Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackdogga

soil amendments

blackdogga
15 years ago

I'm planning to start a garden in a shaded area (40x50) that has nothing but hard clay. Does anyone have suggestions for sources for topsoil and compost available in large amounts in the Carrollton area? Also, I've been told that gypsum helps break up hard soil. Does anyone have any experience with that?

/thanks

Comments (14)

• detodd
    15 years ago

There is a place on Hwy 5 between Roopville and Tyus that makes and sells compost. I will get the number for you in the morning on my way home.

dt

• blackdogga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, dt. I really need a local source (and lots of compost.

• mad_gardener
    15 years ago

Blackdogga,

I posted a similar question not long ago, and received some helpful responses! See the link below for the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil improvement for Georgia clay!

• blackdogga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mad gardener -- thanks for the link. There were a lot of good ideas. What did you end up doing?
    ns

• woody_ga
    15 years ago

Organic matter, and lots of it! Nature's Helper, compost, lots of mulch - use it all.

• mad_gardener
    15 years ago

Blackdogga,

Since I posted my question about improving clay soil not too long ago I'm afraid that I haven't had much time to act. I'm currently considering the merit of gypsum but I'm slightly concerned about the potential for contaminating local water sources. I already have a compost bin, but I'm afraid that it's slow going on that end. I'm also thinking of starting to vermicompost, since that would hopefully be a little faster. Lastly, I going to try to control my "ooooh shiny" impulses" and put the money that I would normal sock into plants into adding amendments (i.e. compost) to the soil. Hopefully, within a few years I'll have greatly improved soil...

• fncer
    15 years ago

I know there are farms around Carrolton. I would suggest taking a Sunday drive and stop and ask a few places if they have old manure you can have/purchase. I purchased a load of old cow manure there last year but can't find the contact info. I think I paid $20.00.

• fncer
    15 years ago

Black gold, composted cow manure, will load for buyer, high in nitrogen, great for gardens. Tee Ogletree Carrollton 770-617-9301

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Visit the Soil, compost and mulch forum on Garden Web - they are a lively group! You could search on "gypsum" for any previous discussion about the benefit of that. There is one thread just devoted to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil forum

• detodd
    15 years ago

The phone number is 770-834-4472.

• blackdogga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate it.
    NS

• aqrose
    15 years ago

You can also look at the online ads in the Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin from the Georgia Dept of Ag. Here's the link to the "Fertilizers & Mulches" section. There is another section specifically for poultry compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizers & Mulches

• joemoedee
    15 years ago

Also you may want to check with Carroll County to see if they offer any free mulch or compost. I was pleased to find out that Newton County offers both for free to county residents, possibly they will do the same. (Now I just need to get the truck out there and have them load it up 2 or 3 times)

• bagsmom
    15 years ago

madgardener -- "oooohhh shiny!" So funny! You are my first laugh of the day! I think all of us garden people have that problem!!!!! :)