Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Strawberries safe to set out?

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 16:00

I have several hundred small pots of Strawberries I dug, divided and potted a month or two ago. They've been in the greenhouse but I was wondering if/when I can set them outside. The goal was to try to have a small Spring plant sale this year with them along with some daylilies, etc....possibly at community yard sales, flea markets, etc....If it goes well, I would like to look into applying for a nursery/business license and starting my own small local nursery/daylily farm.

As I am relatively new to keeping potted plants around for any length of time, my question is when is it safe to set the pots outside? I keep reading things that say don't plant strawberries until danger of frost has passed. However, my 4 strawberry beds have been overflowing with live green plants all winter long and we've had plenty of nights down into the low to mid twenties that don't seem to have phased them one bit. Any thoughts on this? Lows are currently in the high 30's to 40's but the 10 day is still calling for some nights to drop into the high twenties next week. Still, that's not bad and it won't stay below freezing for many hours.

They are taking up alot of the greenhouse shelf space so that's why I'm getting antsy. But if the wisdom of the group warns against it then I shall wait longer lol. I can always bring them back in if we get some horrid late Winter hard freeze but I'm just kinda wondering what their cold tolerances are that they could be left outside in.

Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Strawberries safe to set out?

Mine stay out all year. Don't worry about it.

o

Oh thank goodness.....now I can get some leg room in my greenhouse lol.

Thanks GGG

o

i'm starting some yellow strawberries from seed. I was thinking of doing a large pot for them on the deck this summer. Do they do well in pots (large, 28+" diameter)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here