Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle for a container

Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 12:22

I want to plant one in a 20" container on my deck. I love the Tonto and 2nd choice would be Pink Velour. Would anyone like to comment on these selections for a container? It's in full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle for a container

Both are nice semi-dwarf (8-12+ft.), upright selections.
Grown in a small pot, they will probably not attain the height that would be possible in the garden, because of root containment.
Other options would be; Dwarf or Minature cultivars (2-8ft.).
Some weeping cultivars are also available.
Here's a link to TAMU with a litany of cultivars, but many are relatively difficult to find.
Whatever you select, Good Luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtle Varieties

o

i picked up a crepe myrtle 'shrub' of some sort two seasons ago. It looks like it's going to bush out and maybe attain a height of 3' and a width of 4'. don't remember where i got it - Home Depot? i think it came from the Prove Winners nursery? at least, i think that's what it was tagged with. i tried to find the tag but didn't have much luck.

o

Michael Dirr and associates developed a series of dwarf crapemyrtles, at the UGA/CANR facility, Deering,GA, that they named the Razzle Dazzle Series. They are being marketed as Proven Winners/Color Choice plants by Zelenka Nursery (MI,TN,NC) and likely by McCorkle Nursery, which is adjacent to the UGA site. Both sell to big box stores, as well as to local nurseries. A PW/CC retailer is supposed to be a full line dealer, but when "big bucks" talks...well you know how that goes!
Here's a link to the UGA site that lists the Razzle Dazzle Series.
There may be other crapemyrtles designated as PW/CC, so this is probably not an inclusive list.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener's Confidence Collection

o

that's it! good call, rb!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here