Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet peas?

Posted by aqrose 7b NE GA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 14:44

Does anyone know anything about growing sweet peas in our climate? Should I start them now? If so, outside or inside in pots? Any and all info will be welcome. :) I'm a complete novice at growing this flower.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet peas?

I would wait til March to start seeds indoors as they grow quickly once they come up and don't like being transplanted much. Start in peat pots or peat pellets for best results transplanting. They do well here although I have never had them selfseed. I now grow Purple Hyacinth Bean Vines in place of Sweetpeas, they smell as nice and look even better.

o

I got bored in early January and planted Alaska English peas. Supposedly, these are the most hardy variety. They have sprouted and are growing nicely, although I don't expect to get any peas until March. I don't see why you couldn't plant peas now; however, make sure that you plant a hardy variety.

o

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Vroomp. Now is the time to plant sweet peas, and I mean this weekend. For best germination, I always fold a paper towel in fourths and put it flat in a sandwich zip lock baggie. I make a solution 1:10 of water and hydrogen peroxide and throughly wet the paper towel, and then put the seeds on top. In about a week you will have a good 85% germination and then you can plant them outside. Here is an link to Walter Reeves' web site.

http://www.walterreeves.com/qa_display.phtml?qaID=887

o

I am wrong from time to time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetpeas

o

vroomp, you are great! Thanks for the UK link. I wish a lot of the time that we had UK temps, but then I think about the rain. lol Our heat and humidity just do us in for so many plants, don't they?

o

I'm confused. Are we talking about the flower or the vegetable?

o

Thank you for all the responses to my question & I apologize for the confusion. I meant the flower and not the vegatable. :) So I guess it should be sweetpeas and not sweet peas. LOL!

o

I planted in January and they were 12" tall and blooming this weekend.

My DH cut them all down "weed-eating". Not a soul remains.

Any idea where I can buy myself a huge bouquet so I can forgive him? I am utterly devestated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here