a growing season? Will something like a coneflower or a butterfly weed bloom that first year?

My budget is battling my impatience.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Coneflower blooms 2nd year - yellow and orange milkweed bloom 1st year and can be annual or short lived perennial depending on winter weather. Other perennial milkweeds bloom 2nd year for me.
    Most perennials will bloom 2nd year - I only grow unusual perennials from seed now and just bite the bullet and buy/trade anything else so I don't have to wait.

GGG

Sponsored