Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

veggie-planting chart, and carrot question

mayland
15 years ago

I came across this very handy Georgia veggie-garden planting chart (from UGA) and thought I would pass it along, for those (like me!) who are starting veggie gardens and need some help on when to plant things.

And a question for the veggie-growers, are carrots better planted here early (soon) or later in the year? Last year I planted some in Fall, and nothing at all came through the ground! I admittedly did not amend the area, but I had thought the soil was OK to start with. I'll try again this spring...

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA veggie chart

Comments (4)

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

thanks for that! you know, we planted some beets around late October hoping we could get a crop in before cooling, but they literally didn't even get so much as a knot up in the ground.

i'm working on framing out a new raised bed with timbers this weekend (5'x12'), and all my seeds came in from SSE today, so ... hopefully the spring crop will take!

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I just put in carrots two weeks ago (we're in Winder). VERY few are sprouting and none has set up true leaves yet. I'm waiting to see how they'll do. I've transplanted my lettuce, spinach, broccoli cauliflower and planted radishes as well. They seem to be doing okay now that this week's weather has just been amazing!!!

I've worked with the UGA chart for a few years, but I always have to keep in mind that their dates are for Macon and we're quite a bit north from there. I get all excited late Jan and early Feb and get shot down when I realize I need to wait a few more weeks.

• bevinga
    15 years ago

On this chart, what's the difference between garden peas and Southern peas? I planted cow peas last year, but it was in June. I'm not sure what this chart would consider them to be.

Thanks!

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

bevinga, Southern Peas are a type of beans that you can eat dried like cowpeas or dixie butter beans. You are absolutely right on to plant them in warm weather! Garden peas and sugar snaps are the types that are like a regular pea like Green Giant packages - either shellable or in an edible pod.

Sattelite, you got the club root going. This has happened to me when I planted things to late or too early or have too much fertilizer in the soil for root crops. I would try planting beets earlier. Try the carrots a bit earlier. Get the tops going good and hopefully roots will form. If you start them as late as you did, row covers or plastic tenting helps to keep soils warm enough. You could plant now if tented to warm soils. Radishes do the very same thing if the soil is too cold (planted too early) or too much nitrogen in the soil. Some radishes do it anyway if planted at the wrong time of the year!

Hope this helps,
    GGG

Sponsored