Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kngskid

Anyone growing mango trees or avocado trees(that produce fruit)

kngskid
13 years ago

Is anyone growing mango trees and/or avocado trees(that actually produce fruit) here in Georgia. I have four small mango trees that have been basking in the sun since the welcomed warm-up arrived and now I'm thinking about ordering an avocado tree. Anyone have experience with either?

Comments (7)

• tifbee
    13 years ago

I won't claim to be an expert but I do have some experience with avocado trees. I do know you need 2 avocado trees to pollinate the blooms to produce fruit. I started my trees from seed in the early spring of 2009, so they've been through 2 seasons of growth. They are about 3-4 feet high, have multiple branches, and this is the first year they are expected to bloom. I've noticed a few budding blooms on both trees already and I hope they produce fruit. They will not survive outside during the winter so make sure they have a sunny window to hang out by during the cold months. Avocado trees are a tropical tree so don't overwater, and you might have to provide shelter if there are too many days of rain.

Good luck and I'll post in a few months if there are any fruit.

• kngskid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do your trees suffer when you bring them inside? I've read that some avocado trees can take 12-18 months to ripen their fruit so I'm wondering if the tree(s) would be able to hold its load through those months that it would be inside.

Thanks for responding.

• kngskid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congrats on your two trees, I hope they will flower and fruit for you this year.

Growing fruits and vegetable still excite me. Good luck

• tifbee
    13 years ago

I think the trees do great inside during the colder months. I have a west facing laundry window that I put them next to. I see more growth in the fall/winter time then in the spring/summer. The trick will be when they are taller and heavier, and possibly outgrow the window. Might have to seriously get going on the greenhouse project in the next couple of years.

• bjog_vsnl_com
    12 years ago

I am from PUNE, Maharashtra, India with temperate climate Max temp of 90 - 100 F for a few days in Oct and late April - pre-monsoon. Rainfall 20 - 35 " bet June and Sept - rarely late Oct.
    I have 2 avocado trees in my garden and both were grown from pits.One was about 25 years ago and the otherr one 20 years ago. The older one produced a small marble sized fruit about 5 years ago and nothing else thereafter. The younger one produced a single large one last year.This year I got about 300 med sized fruits. I wonder whether my older one will keep company next fruiting season. I have not used any fertilisers excepting leaf mold. Last year someone suggested EM. Do not know whether it has any effect on fruiting.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

Good to know Capt. Jog. What did you do of the fruit (Avocado)? Are you growing mangoes as well?

I question was posted on Georgia (USA) forum because we have cold weather and trees like Avocado, Mangoes don't grow here.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Capt Bal, EM is for soil microbes