Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Pear Updates?

Posted by manfromyard 8A (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 15:49

Anyone get any good production from these? I've seen posts where people say Yes, but they don't know what the variety is. I'm having trouble finding either a self-fertile variety or a pollinating pair that is fire blight resistant.Does anyone have a named variety that does well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Pear Updates?

Man,
I'm up here in the frigid northland of southern west-central KY, so my input may not be appropriate for you, but here 'tis.

Not many Asians on the NCGR list of fireblight-resistant cultivars(see link below).
But - I do see Ya Li on the list, and it has been a standout here, ever since it began fruiting, 3 years ago. No FB - and I do have FB in my orchard. The fruits are very good; it's the latest-ripening Asian in my collection.
Tsu Li is also on the list, but I don't care much for it.
Chojuro is my fave - beautiful russetted fruits, with a butterscotch undertone in the flavor. I does take some FB hits, but it's not been unmanageable.
You might also look into Tennosui, a seedling of the Tenn pear, presumably with Hosui as the pollen parent. It's getting good reviews as far south as Houston TX.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR Pyrus - FB-resistant cultivar list

o

Thank you so much. The main concern I have, apart from the fireblight, is the chilling hours. Tennosui looks like it might be a keeper, but I'm having some trouble finding a nursery that has this one. Maybe I'll just put in another persimmon.

o

Just Fruits (Fla.) does a nice job if your local can't supply you and are in an adjacent state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits & Exotics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here