Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevega_gw

Natives/ideas for wooded backyard

stevega
16 years ago

I would like ideas for two areas of my backyard. The first is a sloped wooded area that I can see from my back deck and enjoy walking through. The two pictures below show the area and can be connected. The yellow indicates the area that receives 5-6+ hours of sun/day. The white arcs will be dry stack walls (1' high)to add definition to the area and hold on to some water. Soil is red clay. Please suggest plants of interest taking into account our water woes.

In this other area, I would like to provide some definition between my yard and my neighbor's. I painted in shrublike green things to show where they would be. I don't want the "wall" look that I have sketched but less formal. I have tried "yuletide" camelias but they have barely survived. The area gets high shade, has good soil but is pretty dry. Evergreen is not a necessity. Cherry laurels could work. See picture below.

Thank you

Comments (10)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Well, I was all excited until you threw in that part about "taking into account our water woes".

For the sunny parts in yellow, certainly native azaleas would be lovely if that is 5-6 hours of morning sun. Other suggestions would be native viburnums (V. acerifolium can take dryer conditions than others) or chokeberry (formerly Aronia arbutifolia, now something like Photinia pyrifolia; there is a cultivar 'Brilliantissima' that has even better fall color).

For the last picture, have you considered a wax myrtle or two along with something else. Given the natural look, a mixture would be the most attractive arrangement. American holly would also be nice; the cultivar 'Savannah' is very attractive - it is "an interspecific hybrid of I. opaca and I. cassine" (two natives). The are also some yellow fruiting cultivars ("Goldie") of Ilex opaca that would be "wow".

Although GNPS will not be having a spring sale this year, I heard that Dunwoody Nature Center will be.

• herboil
    16 years ago

Wanna know what really gets me?

These property owners( whom are clueless) that plant, let's say, ortanmental oaks or flowers, etc.

WHEN INSTEAD..

Now they could be planting pecan, blueberry, apple or peach trees.....

Mind you, it's NOT all about yeild, and some will find said species to be unattractive or pesty.

However, tens years later when they azzalias are taking over and busty to cut back, they will be saying.. " BeaVER damm, why didn't I plant some productive things....

SOme other ideas are mints and perrinial herbs!! Do you homework( lavender, ROSEMARY, and even sage)

In the spring, plant basil and campanion productive plants around your established golden mines.;.

REMEMBER..... productivity doesn't have to be ugly.... I garden hardcore for myself and others, and produce many meals and smacks throughout the year.... this does not mean I don't do it in style...

love the sun! and love the rain!

• herboil
    16 years ago

oops. I'm a terrible speller, please do not undermine my intelligence because of that... I'll blame jack dandials tommorow for that...

For now, please consider the fruits of your labour, and "install" some good producing plants( even plating wild blackberries on the outskirts of your land)

ps- if you live near alpharetta, providence road, mainstreet and freemaville, I can help you with your work... email me!

• herboil
    16 years ago

one more note before I dig myself a bed

please do not plant holly bushes! for the love of kids or yourself... I'd hate to see someone fall into a thorn bush on accident..

at least with pear cactus, rasberry or blackberry you can fall into thorns and snack on some awesome eats,,,

GOOD EATS, as Alton brown calls them.

and like I may have mentioned before... some of these so called productive plants are unattractive??
    Try saying that to a homeowner picking two gallons of blueberries, blackberries, and pecans all within a seaon, and twice as much the next year..
    It will make it ALL WORTH IT to plant some FOOD instead of FLUFF!

FOOD VERSE FLUFF!

if you're a rich sun of a gunner who does not like stlye, I retract my previous offer to customize my opinion of your already limited ideals...

However I'm open to gesture,
    Goodnight
    Herb

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ellen.
    As ususal you are right on with recommendations. I have some native azeleas growing back in the woods and I have transplanted one to see how it does. They are pink and about 10' tall. It's difficult to find young/small ones.
    I have a varigated variety back near the fence that I got at Full Bloom. Does anyone around here have a selection of native azeleas? I usually have to go to Scottsdale Farms to find what I want. I know Lazy K in Florida has lots. Same question applies to the viburnum recommendations.
    Any suggestions for native (or other) periennials? I have coryopsis, coneflowers, asters, daisys, salvia and caryopteris in the area. Some hostas and ferns in the shade.
    Agree with the mixture idea in the other area. What would go along with the hollies?
    Thanks again.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Lazy K Nursey is located at Pine Mountain, GA, near Callaway Gardens. He has a retail Garden Center in downtown Pine Mountain also. Excellent source for Native Azaleas and other Native shrubs & plants.
    Have purchased hundreds of plants there and they have all been top quality.
    Worth a trip if you need lots of plants. Price is very reasonable.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy K Nursery 's Garden Delights Garden Center

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I think Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville would have a lot of what you're interested in. They are closed for most of the month but will reopen after February 25th. I'll link their website below. They have azaleas and viburnums. I also found a couple of 3 gallon native azaleas at Home Depot last year (they had sweetshrub too, including the 'Athens' cultivar). Lazy K is near Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia, by the way. I would not be surprised to find that Nearly Native gets their azaleas from Lazy K, many places do.

Nearly Native also lists a couple of lesser known native evergreen shrubs: Dirca palustris and Osmanthus americanus. Check on wax myrtles too. I really like Illicium floridanum, but it can handle only morning sun.

You can get some viburnums this weekend at the GNPS Symposium on Saturday. There will be a few there to tie in with the presentation on native viburnums.

Suggestions for other sun perennials: Asclepias tuberosa (or other Asclepias, known as butterfly weed), Penstemon digitalis (beardtongue), Goldenrod (Solidago 'Fireworks' is a good one), Verbena canadensis 'Homestead Purple' (more of a ground cover), Mouse eyed coreopsis ('Nana') is a good performer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nearly Native nursery

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

As far as where to look for good plants for your yard - put a star on April 11-12 for the Garden Expo in Gainesville, GA. It is held at the Chicopee Woods Agricultural Center and has been called "The best two day plant sale in Georgia." Lots of natives, ornamentals... rainbarrels and other water-saving ideas... garden art... Definitely worth the drive. It is put on by the Hall County Master Gardeners so if you bring your info they are more than happy to look at what you have and make suggestions that would suit you. The vendors are from all over the region and hand-picked to be reputable and knowledgeable. And there is sure something to say for being able to meet the people who grow and propagate the plants and be able to ask them specific questions!

On a more personal note, I have to say that I put in wax myrtle and love it. It is a nice shape and size and the birds love it. Native holly is also a nice one. Almost any native would be happy in your yard as long as it is native to the conditions you have! You just have to do the homework.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall Co. Master Gardeners Spring Expo

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and information. I am researching the growing requirements for the plants and will contact the various sources.

Sorry about the Lazy K location, I know better.

Concur on the Gainesville Garden Expos. I have attended the Spring and Fall Expos since I moved here a couple of years ago. Always come back with good stuff.
    Thanks again

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

I would look to plant some more evergreens. The property looks pretty dreary with all those bare trees all winter long.

Sponsored