Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garischa

hosta roots being eaten?

garischa
15 years ago

I just posted a question about my arum italicums. I also have a second question: I have been growing hostas for about 8 years now with various success. I have them in different areas of the yard, under somewhat different conditions, so it's been kind of hard for me to figure out why some are doing better than others, but I am stumped by one particular hosta. This was the biggest hosta I had. I had not divided it in several years. It's a pretty big, but generic, green shiny leaved one. In the last couple of years I noticed that it had fewer and fewer eyes popping up in the spring.

A couple of days ago I brushed away the leaves that were covering that area and noticed that there are only about 2-3 eyes left. I dug it up and it's tiny. The roots look like they are either rotten, dried out, or have been eaten by something. There are other hostas in the same bed that seem to be doing fine.

Any suggestions what could be causing this? I would think if it was the drought, then all the hostas in the bed would be equally affected.

Thanks so much.

Uli