Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Potted Strawberries safe to set out?

squirrellypete
11 years ago

I have several hundred small pots of Strawberries I dug, divided and potted a month or two ago. They've been in the greenhouse but I was wondering if/when I can set them outside. The goal was to try to have a small Spring plant sale this year with them along with some daylilies, etc....possibly at community yard sales, flea markets, etc....If it goes well, I would like to look into applying for a nursery/business license and starting my own small local nursery/daylily farm.

As I am relatively new to keeping potted plants around for any length of time, my question is when is it safe to set the pots outside? I keep reading things that say don't plant strawberries until danger of frost has passed. However, my 4 strawberry beds have been overflowing with live green plants all winter long and we've had plenty of nights down into the low to mid twenties that don't seem to have phased them one bit. Any thoughts on this? Lows are currently in the high 30's to 40's but the 10 day is still calling for some nights to drop into the high twenties next week. Still, that's not bad and it won't stay below freezing for many hours.

They are taking up alot of the greenhouse shelf space so that's why I'm getting antsy. But if the wisdom of the group warns against it then I shall wait longer lol. I can always bring them back in if we get some horrid late Winter hard freeze but I'm just kinda wondering what their cold tolerances are that they could be left outside in.

Danielle

Comments (3)