Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergreen fern or shade plant recommendations?

Posted by jvan GA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 16:15

i have a shaded space near my backdeck that i'd like to put some greenery in... i plant some of those low spreading bamboo, but it has not taken so i'd like to plant some ferns. what does everyone like prefer? i have autumn ferns in my yard which are nice and i've heard crested ladies do well in GA.

may thow some pereennial flowering plants in there as well, what does well around here? was thinking, Aster or Columbine. think hydrangea is a little to big.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergreen fern or shade plant recommendations?

Native evergreen ferns include Christmas Fern and Ebony Spleenwort. Another non-native evergreen fern (like Autumn) is East Indian Holly Fern.

Asters like sun for the most part (there is a white woods aster that can take some shade, but I don't know where you'd buy it). How about variegated Solomon's Seal for that area? Of course Hostas are a shady standby also, as well as Cast Iron plant. Epimediums are also very popular these days for shade.

o

Hellebores are nice with ferns, and mine did really well in the drought. Pretty flowers, too!

o

Japanese Holly Fern are also evergreen. I posted a similar question in the cottage garden forum. The title of the thread was "Shade Lovers". I got lots of great feedback. Nik

o

Fatsia and variegated Cast Iron Plants do well in shade and have pretty leaves that would add variety to the area. You could put some ferns in the front of these as a smaller edging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here